Viewer Comments: Nosebleed - Length Symptoms Lasted

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Nosebleed (Epistaxis):

Nosebleed - Length Symptoms Lasted

How long did the symptoms of your nosebleed last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?

Comment from: ladybugleader, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

Ever since I had my third baby 9 months ago I get at least one nose bleed a week. The thing is that it's always my right nostril only. Being almost 40 I maybe had a couple of nose bleeds when I was a child, so this is very odd.

Comment from: Sarah, 7-12 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I had lots of nosebleeds over the last 2 years each lasting 45 minutes. I have had it cauterized before, and it stopped for 5 or 6 months and then it started again. I'm not really sure what to do. I went swimming and it came out pumping and it happens a lot in school, too.

Comment from: 65-74 Female Published: March 08

I awoke with the bleeding. I tried to use the closest thing to me to stop the bleeding(toilet paper) went to the freezer and got a ice cube and held it to my nose for 15 minutes and a clot came out and the bleeding stopped.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I am slightly worried as in the past two days I have had two very severe nosebleeds - both times they continued for about half an hour and bleeding was very heavy - just big constant drops of blood. I know blood always looks more than it is but there was enough to soak straight through several huge bunches of tissues. All I could do was lean forward and wait for it to stop. If I'd pinched my nose I'd have choked! I haven't been doing or taking anything unusual and am not on blood-thinning medication. I've always had occasional nosebleeds as most people do but these were massive.

Comment from: Vagirl4u1973@yahoo.c, 35-44 Female Published: February 16

I never have nose bleeds and just up out of the blue I was taking a bath today and my daughter walked in and said mom your nose is bleeding. It didn't last but a few seconds, but I never have nose bleeds and I decided to blow my nose after the stop and blood clots came out.

Comment from: Howldaloom, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I have never really suffered from nose bleeds in the past. 1-2 a year if I'm very lucky. Anyway, I have had a bad cold/cough/sore throat for few days now and last night I had 2 big nose bleeds. The second one took an hour to stop. In the morning I blew my nose and I ended up having about 5 nose bleeds. One after another. It feels like it's at the back of the nose and I have ended up pulling the clot out with the tissue on countless occasions. Not to be gory, but the clots were big. I have a bad cold and my nose is constantly runny or stuffed up so, I cannot avoid blowing my nose. I'm not sure if I should go to a doctor or just bear down. By the way, I suffer from slight high blood pressure.

Comment from: Dr.RG, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 04

I get nosebleeds after having baths. No, I always make sure that the water is not hot but just lukewarm. However, the main problem starts after I have my evening bath and then go to bed....I wake up with a start and the bleeding starts. At this point, I have to sit up and do all the right things. It takes a while to stop these bleeds, but my main worry is that I get dizzy spells during episodes of nosebleeds. I know that I do not have high blood pressure....so, I am now trying (by trial and error) to find out if certain bath salts, scents, talc etc might be causing them.

Comment from: clr63122, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

I had a nosebleed this morning. It lasted about 15-20 minutes. I have never had high blood pressure, but with the holiday stress and all, I told myself that this was the result (elevated blood pressure). This was the first nosebleed I ever had. I immediately went to the computer and typed in common causes of nose bleeds. The website was packed with the information that I needed.

Comment from: Concerned, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 30

Having never had a nosebleed, I had surgery for severe sinus problems several years ago. Now, after several years, I have recently started having recurring nosebleeds over several days at a time. They are usually of short duration, but happen as many as four times a day. I believe they are anterior, but sometimes I expel large clots from further back in the throat area. I think these are accumulations from when I sleep on my back, but I am not sure.

Must Read Articles Related to Nosebleeds

Broken Nose
Broken Nose A broken nose (nasal fracture) is any crack or fracture in the bony portion of the nose. Causes of a broken nose include fights, sports injuries, motor vehicle ...learn more >>
Facial Fracture
Facial Fracture A fracture is a broken bone. Facial fracture refers to any injury that results in a broken bone or bones of the face. Symptoms of a facial fracture depend on wh...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Nosebleed (Epistaxis):

Nosebleed - Causes

Was the cause of your nosebleed ever diagnosed?