Viewer Comments: Night Terrors - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Night Terrors:

Night Terrors - Symptoms

If you or someone you know has night terrors, what are the symptoms?

Comment from: A French child, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: September 22

During WW2, I was a young child (4-8). I had frequent nightmares and night fears. Dreams of people cut into bits; afraid of pipe shapes (guns?), of propeller shapes. This must have been due to stories I heard, perhaps also to some extent to some more mysterious form of perception. Then, around 10, I had fears of fire at night, I almost thought I saw fires; I have no explanation for this. Later as an adult in Algeria, in conditions of immediate physical danger, all irrational fears of the dark disappeared for good!

Comment from: terri, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I suffer from Night Terrors, and am 26. I have always had this issue, but it gets worse if i've had a particularly stressful day, for example, a family upset or argument. Also, if I am not tired enough, I will also have them. Sometimes there is no cause for it, and I have different episodes in different places. My Husband comforts me and tells me to go back to sleep, which works, or if I wake myself up, I sit with the light on until the fear has gone. Outwardly, usually, I will sit up in my bed screaming, or rush to find a light switch, or sometimes, just be rooting around in a panic. For me, there is often a csue for this reaction: a person I can see in my room, rats, spiders, etc. Sometimes I don't remember, but if I wake myself up I do.

Comment from: jrprell, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 23

My son is dealing with night terrors right now. He is 3-1/2 years old and wakes up yelling for Mommy but does not recognize me when I go to him. He is sweaty and is thrashing around. He is breathing faster, kind of panting, and his pulse is racing. It is a very scary occurrence.

Comment from: andysmom3, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 30

My son is 3 1/2 he starts screaming and I can't wake him up. He looks around like something is getting him. Sometimes he acts like he is hurt and nothing is there. I just grab him and hold him and sing sometimes that help. SOMETIMES but not all. It's so scary when your child acts like that and you can't do anything to help.

Must Read Articles Related to Night Terrors

Disorders That Disrupt Sleep (Parasomnias)
Disorders That Disrupt Sleep (Parasomnias) Parasomnias are disruptive sleep-related disorders. They are characterized by undesirable physical or verbal behaviors or experiences. Parasomnias occur in asso...learn more >>
Nightmares
Nightmares Nightmares occur from time to time in many children, but they are most common in preschoolers (children aged 3 to 6 years) because this is the age at which norm...learn more >>
Sleep: Understanding the Basics
Sleep: Understanding the Basics Sleep is defined as a state of unconsciousness from which a person can be aroused. In this state, the brain is relatively more responsive to internal stimuli th...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Night Terrors:

Night Terrors - Experience

Please describe your experience with night terrors.