Viewer Comments: Osteoarthritis - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Osteoarthritis:

Osteoarthritis - Symptoms

The symptoms of osteoarthritis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: Georges, 65-74 Male Published: June 06

My osteoarthritis is located in my right shoulder. The pain extends from the middle of my shoulder blade, to the top of my shoulder, down the outside of my upper right arm, down the outside and underside of my lower right arm, through to my wrist, through the top of my right hand, ending just before and between my middle and index fingers. I've only had three, maybe four good days relatively free of pain since the pain started. At first I thought it was gout. This was the diagnosis of a local ER doctor, something which I encountered about three years ago. Then I was told it was arthritis, by an ER doctor in a VA hospital. Finally, I was told it was osteoarthritis by my local VA clinic.

Comment from: R Yarbrough, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 28

My husband has osteoarthritis of the elbows. He has already had elbow debridement twice in the right elbow.

Comment from: bhairavi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 31

I started having an enlargement at the first joint of the finger. It was not painful for at least three years. Suddenly since last six months my ring finger got a red, angry, and painful swelling, which the doctor has diagnosed as osteoarthritis. Have started a line of treatment along with exercise of the fingers.

Comment from: Liz, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

Aching pain between shoulder blades at night for a few weeks, then radiating deep pain down my right arm making it difficult to perform my tasks at work.

Comment from: Ward, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: September 06

I have no pain at all until I do some strenuous exercise like walking a long distance or up a hill. I can stop and set down and the pain will go away. My doctor ran some tests and said I had osteoarthritis although I see no one else that has commented that has similar complaints. I just turned 79.

Comment from: Florence, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 18

My knees are progressively becoming painful when walking. Recently, my knees have been very stiff and painful to bend.

Comment from: RStallings, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I am 31 yrs old and recently diagnosed with OA. I've had low back pain for about 10 yrs and have been to several doctors about it. It started with numbness in my feet and pain running down the backs of my legs. It has gradually gotten to the point that I have a hard time moving at all and the only comfortable position is laying down. Nothing has helped the pain thus far. Now I am looking at a device that has small needles implanted under the skin. If that doesn't work then they are going to fuse the bones together. I'm so tired of this pain and not being able to interact with my kids the way I want to.

Comment from: Patrick, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 30

I was diagnosed with OA in my knees and jaw at 17 years old. I had pain and stiffness after running. I did cross-country in high school. TMJ caused blinding headaches and other issues (jaw clicking, locking, shifting molar alignment). The two things (jaw and knee) occurring together caused the doctors to finally look at OA. At that time I was told that my OA was equivalent to a 50 year-old.

Comment from: lola, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

My toe was initially numb and tingly, then the pain started gradually getting worse and spread to the ball of my foot. It's been hurting badly for about three months. I had an MRI and the doctor said it was osteoarthritis. Nothing seems to completely take the pain away. Movement is difficult, since this is affecting my feet.

Comment from: Wayne, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 28

The first symptoms were in my left hip, I used to jog a lot and noticed my hip getting sore when I finished running. I went to the doctor and got X-rays and found out I have OA. I had my first operation on the hip about six months after and received a hip replacement in 2003 at 48 years old. I had some problems and the hip kept popping out because the leg was too short and had to be extended. So that was done in 2004 and only popped out once in 2008. I could have had another operation but told the surgeon that I would watch what I do. I still downhill ski, but watch how fast I go.

Must Read Articles Related to Osteoarthritis

Arthritis
Arthritis Arthritis is inflammation of the joints. Causes include injury, abnormal metabolism (such as gout), inheritance (such as in osteoarthritis), infections (such as...learn more >>
Hip Pain
Hip Pain There are many causes of hip pain such as arthritis, trauma, strains, sprains, and other conditions that cause referred hip pain. Hip pain can be sharp, sudden,...learn more >>
Knee Pain
Knee Pain Overview Knee pain has a wide variety of causes and treatments. Home care for knee pain involves protecting the knee from further trauma, in addition to resting, icing, ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Osteoarthritis:

Osteoarthritis - Experience

Please describe your experience with osteoarthritis.

Osteoarthritis - Prognosis

What is your osteoarthritis prognosis?

Osteoarthritis - Treatment

What was the treatment for your osteoarthritis?