Viewer Comments: Night Sweats - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Night Sweats:

Night Sweats - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with night sweats.

Comment from: marcie, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: July 22

From time to time I am experiencing profuse sweating around head and neck. Pillow is wet, and hair mats to head. I have bad insomnia. I cannot take sleeping pills. I take pravastatin, methotrexate, folic (folic acid with B vitamins), propranolol, calcium, biotin, and 250 mg magnesium.

Comment from: nanad, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

My body is wet with sweating. I have to wipe with a towel, my back and face, in the day time as well as at night time. I stopped having hot flashes a year ago, but now get these night sweats.

Comment from: monik, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I have night sweat and it happens when I wake up during the night (after I am awake they start and then I feel cold).

Comment from: Diane, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 07

I am a 59 year old woman, post-menopausal by 19 years. In the past few months, I too am awakened drenched in sweat, bedding soaked. It has nothing to do with room temperature, as I always keep it very cool. I only take one medication, Paxil daily, which I have taken for 22 years. I recently weaned off of a daily dose of Klonopin (after taking for 8 years for anxiety). The process took approximately 3 months and I finished 3 or 4 weeks ago. My ovaries were removed 3 years ago, but have never taken a hormone replacement. I have no other medical issues that I'm aware of, and my diet has not changed. I 'deep sweat' every other night or so.

Comment from: Skippy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 23

I have terrible night sweats, it seems as soon as I get dry it happens again, like a faucet on and off all night long. When you are a woman and have any sweating, right off they say menopause. I had my last period 7 years ago and this is the worst it has ever been. I even tried all over-the-counter medications and for the first 2 years took hormone pills. Now I have been off hormone pills for 5 years and I am a hot mess.

Comment from: gueritaguerita, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 12

My husband has woken me up the past two nights drenched in sweat. He is diabetic, but this has never happened before. I wonder if it is his medication.

Comment from: Cami, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 01

I have woken up twice this week in the early morning, absolutely freezing cold, yet sweat is pouring off me. I sit up on the side of the bed and I am just shaking, it leaves me feeling dizzy and weak all day.

Comment from: MLS, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 26

I am on dialysis, diabetic, with heart stents. I don't always have night sweats, but when I do they are in the upper chest and neck area and the lower back hairline. I can go through 3 to 4 nightgowns that will be wet, as well as pillow cases and the top part of the sheet; usually around 2 to 3 am.

Comment from: Susan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I visit Florida in the winter for a couple of months. While there I get night sweats continuously. I don't get them when I'm living up north. I have no idea what triggers them only when I'm in Florida.

Comment from: carolyn, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I am 75 and lately twice I have been woken up at night with sweating and nausea that last for about two hours.

Comment from: sweaty betty, 55-64 Female Published: October 05

I'd had a lot of stress over a few days and at first I blamed stress for having the night sweats, however, after suffering for a week I knew there was something wrong. The first night that I had sweating, I woke up several times feeling really cold and the duvet was off me. The attic door is directly over my bed and it hadn't been properly insulated and the second night of sweating was blamed on a cold breeze coming down from the attic. The third night that it happened, I got up and put a heavy pajama top on and when I was getting back into the bed I realized that the sheets and my pillow were soaked and really cold. I changed the sheets and awoke shortly after feeling cold, this time I checked the sheets and they were soaked again so I knew there was something wrong. I have been to see my GP and should have the results of some tests soon. The strange thing is I never woke during the sweats only after when the wet sheets went cold.

Must Read Articles Related to Night Sweats

Fever (in Adults)
Fever in Adults A fever is a body temperature of 100.4 F or greater. A fever/...learn more >>
Hypoglycemia (Low Blood Sugar)
Low Blood Sugar (Hypoglycemia) Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) is caused by overmedication, use of certain medications, use of learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Night Sweats:

Night Sweats In Women - Treatment

What was your treatment for night sweats?

Night Sweats - Menopause

Please share your experience with night sweats and menopause. For example, how many years have you suffered from night sweats due to menopause?

Night Sweats - Cancers

Please share your experience with night sweats and cancer.