Viewer Comments: Nosebleed - Length Symptoms Lasted

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Nosebleed (Epistaxis):

Nosebleed - Length Symptoms Lasted

How long did the symptoms of your nosebleed last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?

...
Comment from: RPM, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 03

I've had severe nosebleeds starting at age 55 and get them about every 4 to 5 years. They are nasty and difficult to stop. This most recent one started while sleeping. It got me up and I started to pinch to stop the flow. The blood would clot and I would swallow it or spit up huge globs of it. It got to the point while pinching it and holding my head forward that the blood would start oozing out my eyes, very scary. Finally I called an ambulance to the emergency room (ER) where they packed it with a balloon type device, sent me home and told me to get to an ENT doctor to remove the balloon. I could not stand this device stuck in my nose and the bleeding was still trickling out so I went back to ER and they cauterized the spot which worked. My next step is to see and ENT soon.

Comment from: Samuel, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 19

I started having nose bleeding when I was 10 years old and continued till I was 21 years old. My father too does have nose bleeding. It takes between 10 and 15 minutes and there is no pain; my dad just asks me to hold back my head, and then it will stop. I started having nose bleeding again about two years ago. Any time I carry heavy load with my left hand it will bleed just for a moment and clog without pain.

Comment from: Berneak, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I am 49 years of age and have experienced my 3rd nose bleed in one week. The first two happened in my sleep. The third occurred while driving to work, and I didn't have anything to wipe it with, which caused me to panic. After bleeding for 10 minutes I finally made it to work still bleeding which resulted in calling the ambulance and being rushed to the emergency room. After arriving at the emergency room, because I panicked, my blood pressure went up and the doctors couldn't get it down. Four hours later after losing 2 liters of blood, doctors and nurses were finally able to get my nose to stop bleeding. They inserted an object in my nose like a tampon which I had to keep in my nose for 24 hours. I am so glad they got it under control but I must say that was the scariest medical experience I've ever had and I don't wish it on anybody. And now I am resting and trying to rebuild my blood count up by eating beets and vegetables, taking iron pills, and drinking lots of fluids also. That experience resulted in my doctors giving me blood pressure pills.

Comment from: Frank, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 22

Around 1999 I developed nose bleeds. I saw an ear, nose and throat specialist and he said I had a deviated septum from a nose break and needed an operation. Until then, I should keep my nose packed with Vaseline petroleum jelly. I did this but of course it would run, I'd blow my nose and it would occur again (while working a full time job). After 15 years I decided to try Vaseline to just dissolve the blood clots (with Q-tips) but not to pack my nose with it. The Vaseline had the added benefit of stopping another nose bleed (unlike blowing you nose to clear it). After a few months, I no longer had nose bleeds. It has now been a few years without nose bleeds (and no further Vaseline use). This is anecdotal and there may be now cause and effect between how I used Vaseline and my nose bleeds stopping. But it certainly seems to be the most likely cure of a 15 year nose bleed.

Comment from: Ally, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

Yikes, today I had a nosebleed that literally lasted 3.5 hours. While at my desk, I felt I had a runny nose and post nasal drip. I sucked it in and kept working. I remember finding it unusual that I had a runny nose. I am generally in great health, did not have a cold or any other symptoms. This just started suddenly. After sucking it up about 3 more times, I reached for a tissue when blood just started dripping on my desk. I blew my nose to clear my nostril and, oh boy! The tissue could not hold the huge blood clot the size of a golf ball. I immediately grabbed more issue and pinched my nose. I felt my nostril clogging up but did not want to blow again. I tilted my head slightly back and felt something roll down the back of my throat causing me to choke. I decided to let it take its course. Like a cat, I coughed up what was another golf ball sized blood clot. For someone who never had a nosebleed, this was surely no small introduction. No headache, no pain, not even lightheaded. Tissue after tissue, this was not normal. I stuffed tissues in my nose and kept my head straight while trying to stay level headed. Clots continued to form, and either clogged my nose to the point where I could not breathe, or slid down my throat. For the next 2 hours, this same pattern continued. Two boxes of tissues later, it stopped.

Comment from: Patty Ann, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 07

A year before getting my period I got nose bleeds that lasted anywhere from 45 minutes to hours (up to 3). The clots were large and usually about 12 inches long. The doctor told my parents that some girls get severe nose bleeds the year prior to the onset of their period. Lots of bath towels, pinch the upper nose, hold ice on it, sit up or lie on your side. I had large clots and heavy bleeding during periods that lasted 7 to 11 days most of my life. Then years later I began the nose bleeds again, 1 hour with large clots. I went to my doctor and asked if I might be starting menopause; she laughed. Well, 8 months later and having had my period for 57 days, they did a sonogram and found cysts along the walls of the vagina and the one that was in my uterus was the size of a 16 week fetus! Fast menopause, with surgery! In the interim with nose bleeds they would cauterize a couple of vessels. I did lose the septum in my nose. And, I find it is best to blow my nose during a nosebleeds when I feel the clots. Soon after the bleeding stops.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Nosebleeds

Broken Nose
Broken Nose A broken nose (nasal fracture) is any crack or fracture in the bony portion of the nose. Causes of a broken nose include fights, sports injuries, motor vehicle ...learn more >>
Facial Fracture
Facial Fracture Facial fracture refers to any injury that results in a learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Nosebleed (Epistaxis):

Nosebleed - Causes

Was the cause of your nosebleed ever diagnosed?