Viewer Comments: Ovarian Cancer - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Ovarian Cancer:

Ovarian Cancer - Symptoms

For ovarian cancer, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

As for ovarian cancer, I was diagnosed with a stromal cell tumor when I was 29, so my situation was a bit different. I had no real symptoms at all related to my abdomen, other than the usual stomach issues I've had my entire life. I did develop terrible acne all over my back and chest, which I guess was due to the extra estrogen production. I went in for my yearly exam and my GYN found the mass, which hurt when he pressed on it. Then I had an ultrasound at his office. They thought it was a cyst until it ruptured and was sent in for lab work after my emergency surgery. I actually didn't know it was cancer until a week after my surgery. The cancer had metastasized by that point, so I did undergo chemotherapy. I do have to say that having your yearly exam is essential or I may never have known about my cancer. Five years later, I have had no recurrence and I now have a 3 year old son.

Comment from: tennisgirl62, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

I was warming up for a work-out at the gym. Prior to doing sit-ups I do a move called "organs in place" which keeps women from developing a "muscle bulge" low in abdominal area and helps develop a flatter stomach. When I pressed on the inside of my hip bone and pushed down and toward belly button I felt a weird sharp pain. This was February 2007. Had an pelvic ultrasound two days later and surgery to remove ovary 10 days later, full hysterectomy and "cancer surgery".

Comment from: Sassy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

I felt stomach pain and lower back pain. I would take Peptol Bismol and it would alleviate the stomach pain but the pain would always seem to resurface again. At the time I was so busy I couldn't have time to run to the doctor so I kept on taking the Peptol bismol. Usually the Peptol bismol would always help me out. Not this time. I went to my doctor and told him what I was feeling. He sent me for a battery of tests. The doctor told me I had a mass on the right side of my ovary. I had already gone through menopause and was 52 years old. I went to the gynecologist. He sent me to a cancer specialist where who gave me a hysterectomy, they took out my appendex and I had an oopherectomy. After, the doctor told me I had stage 2 ovarian cancer. I went through chemotherapy. I lost my hair and everything and I'm lucky to be alive today. I'm a cancer survivor. It's been 3 years for me.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

I recently went to the hospital bleeding badly from the rectum and was told I had "Ischemic Colonitis". However, I continued to have diarrhea, no appetite and a lot of pain in the left side, lower and some upper region. After a CT scan I was told Saturday that I have a growth, about 1-1/2 inches on my left ovary. I had a hysterectomy back in the 70's but only the Uterus. I am very afraid it is cancer and am now waiting for a pelvic ultrasound to get more info. I am having trouble thinking positively for which I am ashamed of myself! The waiting is making me crazy! God bless all of you and please pray for me as well.

Comment from: karen, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 14

I have just been diagnosed with ovarian cancer, luckily it has been caught very early but this was only due to the fact that my periods became very irregular. I didn't have a period for 5 months then for the last 6 have had one constantly. If I hadn't persisted going to the doctors it could have been very serious. I was just told that it was the menopause as I am now 50. Don't give up if you know something is not right we know our bodies better than anyone.

Must Read Articles Related to Ovarian Cancer

Cancer Symptoms
Cancer Symptoms Most symptoms and signs of cancer may also be explained by harmless conditions, so it's important to limit one's risk factors and undergo appropriate cancer scr...learn more >>
Cancer: What You Need to Know
Cancer: What You Need to Know The news comes like a sledgehammer into the stomach: "I'm sorry to tell you, but you have cancer." Every year, a million Americans are devastated by news of can...learn more >>
Ovarian Cysts
Ovarian Cysts There are several different types of ovarian cysts (noncancerous growths). Follicular, corpus luteum, hemorrhagic, dermoid, endometrioid (endometriomas), polycy...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Ovarian Cancer:

Ovarian Cancer - Diagnosis

How was your ovarian cancer diagnosed?

Ovarian Cancer - Experience

Please describe your experience with ovarian cancer.