Viewer Comments: Nosebleed - Length Symptoms Lasted

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Nosebleed (Epistaxis):

Nosebleed - Length Symptoms Lasted

How long did the symptoms of your nosebleed last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?

Comment from: James, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: February 03

I have had 8 nose bleeds in just 2 days.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 14

I had a severe nose bleed. It was one of the worst that I have ever experienced. I ended up calling 911 and the ambulance came quickly. They put pressure on the nose to clamp it shut. This did not work as I continued to choke up blood clots. I was rushed to the ER where they clamped my nose with little success. They then inserted a balloon catheter in the nostril which it quickly bled through. They then replaced it with a larger balloon catheter. At this time the bleeding seemed to slow and this worked. I was sent the next day to the ENT which informed me that I need to keep this in for 5-6 days with a follow up visit with him to pull it out and check the nose.

Comment from: Wheezy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 27

Having never suffered nosebleeds until last summer (2013), naturally my first gusher was daunting. Like many of you, I did most things incorrectly (tilting back head choking on fast flowing blood pouring down my throat; not pinching nose or applying ice on bridge...). Finally, after daily nosebleeds--most occurring at night--awakening me from sound sleeps-- I visited an ENT physician last summer. The ENT showed me where/how to pinch my nose during nosebleeds, after which I was to BLOW OUT the extremely deep red, coagulated blood clots accumulated during pinching (very gross & frightening looking) into tissue until flow cessation. Once the bleed stopped, I was to take half a cotton ball, saturate it with Afrin, and pack it into my nose for at least 15 minutes. This contracts the vessel. This year's nosebleeds began three weeks ago for which I used the 'pinch and blow' method to stop the flow, followed by packing a saturated cotton ball in my nostril. However, I prefer witch hazel with aloe as it's homeopathic and works just as well as Afrin but without the dryness--a nosebleed's cardinal enemy.

Comment from: Cconners, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I was sitting on the bed petting my cat when all of the sudden my nose starts gushing. I don't get nose bleeds often or actually ever. I haven't had one in almost 15 years. But anyways I start freaking out. I clotted it up with a piece of paper towel. This happened twice finally after the third handmade packing it suddenly stopped.

Comment from: First timer, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 14

I had my first nose bleed in decades this morning. I am in a hotel in a city far from home. I write this to tell you all that like we learned to do for our child, I got ice and put it in a towel behind my neck and it stopped the bleeding. Hope this helps someone else as it can be a bit unnerving to see the amount of blood loss in such a short period of time.

Comment from: BleedingPerson, Female (Patient) Published: June 17

I had been suffering from a series of minor nose bleeds for about a week. I had never had a nosebleed before. None of them were entirely serious and lasted less than a minute. I was at a play when I noticed the blood splattered on my shirt and pooling on the floor. I looked in the mirror and was suddenly very aware of the massive amounts of blood streaming from my nose, down my neck and shirt. I tried to stop the bleeding with paper towels, which were immediately saturated with blood. When I tilted my head back, the blood began to pour down the back of my throat and out of my mouth. I didn't know what to do, and no one who passed me stopped to help, other than to tell me not to tilt my head. The theater's medics were with me for half an hour, trying to stop the bleeding before the eventually called the paramedics and I was taken to the hospital. After it had stopped, I was told that if it had continued for any longer, I would have died from blood loss. There wasn't any pain and there was nothing I could do to stop the bleeding, save for hold a towel near my nose and try not to irritate it.

Comment from: ladybugleader, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

Ever since I had my third baby 9 months ago I get at least one nose bleed a week. The thing is that it's always my right nostril only. Being almost 40 I maybe had a couple of nose bleeds when I was a child, so this is very odd.

Comment from: Sarah, 7-12 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I had lots of nosebleeds over the last 2 years each lasting 45 minutes. I have had it cauterized before, and it stopped for 5 or 6 months and then it started again. I'm not really sure what to do. I went swimming and it came out pumping and it happens a lot in school, too.

Comment from: 65-74 Female Published: March 08

I awoke with the bleeding. I tried to use the closest thing to me to stop the bleeding(toilet paper) went to the freezer and got a ice cube and held it to my nose for 15 minutes and a clot came out and the bleeding stopped.

Must Read Articles Related to Nosebleeds

Broken Nose
Broken Nose A broken nose (nasal fracture) is any crack or fracture in the bony portion of the nose. Causes of a broken nose include fights, sports injuries, motor vehicle ...learn more >>
Facial Fracture
Facial Fracture A fracture is a broken bone. Facial fracture refers to any injury that results in a broken bone or bones of the face. Symptoms of a facial fracture depend on wh...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Nosebleed (Epistaxis):

Nosebleed - Causes

Was the cause of your nosebleed ever diagnosed?