Viewer Comments: Night Sweats - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Night Sweats:

Night Sweats - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with night sweats.

Comment from: BattleAngel, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

I periodically awaken during the night sweating so profusely that my hair is dripping and my bedclothes and pillow are soaking wet. I am post-menopausal without current known infection. The sweating can occur with light bedclothes, so I don't think it's related to being overly warm. I've reported it to my internal medicine physician and my hematologist (I have ITP), but neither feel the need for further testing at this time. It would appear to be merely a periodic nuisance.

Comment from: gil, 55-64 Male Published: February 05

I have been sweating when I sleep most of my life. I am 58 years old and I believe I have had this symptom since I was 16. Sometimes it is bad and sometimes I do not sweat at all. I usually feel my stomach very warm and it concerns me, other than that I feel great, eat well and exercise 3 times a week. Weigh about 172 lbs, not over weight much, work out a lot. When I am awake I feel strong and healthy. I should mention I have high blood pressure but it has been recently.

Comment from: WakeyWakey, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

Have been experiencing night sweats for several nights. I wake up drenched from chest to legs and have to change my nightclothes. I was thinking it was the menopause (I'm 47) but having read some information it may be the anti-depression tablets I am taking, although I have been on them for several months now.

Comment from: bg1930.com, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: December 28

I have had night sweats three times in one week. It does not occur often, but I am concerned. I have neuropathy in my legs.

Comment from: sparksalot, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I have symptoms similar to ones posted. I wake up drenched. My shirt and my legs are wet. I switched sides with my BF to see if it was the heater that was making me sweat so much at night. He said he was fine. So he said it was all me. Today I decided to look it up and I am feeling strongly that I have a problem. I am usually sleeping in a cold room, relatively speaking, right next to a heater and window. Then I am in a tank top and short sleeping shorts. I should be cold if anything. I am for a while but then I wake up drenched. I also get the chills right after. I am glad I know now.

Comment from: sweetstuff, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 18

Many times I sweat around the neck and chest. Mainly, because I believe I am over-blanketed. I sleep on my side with the covers held under my chin and neck with my hands. It's usually not severe. However, whenever I have a cold or sinus/chest infection, whether I am feverish or not, I sweat profusely around my chest and neck, and sometimes upper back, enough so that I must change my tee-shirt, sometimes 3-4 times a night and the pillow and bed clothes are wet. When the cold is gone, so is this particular kind of night sweat. Also, I never sweat anywhere else usually. This has been on-going since my 20s. I am a 49 year old male. Not overweight and in relatively good shape, exercise 3-4 times a week.

Comment from: puzzled_here, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 21

I'm a 28 year old female and I have been "suffering" with night sweats for a year now. I really didn't think anything was wrong, and the thing is I live in a little town where nurses are available, but doctors are flown in, maybe, twice a month. So the internet plays a big part and reading all the symptoms of other people going through pretty much the same thing. I know I must get to a doctor, because you never know. It can range from a simple cold to something more serious like cancer.

Comment from: jennie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

Hi l'm just about to turn 48, for the last 18 months. I have been having hot flashes in the day time along with dizziness I am menopausal the doctors have said. For the last 4 months now l have had the night sweats up to 6 times a night, (not nice). I sleep with nothing on and it's still just as bad. l throw the legs out of bed to cool off.

Comment from: 45-54 Female Published: May 03

I'm 47 and have had night sweats for about 3 years. They get worse for 7 to 10 days before my period - soaking wet all up my back into my hair. I often spend night throwing off all my covers because I am sweating only to pull them back up when my arms and legs get cold, every couple of hours - haven't had 8 continuous hours of sleep in year. So annoying!

Must Read Articles Related to Night Sweats

Fever (in Adults)
Fever in Adults A fever is a body temperature of 100.4 F or greater. A fever may be caused by a virus, bacteria, fungus, blood clot, tumor, drug, or the environment. Treatment ...learn more >>
Hot Flashes
Hot Flashes and Menopause Hot flashes are a common condition experienced by women in the perimenopause and menopause transition. The exact cause of the hot flashes is not clear. Symptoms...learn more >>
Hypoglycemia (Low Blood Sugar)
Low Blood Sugar (Hypoglycemia) Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) is caused by overmedication, use of certain medications, use of alcohol, missed meals, kidney or liver infection, and more. Commo...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Night Sweats:

Night Sweats In Women - Treatment

What was your treatment for night sweats?