Font Size
A
A
A

Osteoporosis and Calcium (cont.)

How Calcium Helps Prevent Osteoporosis

Calcium makes bones strong. In fact, bones and teeth contain 99% of the body's total calcium, with the remaining 1% in intracellular and extracellular fluids. Bones act as a storehouse for calcium, which is used by the body and replaced by the diet throughout a person's life. If enough calcium is not consumed, the body takes it from the bones. If more calcium is removed from the bones than is consumed in the diet, the bones become fragile and weak as a person gets older, leading to osteoporosis and fractures.

Osteoporosis prevention begins during childhood and adolescence by getting enough exercise and the proper nutrients, including calcium and vitamin D. However, adults can help prevent osteoporosis in the same ways.

The importance of calcium in developing and maintaining bone mass (bone density) varies throughout a person's life. At times of rapid and significant bone growth (during the teenage years) or rapid bone loss (after age 50 years), calcium is more important. Therefore, to reduce the risk of osteoporosis, calcium intake should be the highest during adolescence and after 50 years of age. See Prevention of Osteoporosis for more information.

Medical Author:

Must Read Articles Related to Osteoporosis and Calcium

Osteoporosis FAQs
Osteoporosis FAQs Osteoporosis (or porous bone) is a disease in which bone loss occurs, so bones become weak and are more likely to break. This FAQ includes information about tre...learn more >>
Osteoporosis in Men
Osteoporosis in Men Osteoporosis (or porous bone) is a disease in which bones become weak and are more likely to break. Without prevention or treatment, osteoporosis can progress w...learn more >>
Prevention of Osteoporosis
Prevention of Osteoporosis Osteoporosis (or porous bone) is a disease in which bones become weak and are more likely to break (or fracture). Osteoporosis is preventable for most people. P...learn more >>



Read What Your Physician is Reading on Medscape

Osteoporosis (Secondary) »

Osteoporosis, a chronic progressive disease, is the most common metabolic bone disease in the United States.

Read More on Medscape Reference »


Medical Dictionary