Viewer Comments: Osteoarthritis - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Osteoarthritis:

Osteoarthritis - Symptoms

The symptoms of osteoarthritis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: Julie250, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

I have a large pituitary tumor. MRI's have shown it growing for 15 years, yet I don't believe I have ever had a growth hormone test (GH). My spine is in a state of advanced and severe degeneration. I have pigment dysfunction; problems with epithelial cells, cancer left ventricular hypertrophy, hands and feet that have grown, as well as nose, nose bridge, forehead, tooth spacing and many other things. I am now accidentally biting my lip very often and very hard, accidentally while chewing, because of a bit of misalignment in my jaw. My feet are badly deformed and are arthritic. There are tumors under them. I have many skin growths. I have severe muscle problems and joint pains. I believe I have acromegaly because the tumor is over 1 cm. My spine is killing me with severe and advanced degeneration and a very severe curve, but I don't think the majority of Canadian doctors know a thing about acromegaly and from what I've witnessed so far, many of them also don't have the time to learn about it. I haven't seen an endocrinologist in years and have never been to a rheumatologist in my entire life. In spite of the fact that I have proof of all of this on all the reports and MRI's, I am absolutely forbidden from getting a handicap placard. In fact, the very request made my doctor scream and scream at the top of his lungs for a good 5 minutes. He was so mad I asked for one because he didn't think I was as crippled as most people with handicap stickers, even with all of these things -- yet oddly enough, I have rarely even seen a person at those handicap spots even so much as limp. I tried to find out how much training Canadian doctors had to get in order to renew their licenses each year, but this information is rather hidden from the public -- or maybe I should say "worded in a way that no one can ever tell for sure." I think they should be required to take some kind of upgrading course every year, like ministers who have to pay a fortune to prove they are qualified before they can upgrade.

Comment from: Julie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

About a year ago I had a total hip collapse. I fell on the floor and couldn't walk. Soon I will be able to get my MRI. (It takes about 9 to 12 months to get one in Canada). I had one about 7 years ago and it showed severe and advanced spinal degeneration. I also have a growing pituitary tumor as mentioned earlier. It's now over a centimeter. Soon I will get an MRI but they are only going to look at the bottom third of the spine. I'm worried about the choking and heart attack feelings I get from the middle of the spine though too (sometimes so hard I can hardly breathe for several minutes) as well as the severe neck pain, because there were problems in those areas 7 years ago too. I can't figure out why the MRI isn't taken of the entire spine. Doesn't it build up health care costs when each third of the spine has to be photographed one by one? After I get the results, it could take up to 15 months before I get to see a neurologist (usually 12 but I think it's longer these days) in Alberta.

Comment from: Linda, 55-64 (Patient) Published: October 06

It started in my neck; I have degenerating discs in my neck, some nerve damage. I have osteoarthritis in my whole spine, it's now in my knee and possibly my hips. My first symptoms were chronic pain in the neck and extreme headaches.

Comment from: Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I had headaches and then my knees, neck and back were next. Now I have arthritis in almost every joint in my body. Neck, back, shoulders, wrists, fingers, knees, ankles, and feet. I am not sure if the pain in my hips are from the hips or the back. I have spurs associated with the affected joints. I was in my mid-twenties when these symptoms started. I am going to be scheduled for knee replacement in both knees. I have seen chiropractors and they have been of no help. Celebrex does not help. Ibuprophen has helped a little. I am 67 now and I'm really feeling the pain today. The pressure must have dropped. We went from the 80's to the 60's in one day. Rain is expected.

I went for my yearly physical, and complained of aching hands and that my hips hurt. Blood tests came back with a positive ANA test. The rheumatologist ran blood tests and took X rays of my hands. This came back with a diagnosis of osteoarthritis. The hip pain was bursitis. She gave me cortisone shots in my hips and prescribed Arthrotec (NSAID) for the pain. I use hot wax dips, and lots of Aspercreme night time lotion (it smells good!). These things seem to help, since I teach special needs children and use a lot of sign language.

I was just recently diagnosed with Osteoarthritis in both knees. I am 31 years old. I started getting symptoms about 6 years ago while training for a marathon. I ran every day and did squats and lunges every other day too. That did me in. At first, doctors diagnosed me with patella tendonitis which coincided with the symptoms I had at the time. I stopped everything and gained weight. Since then, the pain returns when the weather is about to change. I used the Glucos/Chron blend and can tell it helps a bit. Frustrating because I can't really do any real workout, but I need to lose weight at the same time.

Must Read Articles Related to Osteoarthritis

Arthritis
Arthritis Arthritis is inflammation of the joints. Causes include injury, abnormal metabolism (such as gout), inheritance (such as in osteoarthritis), infections (such as...learn more >>
Hip Pain
Hip Pain There are many causes of hip pain such as arthritis, trauma, strains, sprains, and other conditions that cause referred hip pain. Hip pain can be sharp, sudden,...learn more >>
Knee Pain
Knee Pain Overview Knee pain has a wide variety of causes and treatments. Home care for knee pain involves protecting the knee from further trauma, in addition to resting, icing, ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Osteoarthritis:

Osteoarthritis - Treatment

What was the treatment for your osteoarthritis?

Osteoarthritis - Experience

Please describe your experience with osteoarthritis.

Osteoarthritis - Prognosis

What is your osteoarthritis prognosis?