Viewer Comments: Osteoporosis - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Osteoporosis:

Osteoporosis - Symptoms

The symptoms of osteoporosis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: theresa, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 10

I have osteoporosis. At the onset of my disease, I had headaches and pain in my neck going down my shoulder and arm. That was like three months ago. Now I had to go back to the hospital and I'm still having pain right now. I have pain on the back of my neck to the left side. I have leg and feet problems and it hurts to walk at all now. Sometimes my feet tingle. I've tried different pain pills and now the doctor has ordered something else that I only take at night.

Comment from: Joanelle, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 11

I am a 54-year-old female with osteoporosis. Recent routine x-rays of the wrist were positive for osteoporosis. I was being treated simultaneously for hyperthyroidism. Further blood work revealed severe vitamin D deficiency. The slideshow has helped me understand the relationship between the Vitamin deficiency and the thyroid disease causing problems in a patient who has a minimum of 2000 mgs of calcium in diet alone, with 500 mgs more via supplements. I was not aware the thyroid problem could contribute to onset of osteoporosis.

Must Read Articles Related to Osteoporosis

Bone Mineral Density Tests
Bone Mineral Density Tests Osteoporosis (or porous bone) is a disease in which bones become weak and are more likely to break. Bone mineral density tests check the strength and solidness ...learn more >>
Fall Prevention and Osteoporosis
Fall Prevention and Osteoporosis Osteoporosis (or porous bone) is a disease in which bones become less dense, resulting in weak bones that are more likely to break. Without prevention or treatm...learn more >>
Hormone Replacement and Osteoporosis
Hormone Replacement and Osteoporosis Hormone replacement therapy (HRT) and estrogen replacement therapy (ERT) is often used in treating the learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Osteoporosis:

Osteoporosis - Treatment

Please describe how you're treating your osteoporosis.

Osteoporosis - Share Your Experience

Do you or a relative have osteoporosis? Please share your experience.