Viewer Comments: Nosebleed - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Nosebleed (Epistaxis):

Nosebleed - Causes

Was the cause of your nosebleed ever diagnosed?

Comment from: LucyTwo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I have never had nose bleeds. On Saturday, my nose started bleeding. I sat down, put tissue in my nose and it stopped bleeding. Later during the night I had another nose bleed, but it took longer to stop. On Sunday at 4:00 am, I woke up, sat up to drink some water and my nose bleed started. It bleed from one nostril. I tried pinching my nose shut for 20 minutes. Once I stopped, my nose started bleeding more, then started bleeding out both nostrils. Ten minutes later I was bleeding from my mouth. It was awful. My husband called 911 and I went to the hospital. My blood pressure was very high when the paramedics came. The hospital could not get the bleeding to stop, so the doctor inserted a balloon into my nose. OUCH. He sent me home to make an appointment with an ENT specialize in 3 days. The balloon was so painful. My nose throbbed. Three days later, I went to an ENT and he could see where the bleeding had occurred. He cauterized the area, stuffed some stuff in my nose and sent me home for a week. Actually, I can feel healing in my nose but like so many others have posted, I am so scared this will happen again. Thank you everyone for your posts. I feel better to know I am not alone in this.

Comment from: ja, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

After reading this section briefly, decided where I was pinching was definitely the wrong place and tried the 10 min. at the top of my nose and finally the bleeding quit! Thanks for having the information from others here on this site! I know that it is very late at night and I knew not to lay my head back, but didn't know where to pinch the nose!

Comment from: Geekomatic, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 25

My son's horrendous and frequent nosebleeds stopped immediately after being put on meds for his acid reflux (here in Australia).

Comment from: malik parvez, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 16

My doctor told me that my nosebleeds were caused by high blood pressure.

Must Read Articles Related to Nosebleeds

Broken Nose
Broken Nose A broken nose (nasal fracture) is any crack or fracture in the bony portion of the nose. Causes of a broken nose include fights, sports injuries, motor vehicle ...learn more >>
Facial Fracture
Facial Fracture A fracture is a broken bone. Facial fracture refers to any injury that results in a broken bone or bones of the face. Symptoms of a facial fracture depend on wh...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Nosebleed (Epistaxis):

Nosebleed - Length Symptoms Lasted

How long did the symptoms of your nosebleed last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?