Viewer Comments: Nosebleed - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Nosebleed (Epistaxis):

Nosebleed - Causes

Was the cause of your nosebleed ever diagnosed?

Comment from: Jahommed, Male Published: January 31

I am traveling in China. One night in Beijing at around 10pm my nose began bleeding very heavily from my right nostril. I regularly had nose bleeds which stopped within five to 10 minutes. I expected this one to be no different. Unfortunately after an hour the bleeding had not stopped, at this point I was taken to the emergency department of a local hospital and luckily the ENT doctor was still on duty. A rather interesting character; he soon assured me that the bleeding point was in the forward part of the nose and was most likely caused by the extremely dry and cold weather in Beijing at the time (-15 degrees Celsius). He was however puzzled that the bleeding did not subside. Regardless, he packed my nose with gauze ribbon which unfortunately was extremely painful even with a local anesthetic. Since I was traveling onwards to Southern China the next day, he advised me to see an ENT doctor in 48 hours to have the packing removed. When the packing was removed, the doctor examined my nose and reported that the tissue was infected and the damaged nasal tissue suggested that infection was frequent thus causing the bleeding to take longer to subside and the frequency of nose bleeds to increase given dry enough conditions. He gave me some hydrating nasal spray and vitamin oil for the nose that minimized the effect of dry weather and infection. I will have a blood test on my return to Australia but I am hoping the bleeding does not return, at least while I'm traveling!

Comment from: LucyTwo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I have never had nose bleeds. On Saturday, my nose started bleeding. I sat down, put tissue in my nose and it stopped bleeding. Later during the night I had another nose bleed, but it took longer to stop. On Sunday at 4:00 am, I woke up, sat up to drink some water and my nose bleed started. It bleed from one nostril. I tried pinching my nose shut for 20 minutes. Once I stopped, my nose started bleeding more, then started bleeding out both nostrils. Ten minutes later I was bleeding from my mouth. It was awful. My husband called 911 and I went to the hospital. My blood pressure was very high when the paramedics came. The hospital could not get the bleeding to stop, so the doctor inserted a balloon into my nose. OUCH. He sent me home to make an appointment with an ENT specialize in 3 days. The balloon was so painful. My nose throbbed. Three days later, I went to an ENT and he could see where the bleeding had occurred. He cauterized the area, stuffed some stuff in my nose and sent me home for a week. Actually, I can feel healing in my nose but like so many others have posted, I am so scared this will happen again. Thank you everyone for your posts. I feel better to know I am not alone in this.

Comment from: ja, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

After reading this section briefly, decided where I was pinching was definitely the wrong place and tried the 10 min. at the top of my nose and finally the bleeding quit! Thanks for having the information from others here on this site! I know that it is very late at night and I knew not to lay my head back, but didn't know where to pinch the nose!

Comment from: Geekomatic, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 25

My son's horrendous and frequent nosebleeds stopped immediately after being put on meds for his acid reflux (here in Australia).

Comment from: malik parvez, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 16

My doctor told me that my nosebleeds were caused by high blood pressure.

Must Read Articles Related to Nosebleeds

Broken Nose
Broken Nose A broken nose (nasal fracture) is any crack or fracture in the bony portion of the nose. Causes of a broken nose include fights, sports injuries, motor vehicle ...learn more >>
Facial Fracture
Facial Fracture A fracture is a broken bone. Facial fracture refers to any injury that results in a broken bone or bones of the face. Symptoms of a facial fracture depend on wh...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Nosebleed (Epistaxis):

Nosebleed - Length Symptoms Lasted

How long did the symptoms of your nosebleed last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?