Viewer Comments: Ovarian Cysts - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Ovarian Cysts:

Ovarian Cysts - Symptoms

The symptoms of ovarian cysts can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

...

Be fore I was diagnosed with ovarian cysts, I had very bad cramping. I was infertile and I had excess hair growth and I had an irregular period.

Comment from: RJ18092009, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 30

I was diagnosed at a young age with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) because of irregular periods. It was confirmed with hormone blood tests. I had been on the pill for a few years and have been off the pill for a while now and taking medications for fertility. I have been directly trying to conceive for 12 months have been tired and feeling like I'm hung over but have not drunk any alcohol. Thought I had a bladder infection and did urine and swab test and all clear then thought it may be kidneys so had a scan and found 2 cysts, 4cm and 6cm. Have follow up scan in six weeks to see if they growing or shrinking they are haemaphoric cyst, which was a huge shock for me. Side pain can be excruciating at times and very mild at other times it is very odd.

Comment from: TLyon, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 30

I felt fine, was about to get in the shower. Suddenly I felt a pain unlike any other. It was comparable to a contraction during child birth. I have had two children both via c-section, and my recovery from the c-sections was also comparable to the pain I felt. At the hospital the doctor pushed down on my uterus and it was like someone was trying to rip it out of my body. I was told that the cyst was 3cm large and had not burst like they normally do, but was leaking into my lower abdomin which was why the pain was not stoping. I was also informed that the original pain, that lasted for around 2hrs prior to receiving any medical attention, was due to the streatching of the cyst in my ovary. I am having my follow up ultrasound soon to ensure that the cyst was gone and everything else on my ovary and in my lower abdomen looked clear. This is not something I would like to go through again that's for certain.

I'm 34 weeks pregnant and was diagnosed at 25 weeks with a 20cm ovarian cyst - right side. Being an herbalist, I refused surgery and changed my diet that day to a totally alkaline diet (vegan - all raw veggies, fruits, nuts and berries with a protein shake/organic vitamins - no processed/prepared animal/vegan foods). And now at 34 weeks, the once complex cyst is now a simple cyst and is currently measured at 9cm and the 'tail' is part of an inflamed intestinal tract, not related to the cyst, that seems to be reducing itself as the cyst becomes smaller. The cyst has been expressing itself over time and I feel the burn from time to time, but am feeling fine overall. I'd had one in 2005 which was 10cm that burst and I survived it with NO surgeries either. But my doctor has NEVER seen a cyst of this size reduce itself and he's still pushing a c-section and ovariectomy. He's even called it different types of cysts, not really knowing what he's looking at - such a letdown. With this sort of progress, I told him there is no way I'll do any surgery till the baby is born, especially since he can't properly diagnose it, and even then I wouldn't do the surgery. I can use herbals that are non-pregnancy friendly once baby is out and safe and stick to a vegan diet (no animal proteins of any kind, no beans or wheats - they are all acid foods). My cell biologist brother in law has done research in cancers and leukemia. It has been his observations in lab settings that cancers, tumors and cysts cannot live in an alkaline environment. So ladies, change your diet and drink your electrolytes and don't forget to exercise/walk. Oh, and this sort of diet surely will keep you all from becoming big fat cows during pregnancy and be healthy for baby. I've only gained 28lbs and am mobile, active and feel good now and all baby vitals are excellent! Hope this helps anyone in some small way.

Comment from: caliegrl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I have a small cyst on my left ovary. I have not had a periods in four years. I have a past history of endometriosis. I thought once the period stops you don't get any more pain. I am 56 years old.

Comment from: alex, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I was told about two years ago that I have ovarian cysts. I was taken to the hospital one night and was told. I was also told that because of how serious it is, I have a very real possibility of not being able to have children. Last year the pains were getting so bad I missed more than half the school year.

Comment from: Cara, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: December 03

About four months ago I was diagnosed with an ovarian cyst on my right ovary after several visits to the hospital. My period is super irregular. I got my period the first day of school and that was the only time I had it all year, except for a couple weeks ago (which probably wouldn't even count as a period because it lasted one day). The pain is so unbearable lately and it interferes with my life. I have read and researched about everything there is to know about these. My cyst as of my last appointment was four centimeters. I'm going to a gyno tomorrow. I'm hoping that I don't have to get another pelvic done. They hurt worse than the cyst.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Ovarian Cysts

Birth Control Hormonal Methods
Birth Control Hormonal Methods "The pill" was introduced in the United States in 1962 and signaled a new era for women and their ability to control their fertility.learn more >>
Birth Control
Birth Control Overview The practice of birth control is as old as human existence. Today, the voluntary control of fertility is of paramount importance to modern society.learn more >>
Cyst (Cysts)
Cyst Cyst (cysts) are abnormal sac-like structures that can occur anywhere in the body. Examples of cysts include: ovarian cysts, sebaceous cyst, ganglion cyst, pilo...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Ovarian Cysts:

Ovarian Cysts - Causes

What was the cause of your ovarian cysts?

Ovarian Cysts - Treatments

What was the treatment for your ovarian cancer cysts?

Find Your Best Self: Discover new ways to live an inspiring life through beauty, diet, and fitness ideas.