Viewer Comments: Nosebleed - Length Symptoms Lasted

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Nosebleed (Epistaxis):

Nosebleed - Length Symptoms Lasted

How long did the symptoms of your nosebleed last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?

Comment from: Laila, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 21

My story about a "first" nosebleed today is a bit crazy. I had just gone into Starbucks to get a coffee to go. I came out to the car with my coffee and one napkin. I decided to blow my nose with the napkin. Oh boy...that's when the flood started. My napkin was saturated in seconds and no other tissue in the car. Yikes...this was scary! I ran back into Starbucks trying to not be noticed that I was bleeding to death! I grabbed a handful of napkins. Back into the car I went and literally did not know what to do. I called my husband on my cell and he told me the wrong things to do, particularly to put my head back...yuck the blood started going into the back of my throat. I didn't know where to pinch it. Reading from all of you who have posted, now I know! The worst of this nose bleed was the huge clots that came out, and the fact that it lasted so long. I didn't time it but it seemed like forever. I had to start driving while it was going on so I could get home for my daughter's school bus. At this point I was really starting to panic and almost went to the hospital (2 blocks away) but knew if I did I wouldn't get out in time to get home for the school bus. Soooo, I decided to keep driving towards home (15 minutes) away. At this point it must have been bleeding for at least a half hour or 45 minutes. Thank gosh, just before I pulled into the driveway it seemed to stop as suddenly as it started. I had just enough time to run inside and clean up all the blood and get out to the bus. Had my daughter seen all the blood she would have freaked out! When I threw away all the bloody Starbucks napkins I must say I was shocked at how much blood had come out. I never want to go through that again!

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 23

I recently had to go to the emergency room twice within a 24-hour period for heavy nose bleeds. I had never had a nose bleed before. The first ER only put a little lubricate in my nose after the bleeding stopped on its own and sent me home. The next morning, my nose started bleeding heavy again. Blood was pouring from my nose and month with large clots. I was rushed to a different ER where my nose had to be packed. This caused blood to come out of my eyes for a while. The packing had my face aching all night. The next day, I saw an ENT doctor who had to cauterize some blood vessels and repack it. The packing has to remain in my nose for five days. Right now, I have a slight clear dripping from my nose, which the doctor says is normal for now. I am extremely frightened that this will happen again.

Comment from: bri563, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

My nose bled for 45 minutes. I was in the gym working out when it started with a trickle. I carried on, but it started gushing. I was pressing my nose in the wrong place to stop it -- my doctor pressed it from the top. I pinched the bottom part. I was doing all the wrong things, including panicking. I thought it was a massive elevation of blood pressure, which it was not. I have not had any trouble since.

Comment from: ph1967, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I just recently had a nosebleed that lasted for about 1 hour and 20 minutes. I went to an after-hours clinic after about 20 minutes and they sent me to the emergency room (ER). By the time I got there, it had been bleeding for about an hour. They packed it with gauze in the after-hours clinic, and when I got to the ER, the blood was so backed up in my sinuses, that blood was coming out of my tear ducts. It finally stopped on its own. They gave me a nice clamp to use in the ER, and I have used it on two nosebleeds since I got home with success.

Comment from: Cconners, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I was sitting on the bed petting my cat when all of the sudden my nose starts gushing. I don't get nose bleeds often or actually ever. I haven't had one in almost 15 years. But anyways I start freaking out. I clotted it up with a piece of paper towel. This happened twice finally after the third handmade packing it suddenly stopped.

Comment from: First timer, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 14

I had my first nose bleed in decades this morning. I am in a hotel in a city far from home. I write this to tell you all that like we learned to do for our child, I got ice and put it in a towel behind my neck and it stopped the bleeding. Hope this helps someone else as it can be a bit unnerving to see the amount of blood loss in such a short period of time.

Comment from: BleedingPerson, Female (Patient) Published: June 17

I had been suffering from a series of minor nose bleeds for about a week. I had never had a nosebleed before. None of them were entirely serious and lasted less than a minute. I was at a play when I noticed the blood splattered on my shirt and pooling on the floor. I looked in the mirror and was suddenly very aware of the massive amounts of blood streaming from my nose, down my neck and shirt. I tried to stop the bleeding with paper towels, which were immediately saturated with blood. When I tilted my head back, the blood began to pour down the back of my throat and out of my mouth. I didn't know what to do, and no one who passed me stopped to help, other than to tell me not to tilt my head. The theater's medics were with me for half an hour, trying to stop the bleeding before the eventually called the paramedics and I was taken to the hospital. After it had stopped, I was told that if it had continued for any longer, I would have died from blood loss. There wasn't any pain and there was nothing I could do to stop the bleeding, save for hold a towel near my nose and try not to irritate it.

Must Read Articles Related to Nosebleeds

Broken Nose
Broken Nose A broken nose (nasal fracture) is any crack or fracture in the bony portion of the nose. Causes of a broken nose include fights, sports injuries, motor vehicle ...learn more >>
Facial Fracture
Facial Fracture A fracture is a broken bone. Facial fracture refers to any injury that results in a broken bone or bones of the face. Symptoms of a facial fracture depend on wh...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Nosebleed (Epistaxis):

Nosebleed - Causes

Was the cause of your nosebleed ever diagnosed?