Viewer Comments: Night Sweats - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Night Sweats:

Night Sweats - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with night sweats.

Comment from: Eeewsweaty, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I am a basically healthy 50-yr old female, but have been waking at night for a year: clothing drenched, and stinking with a new kind of body odor. This has nothing to do with the temperature in the room, and it is frankly insulting that so many health articles will suggest something so obvious. It's ridiculous. I get up and have the chills, go urinate, change damp clothes, when i return the bed feels super hot. My body is like burning from the inside out. Dr says I am not menopausal. I can't take progesterone due to painful fibroid breast cysts. I have noticed I don't sweat when napping, nor do I seem to have as much trouble when I am traveling.

Comment from: Carolk, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I am 66 and I have been having night sweats for years. They always occur toward morning. When I awaken, my clothing and bedding are soaked, but I am freezing cold. I have to curl up and get warm before I can get up. If I get up early (before the sweat) it will occur later in the day if I nap. It's ruining my sleep! My doctor doesn't take it seriously.

Comment from: Dan, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 05

I just sleep with shorts. I wake up every night around 2-3 a.m. with my pillowcase drenched. I just flip my pillow over and go back to sleep. The weird thing is, on weekends when I stay up later, it doesn't happen. I think it's because I'm naturally a night person and I have to force myself to go to sleep earlier during weekdays. It's been happening for about three months now.

Comment from: Margaret, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 09

I am 65 years old and have had night sweats soaking my sheets and pillow and duvet. When I wake I really smell sweaty. It's disgusting and my sheets are washed every day!

Comment from: Sam, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

For the last six months I have been waking up freezing and the bed is soaking. When it first started I came down with flu within two weeks and I put it down to that but now I am over it and I am still having problems. My blood tests are all normal and I am waiting for my chest x-ray results. I am only 37 so I do not think it is the menopause.

Comment from: Mamak, 35-44 Female Published: March 14

I get hot every night. It's hard to sleep and most times I wake up drenched. My pillow and clothes are soaked and it happens even if I take a nap in the day time.

Comment from: jmarch, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 31

Last night I sweated so bad I had to change my bedding and clothes three times.

Comment from: dawn, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 09

I'm a 34 year old woman and have been getting drenching night sweats more than six years. They have gotten worse over time and I wake two times a night and have to change me and bed. All my blood work is clear. My weight is under seven stone and I can't seem to put on any more. I think it's because I lose it by sweating so much at night.

Comment from: Lindalmcdonald, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 13

For the last three weeks I have had terrible night sweats that wake me up three times a night. I end up having to change my clothes and my pillow case, bed sheets, and everything. I can't help but wonder why this is happening now.

Comment from: sleepy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

i went through menopause about 20 yrs ago but still continue to have night sweats. I haven't had a good night sleep in years. I have had three lumpectomies, all benign, so am reluctant to take hormone therapy.

Comment from: maggie, 45-54 Female Published: September 10

I am 49 years old and for about 2 weeks I have been experiencing night sweats. I sweat at the back of my neck and down my chest.

Must Read Articles Related to Night Sweats

Fever (in Adults)
Fever in Adults A fever is a body temperature of 100.4 F or greater. A fever may be caused by a virus, bacteria, fungus, blood clot, tumor, drug, or the environment. Treatment ...learn more >>
Hypoglycemia (Low Blood Sugar)
Low Blood Sugar (Hypoglycemia) Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) is caused by overmedication, use of certain medications, use of alcohol, missed meals, kidney or liver infection, and more. Commo...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Night Sweats:

Night Sweats In Women - Treatment

What was your treatment for night sweats?

Night Sweats - Menopause

Please share your experience with night sweats and menopause. For example, how many years have you suffered from night sweats due to menopause?

Night Sweats - Cancers

Please share your experience with night sweats and cancer.