Viewer Comments: Ovarian Cancer - Symptoms and Signs

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Ovarian Cancer:

Ovarian Cancer - Symptoms and Signs

For ovarian cancer, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: NewCAOvary, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I was normal for about a month before my surgery for ovarian cancer. I suddenly felt bloating in my abdomen and felt like something moving around. My GP mistook it for gas and treated me for Gastritis. I developed a sharp pain near my diaphragm. I went to a gynecologist who immediately advised an ultrasound. I surgery to remove my ovaries, omentum and uterus. Will soon be starting chemo.

Comment from: tecraamf, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 20

I was diagnosed with stage 1 B, grade 3 (aggressive) epithelial ovarian cancer. The GYN felt a cyst on my ovary during routine annual exam last December. I was asymptomatic. He sent me for a vaginal ultrasound, which found three cysts on my ovaries but opined that they were most likely benign. My GYN recommended a hysterectomy and small cancers were found on each ovary, a surprise finding during the surgery. My uterus, both ovaries, both fallopian tubes and cervix were removed. They saw nothing else. I then had a CT scan after surgery which showed no residual malignancy. Two weeks later I had a cancer staging surgery and the pathologies from that were all negative. Now, they think I am cured. That routine exam saved my life.

Comment from: from Michigan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 13

My abdomen was tight. Since I had been working with a personal trainer, I thought it was finally paying off. But when I began to slosh a bit as I tossed and turned at night, I turned to my sister, an RN. She knew something wasn't right and insisted I go to the doctor. An ultrasound showed I had a problem. Ten days later, 10 litres of ascites was removed as they did a complete hysterectomy. I was diagnosed with Stage IIIc epithelial ovarian cancer.

Comment from: LadyPegasus, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I am a 47 year-old woman with history of several pregnancies, four of them full term. I entered the ER after severe abdominal pains and vomiting with a gush of blood from the vaginal area. The blood gush slowed to almost nil while I was in the ER and the doc originally thought it was just a hormonal imbalance but wanted to run more tests to make sure. Good doctor! Turns out there was a giant mass, suspected to be fibroid in nature, along with a beautiful 11 mm kidney stone complicating the whole mess! The ob/gyn who was going to do the surgery did further testing and examinations of the tests already done and determined that it was more likely that it was ovarian cancer and looks like it might have spread. I see the GYN next week to schedule the surgery, which they say to expect to happen ASAP.

Comment from: fleas, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

Prior to being diagnosed with ovarian cancer, I noticed a hard mass in my lower abdomen. It felt like an egg.

Comment from: Cat, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 04

I was diagnosed just after having my baby (age 32). The GYN thought I had cysts on my ovaries while pregnant, meanwhile I think it was a tumor, I was huge when pregnant. At my 6 week check-up after having my baby, the GYN missed a mass in my abdomen, which I could feel myself a few weeks later, by pressing my abdomen. I didn't have any other pain or symptoms, but the tumor was very big. I also had night- sweats where I would wake up and have to change my clothes as they were so wet. I thought it was something to do with having been pregnant. I went to my GP who sent me for a CT scan and blood tests - which showed that I may have cancer, and then I had surgery to remove the tumor and one ovary. They thought it was benign, but found cancer after testing the tumor. It was Stage 1a Cancer and I chose not to have chemo as it had not spread. One year later I am fine but go for regular check-ups. I hope to have more children.

Published: December 13

My wife started getting her periods closer together about a year ago, maybe about a week early. We thought it was pre menopause and dismissed it. She also had bouts of depression and slept much of the day. Suddenly, her abdomen began to swell to the point where she looked like a late stage pregnancy. This happened very quickly, over the course of a week. Went into Dr. and did CT scan which showed a large, grapefruit sized tumor on her ovary. Two weeks later, she had surgery, but the cancer had spread so much into the bowel, intestines, colon and lymph nodes, the surgeon could not complete the operation. After the operation, she continued to fill with fluid and every three days she would have the fluid drained because she could not breathe or eat. She was constantly in horrible pain and could not sleep. For three weeks after surgery, she could not hold down solid food or even liquids. My wife literally starved to death because the cancer would not allow her any nutrition. We tried tpn, as well and that didn't work. She eventually passed away three weeks after her surgery due to respiratory failure. This disease is horrible. One day, you appear to be perfectly healthy and a month later, you are no longer here. It's unfair. We need to find a screening method for ovarian cancer. Ladies in your 40's, if you feel tired, and your periods are getting closer together. If you have any changes in your lower abdomen or reproductive parts, don't put off going to the doctor because you assume it is just pre menopause. Get a full pelvic exam. Get an abdominal CT scan if you can. It may save your life. When you have overt signs such as heavy bloating and distension of the abdomen, it is already too late. Ovarian Cancer will take your life.

Must Read Articles Related to Ovarian Cancer

Breast Cancer
Breast Cancer Breast cancer is the second leading cause of cancer in women. Symptoms and signs of breast cancer include breast lumps, nipple discharge or inversion, or change...learn more >>
Cancer Symptoms
Cancer Symptoms Most symptoms and signs of cancer may also be explained by harmless conditions, so it's important to limit one's risk factors and undergo appropriate cancer scr...learn more >>
Cancer: What You Need to Know
Cancer: What You Need to Know The news comes like a sledgehammer into the stomach: "I'm sorry to tell you, but you have cancer." Every year, a million Americans are devastated by news of can...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Ovarian Cancer:

Ovarian Cancer - Diagnosis

How was your ovarian cancer diagnosed?

Ovarian Cancer - Experience

Please describe your experience with ovarian cancer.

Ovarian Cancer - Stages

What stage was your ovarian cancer when it was diagnosed?

Ovarian Cancer - Prognosis

What is the prognosis for your ovarian cancer?