Newborn Jaundice (cont.)
Newborn Jaundice Treatment
Newborn Jaundice Self-Care at Home
- Sunlight helps to break down indicrect bilirubin so that a baby's liver can process it more easily.
- Place the child in a well-lit window for 10 minutes twice a day is often all that is needed to help cure mild jaundice. Never place an infant in direct sunlight.
- If the bilirubin level is too high, the child may need to be placed under a special type of light. This treatment is called phototherapy.
- Sometimes, such lights can be set up at your home with careful monitoring.
- The doctor (with the parent's help) will decide whether to begin a child on phototherapy.
- If an infant's bilirubin levels are very high or if the child appears ill, the baby will most likely be admitted to the hospital for treatment.
Must Read Articles Related to Newborn Jaundice
Acetaminophen (Tylenol) Poisoning
Acetaminophen (Tylenol) poisoning is caused primarily by damage to the liver. Symptoms of acetaminophen (Tylenol) poisoning include nausea, vomiting, abdominal ...learn more >>
Anatomy of the Digestive System
Digestion is the process in which food is broken into smaller pieces so the body can use them to build and nourish cells and provide energy. The digestive syste...learn more >>
CT was discovered independently by a British engineer named Sir Godfrey Hounsfield and Dr. Alan Cormack. It has become a mainstay for diagnosing med...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Newborn Jaundice: