Viewer Comments: Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Obsessive Compulsive Disorder:

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD).

Comment from: morethanIcanhandle, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I knew something wasn't right for a long time. I was a sickly child starting at age 2. I experienced horrible headaches, and eating disorders. I did not want to eat; I had no appetite and gained energy from not eating. I see now I had early signs of chronic depression (the headaches) and OCD not eating. I suffered from asthma and could have an attack if overly stressed. I am now 50 and have been taking meds for 20 years. I "outgrew" my asthma at 17. It was just gone. I suffered every day from some sort of panic or depression since I was 6. I managed to work my way up to several impressive executive jobs. I changed jobs every five years. For the last five years, I have had extreme difficulty keeping a job. I take Prozac and Ambien to sleep and recommend anyone giving this a try for some major relief. I am slipping back into a difficult depressive state. I have a husband and wish I could work but cannot seem to manage to make that happen. He cannot keep supporting both of us; the job market has taken a turn on him as well. I just don't know what to do anymore. I have no medical insurance but manage to see a professional every six months. The doctor is wonderful, very modern, but I am afraid to confide to him how bad I am for fear of not getting meds.

Comment from: kittycat, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I developed OCD when I was 10. It began by counting steps I took on the sidewalk, and soon the counting increased while stepping or performing any action. I jumped over rugs and made sure fringes were straight, really weird things that I did not understand. My parents noticed there was a problem, but suddenly it just went away. Not forever though, later in life I had a child at age 18, worked a job running the counties emergency systems, responsible for over 15,000 peoples welfare. OCD came back I would count while I did everything, I tapped on the wall and turned the lights on and off, swallowed over and over again life was horrible, but somehow I manage to keep going, I once again sought help and was placed on Lovenox. It made me deafly sick, so I stopped taking it. I began doing rituals of counting and tapping that was a never ending life of torment. I decided to go to the church I had been brought up in. I went there for guidance and strength suddenly the OCD was suppressed. I now realize it never really went away and I had developed ways to cope. Today I am 40 at age 39 I had a mental breakdown and OCD is alive and destroyed my life, I can no longer work, and it is hard to function in day to day activities. The doctor has given me this medicine to try due to intrusive thoughts which causes me to repeat an action. I read the side effects and I don't know if it's a chance worth taking. I don't want another sit back from medicine that disagrees with me. In my case I feel OCD will be a constant companion for the rest of my life. I just have to learn ways to cope with it. I don't know anyone else that has OCD has severe as me. As I read the other stories, I cried out of sadness because I know of the suffering , but out of joy also, because I can see that there are other people like me.

Comment from: Germ Man, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: January 07

Hi, I'm Germ Man. This article about OCD felt like the reality check I've been dreading. I am someone who constantly gets distracted by germs. I wont shake hands, and I also constantly feel the need to wash my hands or use hand sanitizer (yay portable!) whenever I get the opportunity.

Comment from: kjanine, 45-54 Female Published: November 13

After being at the counselor's office and people commenting how I am a perfectionist in addition to an overachiever. I believe I may have some combination of OCD and OCPD. I kind of spiral sometimes. If my husband leaves a door unlocked over-night and I find out about it...it causes cascading events whereas I have to check each door many times, like 8 times each. Then if the doors are consistently locked and it stays that way...I check and check and find them locked and start to relax about it and am not so compulsive. I am compulsive about ironing and I iron everything you can think of. Thank heavens I work and don't have enough time to do everything and so most of the stuff gets ironed that matters (sheets and pillow cases and clothes and napkins...but not underwear per se). I am fanatical about weeding and it is a good task for obsessive compulsives like me. I am not disabled by it and catch myself being overly perfectionist to the point of ridiculousness (almost) but it is not disabling.

Must Read Articles Related to Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

Anxiety
Anxiety Anxiety is a feeling of apprehension, fear, or worry. Some fears and worries are justified, such as worry about a loved one. Anxiety may occur without a cause, ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Obsessive Compulsive Disorder:

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder - Treatment

What was the treatment for your obsessive compulsive disorder?

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder OCD - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)?