Viewer Comments: Night Sweats - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Night Sweats:

Night Sweats - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with night sweats.

Comment from: maimie, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 06

I am 75 yrs of age and have continual night sweats. I get a maximum of 2 hrs between each event. I am having to change my nightdress a couple of times each night. Also sleeping on a beach towel to so as not to damage the mattress. I am at a loss as to why this is happening and how I can stop it. Oh to go to bed and sleep through and wake up in a dry nightdress and bed!!! I have not been able to find anyone who can give me a reason why this is happening.

Comment from: helenah, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 09

My boyfriend used to sweat at night. I asked him why but he did not say. Then I tested for HIV and was positive, but now he denies it and blames me.

Comment from: ajones235, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I am a 40 year old female. I have had night sweats for over a year. I sleep with my window open and fan on year around. I sleep either without any clothes or just a short sleeved night shirt. Lately I have been running a low grade fever on and off for two and a half months and have to change my pajamas three times per night, and I have lost 15 unexplained pounds in 2 months.

Comment from: ladyrob, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

When I was recovering from hip replacement surgery I suffered severe night sweats. I would wake up totally drenched and have to change my PJs and the bedclothes every night. It happened years ago when recovering from thyroid surgery too. After a while the sweats became less sever and then they stopped.

Comment from: happyman2, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 22

I was diagnosed with pneumonia and have taken all of the medications and antibiotics. It has been about 5 days since I finished the medications and I have been waking up every night drenched with sweat and soaking wet sheets.

Comment from: filmlady, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 11

I was diagnosed with breast cancer last year. After I finished my radiation treatments, I had severe night sweats for weeks before developing pneumonia. My doctor says the pneumonia was linked to the radiation treatments. Once my pneumonia was treated with high-dose steroids, the night sweats went away (had to change several times per night, soaked through pillows, sheets, etc.) The problem is that the night sweats have come back again over the last few weeks, and I'm afraid I might be getting sick again -- even though my doc says my lungs sound clear. Sigh.

Must Read Articles Related to Night Sweats

Fever (in Adults)
Fever in Adults A fever is a body temperature of 100.4 F or greater. A fever/...learn more >>
Hypoglycemia (Low Blood Sugar)
Low Blood Sugar (Hypoglycemia) Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) is caused by overmedication, use of certain medications, use of learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Night Sweats:

Night Sweats In Women - Treatment

What was your treatment for night sweats?

Night Sweats - Menopause

Please share your experience with night sweats and menopause. For example, how many years have you suffered from night sweats due to menopause?

Night Sweats - Cancers

Please share your experience with night sweats and cancer.