Viewer Comments: Osteoarthritis - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Osteoarthritis:

Osteoarthritis - Symptoms

The symptoms of osteoarthritis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: betty, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

At the onset of osteoarthritis, I had severe back pain and I was unable to stand upright.

Comment from: Rocky, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

I have osteoarthritis with pain particularly in my hands. This is very likely congenital. I am surprised that there is no mention of the value of physical therapy (performed only by a specialist in upper extremity therapy) in dealing with the stiffness and pain. There are lots of suggestions about medications and one comment that a doctor said that the only helpful exercise would be swimming. It is really unfortunate that the first response is usually to ingest more chemicals. I strongly recommend having a consultation with a physical therapist with credentials in upper extremity treatment. I've been greatly helped and now I have a significant reduction in pain and stiffness, and increase in range of motion. Once you learn the techniques, you can easily use them at home.

Comment from: agnel, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 22

I have tremendous pain. My husband does not understand me. He thinks I'm too young to be complaining of pain. I'm a caregiver, caring for the elderly and now I need someone to care for me and understand my pain. I hurt all over at night and I do not sleep well. I get up and sit on a recliner for part of the night. My hips are in pain all the time, as well as my knees and my back, especially when I'm lifting heavy patients.

Comment from: papaaf, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 01

I had surgery for an injury to my left knee meniscus and cartilage. My knee was in constant pain and had to have fluid drained on three occasions along with a Synovioma injection. Pain decreased slightly and now I am told that I need a total knee replacement, but cannot get it approved by my employers work comp insurance. They stated it was a pre existing condition and my surgeon states it may be a trauma induced osteoarthritis.

Comment from: Susan, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I have always had some small arthritic pains in the low back, but this month, my hands have been very painful. The lowest joint of the left thumb is especially painful, with a sharp needlelike stabbing pain, and is also quite swollen. In addition, twice I have had tingling, heat, and swelling of the joints in the left middle finger. I am an avid knitter, and I am so afraid I will lose my hands. I was on Celebrex for years for the arthritis in my back, but my doctor has recently taken me off this medication. My back feels fine, but the hands really concern me.

Comment from: Rocky, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 09

I am 65 and have had osteoarthritis in my hips, fingers and spine for some time. Now I feel it in my chest whenever I do stretching or lightweight lifting. My doctor told me it was my arthritis and all I could is swim for exercise. I didn't know I had joints in my chest, or rib cage that could experience pain.

Comment from: Karlita47, 45-54 (Patient) Published: July 27

I had a flare up on Mother's Day I was in severe pain. Could pull on my pants, pick up a coffee cup. The pain was pain I had never dealt with before. The pain is in my wrist and hands. I just receive steroid shots in both wrist and so far so good. My wrists were very swollen and red and felt like they were on fire. The swollen is causing my carp tunnel to be effective as well. I am looking into ways to keep these flare up to a minimum. Any suggestion would be appreciated. I am a 47 year old in good health.

Must Read Articles Related to Osteoarthritis

Arthritis
Arthritis Arthritis is inflammation of the joints. Causes include injury, abnormal metabolism (such as gout), inheritance (such as in osteoarthritis), infections (such as...learn more >>
Hip Pain
Hip Pain There are many causes of hip pain such as arthritis, trauma, strains, sprains, and other conditions that cause referred hip pain. Hip pain can be sharp, sudden,...learn more >>
Knee Pain
Knee Pain Overview Knee pain has a wide variety of causes and treatments. Home care for knee pain involves protecting the knee from further trauma, in addition to resting, icing, ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Osteoarthritis:

Osteoarthritis - Experience

Please describe your experience with osteoarthritis.

Osteoarthritis - Prognosis

What is your osteoarthritis prognosis?

Osteoarthritis - Treatment

What was the treatment for your osteoarthritis?