Viewer Comments: Nosebleed - Length Symptoms Lasted

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Nosebleed (Epistaxis):

Nosebleed - Length Symptoms Lasted

How long did the symptoms of your nosebleed last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?

Comment from: cc, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

The exact thing happened to me: I recently had to go to the emergency room twice within a 24-hour period for heavy nose bleeds. I had never had a nose bleed before. The first ER only put a little lubricant in my nose after the bleeding stopped on its own and sent me home. The next morning, my nose started bleeding heavy again. Blood was pouring from my nose and mouth with large clots. I was rushed to a different ER where my nose had to be packed. This caused blood to come out of my eyes for a while. The packing had my face aching all night. The next day, I saw an ENT doctor whom I convinced to remove the painful packing in my nose but who gave me a gel (like Vaseline) and a nasal spray to put in my nose twice daily until I see him in 2 weeks. I will see him in two weeks to determine where the bleed is coming from. I also experienced the slight clear dripping from my nose, which the doctor says is normal for now. I am assuming that I will need to make sure I keep my nose moisturized. I am also afraid that it will happen again.

Comment from: solano626, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I recently had a bad nose bleed. Blood was gushing out of both sides of my nose and out my mouth. My daughter called 911 and I was rushed to the hospital. They checked it and couldn't see where the problem was coming from; packed it and sent me home. I was to see an ENT specialist in five days. I was very paranoid, and with this packing, it was hard to relax. I thought the bleeding had started again later that night, so I went back to the ER where they checked it and said it was normal. I went home and five days, I later went to the ENT specialist. My nose was still oozing blood and he also couldn't see where the problem was coming from, so he packed it again with a lesser packing, but was still very uncomfortable. After 10 more days like this, he took out the packing and the bleeding had stopped. He said that I cannot blow, or pick my nose ever. He told me to get some saline solution, but I can't use anything until it has completely healed.

Comment from: LMT, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 09

I had a nose bleed and panicked. Called 911, and got to ride in the ambulance to the ER only to find out that I was not pinching my nose in the right place. Pinch right under the bridge and do not hold your head back. I vomited blood because I was swallowing large amounts. I had nose bleeds two days in a row. However, this time I immediately pinched my nose in the right place and it subsided within 10 minutes.

Comment from: sassygrandma@q.com, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

When I tip my head down, I get a nosebleed. The bleeding doesn't last long, but the blood is bright red.

Comment from: 3-6 (Caregiver) Published: October 06

My five-year-old only bleeds out of the right side of his nose, and I wonder why that is.

Comment from: firsteverandcurious, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

At age 68 I had my first and only, nosebleed. It just started dripping and wouldn't quit. I was taking an asprin regimen at the time. After approx. 45 minutes I called the nearest hospital and was told to come to the emergency room. So I drove there, holding a washcloth to my nose. By the time I got there, about 15 min., blood was dripping down my arm,neck and all over my shirt. The ER doc put ice on the back of my neck, a clamp on my nose, and gave me more pads to hold to my nose. The doc couldn't see where the blood was coming from, but soon decided to pack my nose with gauze in a (very weak) solution of cocaine with Afrin. I lay there for another hour until it finally quit bleeding. I was told to go home and keep my head up and not move much for the rest of the day, and to keep the gauze in my nostril for 2 days if I could, but the next day the gauze end stuck to a tissue I was blotting my nose with and came part way out so I pulled it all out. I've been a bit paranoid since then, but haven't had a repeat of the nosebleed. I am off asprin now, but will use it again soon, just not every day. There didn't seem to be any reason for the nosebleed, which is why I'm on this site now looking for clues. I was in the ER for over 2 1/2 hrs before the doc released me. I was never in pain. Ice on the back of my neck helped me feel better and I think it helped stop the bleeding.

Comment from: HinNC, Male (Patient) Published: February 26

I have found that pinching just below the bridge of the nose is sufficient to stop the bleeding, while pinching the nostrils shut as the article indicated can result with blood pooling in the nose. Why let it run back down to your mouth (maybe to protect the carpet), just hold a rag or towel under while keeping your head in an upright position and not tilted back.

Comment from: Amazed, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 29

My 8 year old had a head and chest cold. Upon blowing her nose, she started a nosebleed. After 45 mins, I took her to our local ER. After they made her wait for 2 hours, they used silver nitrate 3 times (first time forgetting to use lidocaine, thus burning her). They watched her for 15 minutes, then sent us home to follow up with an ENT if it started up again. They told us not to return to their ER as they were not equipped to handle her nosebleed! Of course as soon as we got home, it started up again, the ENT was of no help. I brought her into a big city hospital, where they applied 2 expanding cremes, which did nothing. They finally packed her, which slowed the bleeding. Overall, she bled heavily for 14 straight hours. She was admitted for observation. If the packing had not worked, they were going to use Afrin spray or consider surgery. We were told to leave the packing in and let it fall out on its own. This happened 26 hours after insertion. She has to take it easy for another week. I never imagined that a simple nosebleed could turn into such a nightmare!

Must Read Articles Related to Nosebleeds

Broken Nose
Broken Nose A broken nose (nasal fracture) is any crack or fracture in the bony portion of the nose. Causes of a broken nose include fights, sports injuries, motor vehicle ...learn more >>
Facial Fracture
Facial Fracture A fracture is a broken bone. Facial fracture refers to any injury that results in a broken bone or bones of the face. Symptoms of a facial fracture depend on wh...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Nosebleed (Epistaxis):

Nosebleed - Causes

Was the cause of your nosebleed ever diagnosed?