Viewer Comments: Oral Herpes - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Oral Herpes:

Oral Herpes - Symptoms

What were the symptoms and signs of your oral herpes?

Comment from: sandra d., 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 22

I got oral HSV1 and genital HSV1. I took Advil for the fever, drank plenty of fluids, and my urgent care doctor cured it. I spent almost the entire month of January inside and away from people because I was so depressed over my diagnosis. Then I went to my obstetrician/gynecologist and she told me that with the right care and vitamins there was still a chance that reoccurring outbreaks could be very rare if at all. I've only had one outbreak since then and it was one sore in my mouth. I still get upset but when I evaluate my life I realize (in my situation) it's manageable. I just have to pay close attention to my body for outbreaks, take extra care of myself in the sun or stressful situations, and if I do have an outbreak, be sure to watch that people don't eat or drink after me to protect them from contracting it.

Comment from: Randy, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 05

I contracted oral HSV1 after contact with an infected girl. My attacks are mild but since I use Just For Men to color my goatee I get it once a week due to the irritation of the skin. I take 2000 mg of L-Lysine daily and that helps a lot. Now I have to give up Just For Men and let my goatee be white!

Comment from: notcontagious?, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I have been having cold sores (oral herpes) on my mouth since I was a teenager. I assume my mother gave it to me and my sister when we were kids because I remember her having 'fever blisters' since forever and she used to kiss us kids when she had them. I have about 1 to 3 breakouts a year. I usually use Abreva but find it doesn't help. It takes about 10 full days to totally heal. I am great at applying make up to hide them.

Comment from: Bent... not Broken, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 18

I just found out I have herpes (type 1) today. My world is shattered, but reading all of your posts makes me feel a little better.

Must Read Articles Related to Oral Herpes

Cold Sores
Cold Sores Cold sores are caused by a viral infection that attacks the skin and learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Oral Herpes:

Oral Herpes - How Did You Manage?

How do you manage your oral herpes (herpes simplex virus) infection?

Oral Herpes - Treatment

What was the treatment for your oral herpes?

Oral Herpes - Prevention

What prevention measures do you use to avoid getting oral herpes?

Oral Herpes - Experience

Please describe your experience with oral herpes.