Viewer Comments: Night Terrors - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Night Terrors:

Night Terrors - Symptoms

If you or someone you know has night terrors, what are the symptoms?

Comment from: Janice, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 13

My son started having night terrors in about 2nd grade, (shortly after school began). He would awake, get out of bed, start walking around, sometimes hitting the dresser, crying, looking scared to death, and walking nonstop around the room, saying 'oh my God, oh my God' over and over. Talking out of his head, I wasn't able to understand most of what he said. He would always be sweating. I talked to his teacher and bus driver to see if there were any problems there (which there wasn't). We had never heard of night terrors, and after searching on Google, there was no doubt that was the problem. That was about 2 years ago, he's 9 years old now, and in the past 4 or 5 months they have really decreased a lot. He just had his 2nd one this week in a long time, but tomorrow is the 1st day back to school. I just hope he doesn't start having them often again.

Comment from: mom from ny, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 01

My son had night terrors. He is now 35 years old and he did outgrow them as the doctor said he would (approximately 13 years old). There was little knowledge back then about night terrors but I would put a cool wash cloth on his face to try to calm him and wake him up slowly. Also I would sprinkle popcorn on the bedroom floor so when he woke up in a panic the popcorn under his feet would wake him. As he got older he would only have them when his breathing was affected with a cold or when he had a fever. I hope this helps some little one because it is very frightening to them and their family.

Comment from: mandy, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 29

My daughter has night terrors she will usually start by walking around the house looks like she is looking for something or lost. Then if you say anything to her it sets off the crying spell and something different will usually hurt but she is not really hurt. This last time she said her teeth felt like they fell out. Her eyes look like they are floating that's how I usually know because she is not awake. She also will see stuff that is not there or jerk her head back and close her eyes as if something just almost hit her. It is a very frightening ordeal but if I just follow her around to make sure she doesn't get hurt and slowly direct her back to her room it takes about 30 minutes to get her back to her room and asleep.

Comment from: Pastor, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 17

My son has suffered from night terrors for two years or so, he will be six in a few weeks. His symptoms are classic night terrors with the exception of associated vomiting. This is one more horrible thing to have to deal with as a parent, but I'm thankful he is otherwise healthy.

Comment from: snewstime, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 03

My sixteen year old son has experienced night terrors since he was very young. We were told that he would probably outgrow them. He had a few years where they were very infrequent, but lately they are recurring about every month. He wakes up repeatedly screaming at the top of his lungs and doesn't stop until we get to him and hug him or rub his back to calm him down. He is sweating and his heart is beating quickly by the time we get to him. His body is usually very tense. After about a half an hour or so, with one parent lying next to him, he usually will fall back to sleep.

Comment from: Caquista, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 03

I have always talked in my sleep for years. I used to have terrors when I was a child. I started counseling and bringing back all the repressed memories. I started having night terrors again. All I know is that I wake up every other hour or someone wakes me up because of screaming in the middle of the night. My doctor raised my dose to 700 mg of Seroquel. So, far I haven't had them again, but I've only had three nights of good sleep.

Comment from: Night terror, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 11

My son has had night terrors since he was about 15 months. He will be 5 next month! What helps my son is turning the lights on when he has these episodes and putting lit on a happy favorite cartoon on TV.

Comment from: Red1969, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 17

My daughter suffered from night terrors, and after keeping track of what she had before bed, I noticed a correlation between dairy products and her night terrors. At that point, I cut out all dairy products at least two hours before bedtime, and her night terrors almost entirely disappeared. I also told a friend whose son suffered from night terrors, and after cutting dairy out before bedtime, his son's night terrors were almost nonexistent. I'm not saying this will work for everyone, but it is worth a try.

Must Read Articles Related to Night Terrors

Nightmares
Nightmares Nightmares occur from time to time in many children, but they are most common in preschoolers (children aged 3 to 6 years) because this is the age at which norm...learn more >>
Sleep and Sleep Disorders in Children
Sleep and Sleep Disorders in Children Sleep and sleep disorders may be affected by a variety of factors. Learn about the different types of sleep disorders as well as symptoms, causes, diagnosis, an...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Night Terrors:

Night Terrors - Experience

Please describe your experience with night terrors.