Viewer Comments: Nosebleed - Length Symptoms Lasted

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Nosebleed (Epistaxis):

Nosebleed - Length Symptoms Lasted

How long did the symptoms of your nosebleed last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?

...
Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 23

I recently had to go to the emergency room twice within a 24-hour period for heavy nose bleeds. I had never had a nose bleed before. The first ER only put a little lubricate in my nose after the bleeding stopped on its own and sent me home. The next morning, my nose started bleeding heavy again. Blood was pouring from my nose and month with large clots. I was rushed to a different ER where my nose had to be packed. This caused blood to come out of my eyes for a while. The packing had my face aching all night. The next day, I saw an ENT doctor who had to cauterize some blood vessels and repack it. The packing has to remain in my nose for five days. Right now, I have a slight clear dripping from my nose, which the doctor says is normal for now. I am extremely frightened that this will happen again.

Comment from: bri563, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

My nose bled for 45 minutes. I was in the gym working out when it started with a trickle. I carried on, but it started gushing. I was pressing my nose in the wrong place to stop it -- my doctor pressed it from the top. I pinched the bottom part. I was doing all the wrong things, including panicking. I thought it was a massive elevation of blood pressure, which it was not. I have not had any trouble since.

Comment from: ph1967, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I just recently had a nosebleed that lasted for about 1 hour and 20 minutes. I went to an after-hours clinic after about 20 minutes and they sent me to the emergency room (ER). By the time I got there, it had been bleeding for about an hour. They packed it with gauze in the after-hours clinic, and when I got to the ER, the blood was so backed up in my sinuses, that blood was coming out of my tear ducts. It finally stopped on its own. They gave me a nice clamp to use in the ER, and I have used it on two nosebleeds since I got home with success.

Comment from: lacticrat, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 20

The best idea I ever had for dealing with my son's nosebleeds was to invest in a bunch of bright red washcloths. I also found red toilet paper at Wal-Mart! This way, he can't see all the blood on the tissues, and is not nearly as alarmed. He gets nosebleeds often, we live at a high altitude, in a dry climate, but he's old enough now that he just goes and grabs a 'red rag' on his own.

Comment from: James, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: February 03

I have had 8 nose bleeds in just 2 days.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 14

I had a severe nose bleed. It was one of the worst that I have ever experienced. I ended up calling 911 and the ambulance came quickly. They put pressure on the nose to clamp it shut. This did not work as I continued to choke up blood clots. I was rushed to the ER where they clamped my nose with little success. They then inserted a balloon catheter in the nostril which it quickly bled through. They then replaced it with a larger balloon catheter. At this time the bleeding seemed to slow and this worked. I was sent the next day to the ENT which informed me that I need to keep this in for 5-6 days with a follow up visit with him to pull it out and check the nose.

Comment from: Wheezy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 27

Having never suffered nosebleeds until last summer (2013), naturally my first gusher was daunting. Like many of you, I did most things incorrectly (tilting back head choking on fast flowing blood pouring down my throat; not pinching nose or applying ice on bridge...). Finally, after daily nosebleeds--most occurring at night--awakening me from sound sleeps-- I visited an ENT physician last summer. The ENT showed me where/how to pinch my nose during nosebleeds, after which I was to BLOW OUT the extremely deep red, coagulated blood clots accumulated during pinching (very gross & frightening looking) into tissue until flow cessation. Once the bleed stopped, I was to take half a cotton ball, saturate it with Afrin, and pack it into my nose for at least 15 minutes. This contracts the vessel. This year's nosebleeds began three weeks ago for which I used the 'pinch and blow' method to stop the flow, followed by packing a saturated cotton ball in my nostril. However, I prefer witch hazel with aloe as it's homeopathic and works just as well as Afrin but without the dryness--a nosebleed's cardinal enemy.

Comment from: Cconners, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I was sitting on the bed petting my cat when all of the sudden my nose starts gushing. I don't get nose bleeds often or actually ever. I haven't had one in almost 15 years. But anyways I start freaking out. I clotted it up with a piece of paper towel. This happened twice finally after the third handmade packing it suddenly stopped.

Comment from: First timer, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 14

I had my first nose bleed in decades this morning. I am in a hotel in a city far from home. I write this to tell you all that like we learned to do for our child, I got ice and put it in a towel behind my neck and it stopped the bleeding. Hope this helps someone else as it can be a bit unnerving to see the amount of blood loss in such a short period of time.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Nosebleeds

Broken Nose
Broken Nose A broken nose (nasal fracture) is any crack or fracture in the bony portion of the nose. Causes of a broken nose include fights, sports injuries, motor vehicle ...learn more >>
Facial Fracture
Facial Fracture A fracture is a broken bone. Facial fracture refers to any injury that results in a broken bone or bones of the face. Symptoms of a facial fracture depend on wh...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Nosebleed (Epistaxis):

Nosebleed - Causes

Was the cause of your nosebleed ever diagnosed?