Viewer Comments: Night Sweats - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Night Sweats:

Night Sweats - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with night sweats.

...
Comment from: sweaty betty, 55-64 Female Published: October 05

I'd had a lot of stress over a few days and at first I blamed stress for having the night sweats, however, after suffering for a week I knew there was something wrong. The first night that I had sweating, I woke up several times feeling really cold and the duvet was off me. The attic door is directly over my bed and it hadn't been properly insulated and the second night of sweating was blamed on a cold breeze coming down from the attic. The third night that it happened, I got up and put a heavy pajama top on and when I was getting back into the bed I realized that the sheets and my pillow were soaked and really cold. I changed the sheets and awoke shortly after feeling cold, this time I checked the sheets and they were soaked again so I knew there was something wrong. I have been to see my GP and should have the results of some tests soon. The strange thing is I never woke during the sweats only after when the wet sheets went cold.

Comment from: Jen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I am a 49 year old female. I have been getting night sweats (from my neck to the chest and on the back only) for about 3 consecutive nights now. There were no sweats on my forehead or anywhere else. I am usually a cold blooded person that needed to wear extra layers to bed. My hand is always cold. I had my blood tested 2 weeks ago and there is no indication that I am having menopause (maybe perimenopausal). I have been stressed lately and also been losing weight (not by choice).

Comment from: Veteran, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 27

When I mention having night sweats, clinicians look at me as if I have 16 eyes just because I am a male. I have had them for years. Most of the time, I just get uncomfortably hot with no actual sweating. I uncover, and when I cool down, I have to recover because I prefer a very cool bedroom.

Comment from: Eeewsweaty, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I am a basically healthy 50-yr old female, but have been waking at night for a year: clothing drenched, and stinking with a new kind of body odor. This has nothing to do with the temperature in the room, and it is frankly insulting that so many health articles will suggest something so obvious. It's ridiculous. I get up and have the chills, go urinate, change damp clothes, when i return the bed feels super hot. My body is like burning from the inside out. Dr says I am not menopausal. I can't take progesterone due to painful fibroid breast cysts. I have noticed I don't sweat when napping, nor do I seem to have as much trouble when I am traveling.

Related Reading: progesterone

Comment from: Carolk, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I am 66 and I have been having night sweats for years. They always occur toward morning. When I awaken, my clothing and bedding are soaked, but I am freezing cold. I have to curl up and get warm before I can get up. If I get up early (before the sweat) it will occur later in the day if I nap. It's ruining my sleep! My doctor doesn't take it seriously.

Comment from: Dan, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 05

I just sleep with shorts. I wake up every night around 2-3 a.m. with my pillowcase drenched. I just flip my pillow over and go back to sleep. The weird thing is, on weekends when I stay up later, it doesn't happen. I think it's because I'm naturally a night person and I have to force myself to go to sleep earlier during weekdays. It's been happening for about three months now.

Comment from: Margaret, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 09

I am 65 years old and have had night sweats soaking my sheets and pillow and duvet. When I wake I really smell sweaty. It's disgusting and my sheets are washed every day!

Comment from: Sam, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

For the last six months I have been waking up freezing and the bed is soaking. When it first started I came down with flu within two weeks and I put it down to that but now I am over it and I am still having problems. My blood tests are all normal and I am waiting for my chest x-ray results. I am only 37 so I do not think it is the menopause.

Comment from: Mamak, 35-44 Female Published: March 14

I get hot every night. It's hard to sleep and most times I wake up drenched. My pillow and clothes are soaked and it happens even if I take a nap in the day time.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Night Sweats

Fever (in Adults)
Fever in Adults A fever is a body temperature of 100.4 F or greater. A fever may be caused by a virus, bacteria, fungus, blood clot, tumor, drug, or the environment. Treatment ...learn more >>
Hot Flashes
Hot Flashes and Menopause Hot flashes are a common condition experienced by women in the perimenopause and menopause transition. The exact cause of the hot flashes is not clear. Symptoms...learn more >>
Sleep Disorders in Women
Sleep Disorders in Women Women are twice as likely as men to have difficulties falling asleep or staying asleep. Younger women have sounder sleep with fewer disturbances. Some women, ho...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Night Sweats:

Night Sweats In Women - Treatment

What was your treatment for night sweats?