Viewer Comments: Ovarian Cancer - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Ovarian Cancer:

Ovarian Cancer - Symptoms

For ovarian cancer, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: from Michigan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 13

My abdomen was tight. Since I had been working with a personal trainer, I thought it was finally paying off. But when I began to slosh a bit as I tossed and turned at night, I turned to my sister, an RN. She knew something wasn't right and insisted I go to the doctor. An ultrasound showed I had a problem. Ten days later, 10 litres of ascites was removed as they did a complete hysterectomy. I was diagnosed with Stage IIIc epithelial ovarian cancer.

Comment from: LadyPegasus, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I am a 47 year-old woman with history of several pregnancies, four of them full term. I entered the ER after severe abdominal pains and vomiting with a gush of blood from the vaginal area. The blood gush slowed to almost nil while I was in the ER and the doc originally thought it was just a hormonal imbalance but wanted to run more tests to make sure. Good doctor! Turns out there was a giant mass, suspected to be fibroid in nature, along with a beautiful 11 mm kidney stone complicating the whole mess! The ob/gyn who was going to do the surgery did further testing and examinations of the tests already done and determined that it was more likely that it was ovarian cancer and looks like it might have spread. I see the GYN next week to schedule the surgery, which they say to expect to happen ASAP.

Comment from: fleas, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

Prior to being diagnosed with ovarian cancer, I noticed a hard mass in my lower abdomen. It felt like an egg.

Comment from: Cat, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 04

I was diagnosed just after having my baby (age 32). The GYN thought I had cysts on my ovaries while pregnant, meanwhile I think it was a tumor, I was huge when pregnant. At my 6 week check-up after having my baby, the GYN missed a mass in my abdomen, which I could feel myself a few weeks later, by pressing my abdomen. I didn't have any other pain or symptoms, but the tumor was very big. I also had night- sweats where I would wake up and have to change my clothes as they were so wet. I thought it was something to do with having been pregnant. I went to my GP who sent me for a CT scan and blood tests - which showed that I may have cancer, and then I had surgery to remove the tumor and one ovary. They thought it was benign, but found cancer after testing the tumor. It was Stage 1a Cancer and I chose not to have chemo as it had not spread. One year later I am fine but go for regular check-ups. I hope to have more children.

Published: December 13

My wife started getting her periods closer together about a year ago, maybe about a week early. We thought it was pre menopause and dismissed it. She also had bouts of depression and slept much of the day. Suddenly, her abdomen began to swell to the point where she looked like a late stage pregnancy. This happened very quickly, over the course of a week. Went into Dr. and did CT scan which showed a large, grapefruit sized tumor on her ovary. Two weeks later, she had surgery, but the cancer had spread so much into the bowel, intestines, colon and lymph nodes, the surgeon could not complete the operation. After the operation, she continued to fill with fluid and every three days she would have the fluid drained because she could not breathe or eat. She was constantly in horrible pain and could not sleep. For three weeks after surgery, she could not hold down solid food or even liquids. My wife literally starved to death because the cancer would not allow her any nutrition. We tried tpn, as well and that didn't work. She eventually passed away three weeks after her surgery due to respiratory failure. This disease is horrible. One day, you appear to be perfectly healthy and a month later, you are no longer here. It's unfair. We need to find a screening method for ovarian cancer. Ladies in your 40's, if you feel tired, and your periods are getting closer together. If you have any changes in your lower abdomen or reproductive parts, don't put off going to the doctor because you assume it is just pre menopause. Get a full pelvic exam. Get an abdominal CT scan if you can. It may save your life. When you have overt signs such as heavy bloating and distension of the abdomen, it is already too late. Ovarian Cancer will take your life.

Comment from: pitbull lover, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 04

I am a 6 year survivor. My symptoms were: extreme fatigue (sleeping 12 to 14 hours a day), lower backache, and feeling full after eating very little. I had cystic granulosa cell tumor ovarian cancer at the age of 41.

Comment from: MINTY, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

I am currently recovering from surgery and have had my first cycle of chemo. I put off taking my symptoms to the GP for some time. The first was bladder weakness, and having seen all the TV ads and assumed in a woman of my age 52 that incontinence was natural. I bought the pads. The next symptom was a bloated feeling in my lower abdomen. Again I believed the ads and bought the yogurt. A very sore hip finally took me to the GP who sent me to hospital where a 16cm mass was found. Please if you are experiencing any of the above symptoms, they are not "just our age". Get them checked out.

Must Read Articles Related to Ovarian Cancer

Cancer Symptoms
Cancer Symptoms Most symptoms and signs of cancer may also be explained by harmless conditions, so it's important to limit one's risk factors and undergo appropriate cancer scr...learn more >>
Cancer: What You Need to Know
Cancer: What You Need to Know The news comes like a sledgehammer into the stomach: "I'm sorry to tell you, but you have cancer." Every year, a million Americans are devastated by news of can...learn more >>
Ovarian Cysts
Ovarian Cysts There are several different types of ovarian cysts (noncancerous growths). Follicular, corpus luteum, hemorrhagic, dermoid, endometrioid (endometriomas), polycy...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Ovarian Cancer:

Ovarian Cancer - Diagnosis

How was your ovarian cancer diagnosed?

Ovarian Cancer - Experience

Please describe your experience with ovarian cancer.