Viewer Comments: Night Terrors - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Night Terrors:

Night Terrors - Symptoms

If you or someone you know has night terrors, what are the symptoms?

Comment from: mandy, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 29

My daughter has night terrors she will usually start by walking around the house looks like she is looking for something or lost. Then if you say anything to her it sets off the crying spell and something different will usually hurt but she is not really hurt. This last time she said her teeth felt like they fell out. Her eyes look like they are floating that's how I usually know because she is not awake. She also will see stuff that is not there or jerk her head back and close her eyes as if something just almost hit her. It is a very frightening ordeal but if I just follow her around to make sure she doesn't get hurt and slowly direct her back to her room it takes about 30 minutes to get her back to her room and asleep.

Comment from: Pastor, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 17

My son has suffered from night terrors for two years or so, he will be six in a few weeks. His symptoms are classic night terrors with the exception of associated vomiting. This is one more horrible thing to have to deal with as a parent, but I'm thankful he is otherwise healthy.

Comment from: snewstime, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 03

My sixteen year old son has experienced night terrors since he was very young. We were told that he would probably outgrow them. He had a few years where they were very infrequent, but lately they are recurring about every month. He wakes up repeatedly screaming at the top of his lungs and doesn't stop until we get to him and hug him or rub his back to calm him down. He is sweating and his heart is beating quickly by the time we get to him. His body is usually very tense. After about a half an hour or so, with one parent lying next to him, he usually will fall back to sleep.

Comment from: Caquista, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 03

I have always talked in my sleep for years. I used to have terrors when I was a child. I started counseling and bringing back all the repressed memories. I started having night terrors again. All I know is that I wake up every other hour or someone wakes me up because of screaming in the middle of the night. My doctor raised my dose to 700 mg of Seroquel. So, far I haven't had them again, but I've only had three nights of good sleep.

Comment from: Night terror, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 11

My son has had night terrors since he was about 15 months. He will be 5 next month! What helps my son is turning the lights on when he has these episodes and putting lit on a happy favorite cartoon on TV.

Comment from: Red1969, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 17

My daughter suffered from night terrors, and after keeping track of what she had before bed, I noticed a correlation between dairy products and her night terrors. At that point, I cut out all dairy products at least two hours before bedtime, and her night terrors almost entirely disappeared. I also told a friend whose son suffered from night terrors, and after cutting dairy out before bedtime, his son's night terrors were almost nonexistent. I'm not saying this will work for everyone, but it is worth a try.

Comment from: reyesfam, 7-12 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

My son is eight and we have been dealing with night terrors for about a year now. It seems to have started with a disagreement that we had with a neighbor. Once we moved away they seemed to have stopped. But they did not. It is terrifying to see him awake but not really. He gets to screaming and sweating and his heart is racing. There is nothing that I can do. He would run around the house yelling and screaming things. Then as fast as they come it was gone. They seem to come and go.

Comment from: mommapatrick, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 21

My child has night terrors. It's awful. He wakes everyone in the house and there is no calming him down. I can't find a way to comfort him and he will slap me and pull on me. I haven't a clue as to what will spark these but it's awful. I am going to go for medical attention and see what i can do. I don't know how to make things better.

Comment from: carly, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 06

My daughter has been having night terrors for at least a year now (she is 6). She will have weeks or even months without them and then it seems she'll have them almost nightly for a few weeks. I think routine has something to do with it. When our routine changes, such as returning to school after the summer, she seems to have episodes. It is really scary. She will scream and cry and often yell for me. She sits up in bed and opens her eyes but is not awake. Some nights they last for only a few minutes - other nights they can go on for 30 minutes or more. She never remembers them. Occasionally wakes herself up. I usually just comfort her as best I can. I am just hoping she outgrows these soon.

Must Read Articles Related to Night Terrors

Disorders That Disrupt Sleep (Parasomnias)
Disorders That Disrupt Sleep (Parasomnias) Parasomnias are disruptive sleep-related disorders. They are characterized by undesirable physical or verbal behaviors or experiences. Parasomnias occur in asso...learn more >>
Nightmares
Nightmares Nightmares occur from time to time in many children, but they are most common in preschoolers (children aged 3 to 6 years) because this is the age at which norm...learn more >>
Sleep: Understanding the Basics
Sleep: Understanding the Basics Sleep is defined as a state of unconsciousness from which a person can be aroused. In this state, the brain is relatively more responsive to internal stimuli th...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Night Terrors:

Night Terrors - Experience

Please describe your experience with night terrors.