Viewer Comments: Night Terrors - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Night Terrors:

Night Terrors - Symptoms

If you or someone you know has night terrors, what are the symptoms?

Comment from: reyesfam, 7-12 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

My son is eight and we have been dealing with night terrors for about a year now. It seems to have started with a disagreement that we had with a neighbor. Once we moved away they seemed to have stopped. But they did not. It is terrifying to see him awake but not really. He gets to screaming and sweating and his heart is racing. There is nothing that I can do. He would run around the house yelling and screaming things. Then as fast as they come it was gone. They seem to come and go.

Comment from: mommapatrick, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 21

My child has night terrors. It's awful. He wakes everyone in the house and there is no calming him down. I can't find a way to comfort him and he will slap me and pull on me. I haven't a clue as to what will spark these but it's awful. I am going to go for medical attention and see what i can do. I don't know how to make things better.

Comment from: carly, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 06

My daughter has been having night terrors for at least a year now (she is 6). She will have weeks or even months without them and then it seems she'll have them almost nightly for a few weeks. I think routine has something to do with it. When our routine changes, such as returning to school after the summer, she seems to have episodes. It is really scary. She will scream and cry and often yell for me. She sits up in bed and opens her eyes but is not awake. Some nights they last for only a few minutes - other nights they can go on for 30 minutes or more. She never remembers them. Occasionally wakes herself up. I usually just comfort her as best I can. I am just hoping she outgrows these soon.

Comment from: A French child, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: September 22

During WW2, I was a young child (4-8). I had frequent nightmares and night fears. Dreams of people cut into bits; afraid of pipe shapes (guns?), of propeller shapes. This must have been due to stories I heard, perhaps also to some extent to some more mysterious form of perception. Then, around 10, I had fears of fire at night, I almost thought I saw fires; I have no explanation for this. Later as an adult in Algeria, in conditions of immediate physical danger, all irrational fears of the dark disappeared for good!

Comment from: terri, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I suffer from Night Terrors, and am 26. I have always had this issue, but it gets worse if i've had a particularly stressful day, for example, a family upset or argument. Also, if I am not tired enough, I will also have them. Sometimes there is no cause for it, and I have different episodes in different places. My Husband comforts me and tells me to go back to sleep, which works, or if I wake myself up, I sit with the light on until the fear has gone. Outwardly, usually, I will sit up in my bed screaming, or rush to find a light switch, or sometimes, just be rooting around in a panic. For me, there is often a csue for this reaction: a person I can see in my room, rats, spiders, etc. Sometimes I don't remember, but if I wake myself up I do.

Comment from: jrprell, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 23

My son is dealing with night terrors right now. He is 3-1/2 years old and wakes up yelling for Mommy but does not recognize me when I go to him. He is sweaty and is thrashing around. He is breathing faster, kind of panting, and his pulse is racing. It is a very scary occurrence.

Comment from: andysmom3, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 30

My son is 3 1/2 he starts screaming and I can't wake him up. He looks around like something is getting him. Sometimes he acts like he is hurt and nothing is there. I just grab him and hold him and sing sometimes that help. SOMETIMES but not all. It's so scary when your child acts like that and you can't do anything to help.

Must Read Articles Related to Night Terrors

Disorders That Disrupt Sleep (Parasomnias)
Disorders That Disrupt Sleep (Parasomnias) Parasomnias are disruptive sleep-related disorders. They are characterized by undesirable physical or verbal behaviors or experiences. Parasomnias occur in asso...learn more >>
Nightmares Nightmares occur from time to time in many children, but they are most common in preschoolers (children aged 3 to 6 years) because this is the age at which norm...learn more >>
Sleep and Sleep Disorders in Children
Sleep and Sleep Disorders in Children Sleep and sleep disorders may be affected by a variety of factors. Learn about the different types of sleep disorders as well as symptoms, causes, diagnosis, an...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Night Terrors:

Night Terrors - Experience

Please describe your experience with night terrors.