Viewer Comments: Oral Herpes - How Did You Manage

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Oral Herpes:

Oral Herpes - How Did You Manage

How do you manage your oral herpes (herpes simplex virus) infection?

I use Abreva as soon as the swelling starts until it is gone. The sore will heal much faster and not get as big. It's expensive, but it works.

I used my friends lip balm because my lips were very chapped. She had a cold sore and the next day the lymph nodes in my neck were swollen and very painful if touched. The day after that I had the biggest cold sore-it even impressed my doctors. It hurt to talk, eat, smile, and especially laugh. I didn't go to school until it went away. I'm 21 now and I take 500 mg of Valtrex when I wake up and before I go to bed each day. My lips are red, dry, peeling, painful, and itchy every day. Some days worse than others, but it is all I ever think about. The Valtrex can keep the actual blisters away but the tingling and pain is still there every day. They are never completely healed, and it's very difficult to cope with. I try hiding the redness with make-up. My boyfriend complains because I don't kiss him enough but it hurts to and I don't want to spread it. Some days I come home from work early because I have a headache and my lips and throat are dry and hurt so bad. I don't want to go out so I just lay in the tub and read so no one can see my lips. Using my friend's lip balm was the biggest mistake of my life. As much as I'm made fun of I never share anything to this day.

Comment from: goodtimes39, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 01

I contracted oral herpes from my wife (ex-wife now) in June 2008. She had boyfriend. I left and filed for divorce. We were always clean through our eight years until this happened. We had blood tests prior to marriage, etc. I wouldn't wish this on anyone. I just started taking Valtrex and had outbreak last week and today is day seven on three Valtrex daily. I was almost healed after 4 days. That stuff is amazing. Due to costs, and no insurance I am switching from Valtrex to Zovirax and starting a daily dosage. It's affordable! Also instead of always waiting for an outbreak, I already feel better knowing I am facing this finally. I haven't been on a date since before my ex-wife in 2008. I wouldn't give this to anyone.

Comment from: terrified, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 29

I have had cold sores on the outside of my mouth before. I always use a lip balm with at least spf15 in it. Recently I have developed them on the inside of my mouth. I have never felt so much pain before the dentist said it wasn't uncommon. I beg to differ with him. I have never been so embarrassed in my life. I was given Valtrex so I hope it works for me. This is crazy and I was only 14 when I came into contact with this and I never knew what it was until I was in my early 20's. I don't want to live with these outbreaks ever again. Now I worry if it isn't something more!

Comment from: Linda, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 15

I have oral herpes. When I broke out the first time I had no idea what was wrong with me. I didn't think sores on my mouth could make me that sick. When I got to the point that I could eat, I saw my doctor. He gave me an anti viral medicine so it wouldn't get worse, and medicine called "Magic Mouth". It numbed my mouth enough to eat and drink, and at night I could swallow it and it would help me sleep.

Comment from: Anonomous, 25-34 Female Published: November 22

I had herpes in my mouth and I was in the hospital for two whole weeks. My entire mouth had sores right from my throat to my lips and I could not eat or talk swallow. This is the worst and most embarrassing thing have could ever happen to somebody. The doctors could not help me, so I was put on IV fluids and lost a lot of weight.

Published: April 22

I have oral herpes, and you would never know that I had it, except for the itchy, bubbly sore on my lips. Other than that, I feel fine. I have no fever or anything. I use a poison ivy medicine called “Ivy Dry” when I first get the tingling. I apply Ivy Dry and the sores start to heal right away. I don't even get those nasty little red sores anymore.

Comment from: kat, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 12

I have herpes in my mouth, on my tongue and throat. It is the most awful pain I have experienced in my life apart from giving birth. I have had it 4 times in the last 6 years. It usually happens when I am run down or have a terrible cold. This time it happened after having the swine flu vaccination, which appears to have affected my immune system. To be honest, nothing has helped, much but I did use an oral gel on the blisters just so that I could swallow painkillers and acyclovir. I could not speak, eat or drink properly for seven days. I hope nobody ever suffers from this awful condition.

Related Reading: acyclovir

Must Read Articles Related to Oral Herpes

Cold Sores
Cold Sores Cold sores are caused by a viral infection that attacks the skin and nervous system. Cold sores are small, painful, fluid-filled blisters on the mouth or nose.learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Oral Herpes:

Oral Herpes - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your oral herpes?

Oral Herpes - Treatment

What was the treatment for your oral herpes?

Oral Herpes - Prevention

What prevention measures do you use to avoid getting a oral herpes?

Oral Herpes - Experience

Please describe your experience with oral herpes.