Viewer Comments: Night Sweats - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Night Sweats:

Night Sweats - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with night sweats.

Comment from: helenah, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 09

My boyfriend used to sweat at night. I asked him why but he did not say. Then I tested for HIV and was positive, but now he denies it and blames me.

Comment from: ajones235, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I am a 40 year old female. I have had night sweats for over a year. I sleep with my window open and fan on year around. I sleep either without any clothes or just a short sleeved night shirt. Lately I have been running a low grade fever on and off for two and a half months and have to change my pajamas three times per night, and I have lost 15 unexplained pounds in 2 months.

Comment from: ladyrob, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

When I was recovering from hip replacement surgery I suffered severe night sweats. I would wake up totally drenched and have to change my PJs and the bedclothes every night. It happened years ago when recovering from thyroid surgery too. After a while the sweats became less sever and then they stopped.

Comment from: happyman2, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 22

I was diagnosed with pneumonia and have taken all of the medications and antibiotics. It has been about 5 days since I finished the medications and I have been waking up every night drenched with sweat and soaking wet sheets.

Comment from: filmlady, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 11

I was diagnosed with breast cancer last year. After I finished my radiation treatments, I had severe night sweats for weeks before developing pneumonia. My doctor says the pneumonia was linked to the radiation treatments. Once my pneumonia was treated with high-dose steroids, the night sweats went away (had to change several times per night, soaked through pillows, sheets, etc.) The problem is that the night sweats have come back again over the last few weeks, and I'm afraid I might be getting sick again -- even though my doc says my lungs sound clear. Sigh.

Comment from: 45-54 Female Published: May 03

I am 49 years old and I am experiencing profuse sweating during the day and at night. I have a hard time staying asleep at night because I am hot one minute, then cold the next, and I am up and down all night long. I think it might be menopause, but I'm not sure. I have never had such a hard time sleeping before and I wonder when this is going to go away. I should probably go see my doctor and get properly diagnosed. That way, I can be treated for this condition, rather than suffer from it.

Comment from: michlaub, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

I was just awakened again by night sweats. This time, it was so bad I had to change my tee shirt three times. My body was completely drenched. My hair was so wet, you would think I just had a shower. My tee shirts looked like someone sprayed me down with a hose. I am 41 years old and this has been happening now for well over a year. I did go to see a doctor, who told me that I may just be one of those lucky women who is going through menopause early. Yay for me.

Comment from: Kmc062808, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 05

I'm a 54-year-old male. I was diagnosed with transitional cell bladder cancer in 2003. It came back in December of 2008 and is now in my lymph nodes. I have had the night sweats for about a year now, not every night, but most nights, I wake up soaked from my head to my waist. I was told by my oncologist it was because of the cancer. But he could not tell me why or if I could stop the sweats, so I don't know if it is the cancer or something else. I am treating myself with an alternative cancer treatment that worked very well for me. I killed most of the cancer in my body to the point the lymph nodes were no longer detectable with a CAT scan and all my cancer markers were back in normal range. The sweats stopped. My markers slowly have climbed back up over the past year and I now have the night sweats back again. So now I know for sure that it was the cancer that is causing my night sweats, but I still don't know why the cancer makes me sweat at night when I'm sleeping.

Comment from: mocu, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

Last month I came down with what was diagnosed as a bad case of pneumonia. But the symptoms also included extreme sweating every night, soaked from head to toe and all the way through the bedding. The doctors tell me that this type of heavy sweating is a typical sign of tuberculosis. As it were, I was exposed to TB in my childhood and have had "latent" (inactive) tuberculosis ever since. I am now told that I should have been treated with medication to eradicate the TB as soon as the first test came back positive (I never was treated) because latent TB can turn active even decades after contracting it, especially in older adults. So, the doctors are now convinced that I came down with active tuberculosis. For those of you who sweat at night through your clothes and bedding, you may want to have a simple TB test.

Must Read Articles Related to Night Sweats

Fever (in Adults)
Fever in Adults A fever is a body temperature of 100.4 F or greater. A fever may be caused by a virus, bacteria, fungus, blood clot, tumor, drug, or the environment. Treatment ...learn more >>
Hot Flashes
Hot Flashes and Menopause Hot flashes are a common condition experienced by women in the perimenopause and menopause transition. The exact cause of the hot flashes is not clear. Symptoms...learn more >>
Hypoglycemia (Low Blood Sugar)
Low Blood Sugar (Hypoglycemia) Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) is caused by overmedication, use of certain medications, use of alcohol, missed meals, kidney or liver infection, and more. Commo...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Night Sweats:

Night Sweats In Women - Treatment

What was your treatment for night sweats?