Viewer Comments: Nosebleed - Length Symptoms Lasted

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Nosebleed (Epistaxis):

Nosebleed - Length Symptoms Lasted

How long did the symptoms of your nosebleed last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?

Comment from: Patty Ann, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 07

A year before getting my period I got nose bleeds that lasted anywhere from 45 minutes to hours (up to 3). The clots were large and usually about 12 inches long. The doctor told my parents that some girls get severe nose bleeds the year prior to the onset of their period. Lots of bath towels, pinch the upper nose, hold ice on it, sit up or lie on your side. I had large clots and heavy bleeding during periods that lasted 7 to 11 days most of my life. Then years later I began the nose bleeds again, 1 hour with large clots. I went to my doctor and asked if I might be starting menopause; she laughed. Well, 8 months later and having had my period for 57 days, they did a sonogram and found cysts along the walls of the vagina and the one that was in my uterus was the size of a 16 week fetus! Fast menopause, with surgery! In the interim with nose bleeds they would cauterize a couple of vessels. I did lose the septum in my nose. And, I find it is best to blow my nose during a nosebleeds when I feel the clots. Soon after the bleeding stops.

Comment from: Lisa2, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 07

I have had a nosebleed start when I had a surgery done for polyps and deviated septum in 2004. Since that operation my nose has had terrible nosebleeds. I've had another surgery by another doctor in 2011 that stopped it for a month and a half. It came back again and I was sent to a hospital and the doctor there have me a gel pack and clindamycin. I wound up with C. difficile which wrecked my stomach till this day. I had to retire from my job after 23 years, I have since seen 7 other doctors and still am having horrible nosebleeds. I'm so frightened, till this day even as I'm writing right now I'm having one. I don't know why anyone can't help me. One doctor told me I should just keep swallowing the blood and eventually it would stop and he was one of the best doctors.

Comment from: Laila, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 21

My story about a "first" nosebleed today is a bit crazy. I had just gone into Starbucks to get a coffee to go. I came out to the car with my coffee and one napkin. I decided to blow my nose with the napkin. Oh boy...that's when the flood started. My napkin was saturated in seconds and no other tissue in the car. Yikes...this was scary! I ran back into Starbucks trying to not be noticed that I was bleeding to death! I grabbed a handful of napkins. Back into the car I went and literally did not know what to do. I called my husband on my cell and he told me the wrong things to do, particularly to put my head back...yuck the blood started going into the back of my throat. I didn't know where to pinch it. Reading from all of you who have posted, now I know! The worst of this nose bleed was the huge clots that came out, and the fact that it lasted so long. I didn't time it but it seemed like forever. I had to start driving while it was going on so I could get home for my daughter's school bus. At this point I was really starting to panic and almost went to the hospital (2 blocks away) but knew if I did I wouldn't get out in time to get home for the school bus. Soooo, I decided to keep driving towards home (15 minutes) away. At this point it must have been bleeding for at least a half hour or 45 minutes. Thank gosh, just before I pulled into the driveway it seemed to stop as suddenly as it started. I had just enough time to run inside and clean up all the blood and get out to the bus. Had my daughter seen all the blood she would have freaked out! When I threw away all the bloody Starbucks napkins I must say I was shocked at how much blood had come out. I never want to go through that again!

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 23

I recently had to go to the emergency room twice within a 24-hour period for heavy nose bleeds. I had never had a nose bleed before. The first ER only put a little lubricate in my nose after the bleeding stopped on its own and sent me home. The next morning, my nose started bleeding heavy again. Blood was pouring from my nose and month with large clots. I was rushed to a different ER where my nose had to be packed. This caused blood to come out of my eyes for a while. The packing had my face aching all night. The next day, I saw an ENT doctor who had to cauterize some blood vessels and repack it. The packing has to remain in my nose for five days. Right now, I have a slight clear dripping from my nose, which the doctor says is normal for now. I am extremely frightened that this will happen again.

Comment from: bri563, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

My nose bled for 45 minutes. I was in the gym working out when it started with a trickle. I carried on, but it started gushing. I was pressing my nose in the wrong place to stop it -- my doctor pressed it from the top. I pinched the bottom part. I was doing all the wrong things, including panicking. I thought it was a massive elevation of blood pressure, which it was not. I have not had any trouble since.

Comment from: ph1967, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I just recently had a nosebleed that lasted for about 1 hour and 20 minutes. I went to an after-hours clinic after about 20 minutes and they sent me to the emergency room (ER). By the time I got there, it had been bleeding for about an hour. They packed it with gauze in the after-hours clinic, and when I got to the ER, the blood was so backed up in my sinuses, that blood was coming out of my tear ducts. It finally stopped on its own. They gave me a nice clamp to use in the ER, and I have used it on two nosebleeds since I got home with success.

Must Read Articles Related to Nosebleeds

Broken Nose
Broken Nose A broken nose (nasal fracture) is any crack or fracture in the bony portion of the nose. Causes of a broken nose include fights, sports injuries, motor vehicle ...learn more >>
Facial Fracture
Facial Fracture A fracture is a broken bone. Facial fracture refers to any injury that results in a broken bone or bones of the face. Symptoms of a facial fracture depend on wh...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Nosebleed (Epistaxis):

Nosebleed - Causes

Was the cause of your nosebleed ever diagnosed?