Viewer Comments: Oral Herpes - How Did You Manage

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Oral Herpes:

Oral Herpes - How Did You Manage

How do you manage your oral herpes (herpes simplex virus) infection?

Comment from: unlucky, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

Both my husband and I were diagnosed shortly after our marriage-- a distant cousin came to visit and she told me she had HSV 1 after I had shared drinks, cigarettes, and yep- lip balm with her. I feel lucky to have never had an outbreak on my mouth but my husband has had 2 in the past year-- thankfully they were extremely mild outbreaks (1 sore that came back in the same place) and the medication helps a lot. Valtrex twice daily but it's still embarrassing for him.

Comment from: Female (Patient) Published: December 15

I had a period of several years where I had frequent outbreaks. They were very severe and I was treated with Zovirax.

Comment from: overit, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 15

I'm in my late 20s and have been getting sores on my lips for the past few years. This is by far the most embarrassing thing I have ever had to deal with. I left work early today and called in for the week, I work in customer service and there is not a chance in I'd be seen with this blister on my lips. Right when I felt it tingle it was already noticeable.

Comment from: slarty42, 45-54 Male Published: October 31

I have had outbreaks of cold sores for about 30 years now & the best treatment I have come across was given to me many years ago. It's quite simple and very cheap, at the FIRST sign of a tingle of any kind that I have come to recognize as a precursor to the outbreak I immediately take an ice cube and wrap it in a paper towel and hold it tightly against the place that is tingling until the ice cube is completely melted. 99 % of the time this completely prevents the cold sore from coming out.

I use Abreva as soon as the swelling starts until it is gone. The sore will heal much faster and not get as big. It's expensive, but it works.

I used my friends lip balm because my lips were very chapped. She had a cold sore and the next day the lymph nodes in my neck were swollen and very painful if touched. The day after that I had the biggest cold sore-it even impressed my doctors. It hurt to talk, eat, smile, and especially laugh. I didn't go to school until it went away. I'm 21 now and I take 500 mg of Valtrex when I wake up and before I go to bed each day. My lips are red, dry, peeling, painful, and itchy every day. Some days worse than others, but it is all I ever think about. The Valtrex can keep the actual blisters away but the tingling and pain is still there every day. They are never completely healed, and it's very difficult to cope with. I try hiding the redness with make-up. My boyfriend complains because I don't kiss him enough but it hurts to and I don't want to spread it. Some days I come home from work early because I have a headache and my lips and throat are dry and hurt so bad. I don't want to go out so I just lay in the tub and read so no one can see my lips. Using my friend's lip balm was the biggest mistake of my life. As much as I'm made fun of I never share anything to this day.

Comment from: goodtimes39, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 01

I contracted oral herpes from my wife (ex-wife now) in June 2008. She had boyfriend. I left and filed for divorce. We were always clean through our eight years until this happened. We had blood tests prior to marriage, etc. I wouldn't wish this on anyone. I just started taking Valtrex and had outbreak last week and today is day seven on three Valtrex daily. I was almost healed after 4 days. That stuff is amazing. Due to costs, and no insurance I am switching from Valtrex to Zovirax and starting a daily dosage. It's affordable! Also instead of always waiting for an outbreak, I already feel better knowing I am facing this finally. I haven't been on a date since before my ex-wife in 2008. I wouldn't give this to anyone.

Comment from: terrified, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 29

I have had cold sores on the outside of my mouth before. I always use a lip balm with at least spf15 in it. Recently I have developed them on the inside of my mouth. I have never felt so much pain before the dentist said it wasn't uncommon. I beg to differ with him. I have never been so embarrassed in my life. I was given Valtrex so I hope it works for me. This is crazy and I was only 14 when I came into contact with this and I never knew what it was until I was in my early 20's. I don't want to live with these outbreaks ever again. Now I worry if it isn't something more!

Comment from: Linda, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 15

I have oral herpes. When I broke out the first time I had no idea what was wrong with me. I didn't think sores on my mouth could make me that sick. When I got to the point that I could eat, I saw my doctor. He gave me an anti viral medicine so it wouldn't get worse, and medicine called "Magic Mouth". It numbed my mouth enough to eat and drink, and at night I could swallow it and it would help me sleep.

Must Read Articles Related to Oral Herpes

Cold Sores
Cold Sores Cold sores are caused by a viral infection that attacks the skin and nervous system. Cold sores are small, painful, fluid-filled blisters on the mouth or nose.learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Oral Herpes:

Oral Herpes - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your oral herpes?

Oral Herpes - Treatment

What was the treatment for your oral herpes?

Oral Herpes - Prevention

What prevention measures do you use to avoid getting a oral herpes?

Oral Herpes - Experience

Please describe your experience with oral herpes.