Viewer Comments: Osteoporosis - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Osteoporosis:

Osteoporosis - Treatment

Please describe how you're treating your osteoporosis.

Comment from: Mrs B, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

At 65 years of age I requested a bone density test to be done. I had no symptoms at all. In fact a close friend mentioned it to me. That test revealed that I do have osteoporosis. After being on Fosamax for a few years, I read that I could have degeneration of the jaw bone which concerned me and I called my doctor's office and was switched to Actonel. My condition did not improve and other medications were suggested. Currently I am using a calcium supplement hoping that my condition will improve.

Comment from: Annette, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 26

I just finished an 8 month course of daily Forteo injections and bone density is improved.

Must Read Articles Related to Osteoporosis

Bone Mineral Density Tests
Bone Mineral Density Tests Osteoporosis (or porous bone) is a disease in which bones become weak and are more likely to break. Bone mineral density tests check the strength and solidness ...learn more >>
Fall Prevention and Osteoporosis
Fall Prevention and Osteoporosis Osteoporosis (or porous bone) is a disease in which bones become less dense, resulting in weak bones that are more likely to break. Without prevention or treatm...learn more >>
Hormone Replacement and Osteoporosis
Hormone Replacement and Osteoporosis Hormones are produced by glands in our bodies. They are chemicals that have specific effects on different parts of our bodies. For example, the ovaries produce ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Osteoporosis:

Osteoporosis - Symptoms

The symptoms of osteoporosis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?