Viewer Comments: Ovarian Cysts - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Ovarian Cysts:

Ovarian Cysts - Symptoms

The symptoms of ovarian cysts can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: Indiana, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I had my first surgery to remove a cyst from the inside of my ovary about 6 years ago. I was actually very, very sick for about 8 months before the doctors figured out what was wrong. My ovary was about 11cc (average is 7) and the cyst was leaking into my body causing all of my abdomen to be infected with no response from antibiotics (for 8 months I looked like I was dying and felt that way too). Once I had the cyst removed from the inside of my ovary I felt 100% better. Then 2 years ago I was having sharp pains on the other side of my body. I got a UTI which the only other time I have gotten one of those I had the first cyst. I immediately scheduled an appointment. This time my ovary was 23 1/2 cc. This was causing so much pain it actually hurt to breathe. I had surgery to have it removed. I begged my surgeon to remove the ovary but she was able to save it. I just wanted one less ovary to worry about. Now I am having severe pain in both of my ovaries. Besides regular pain (which is normal at this point) I got a UTI. This now seems to be my body's sign of a problem. I have an appointment next week but I am not ready to go through this again. I have not found any information on cysts inside of ovaries. I have symptoms of very heavy, painful periods, but they only last 3 days. I have pain when I am ovulating and I have severe pain when other cysts burst (sweating buckets, vomiting, shaking on the bathroom floor in a fetal position). I have seen many doctors about this but they make me sound like a hypochondriac.

Comment from: concerned, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 19

I am 54 yrs old. I recently had pelvic reconstructive surgery instead of a hysterectomy. I went through recovery and started back to work. I did fine until the 3rd night back I started having lower back and abdominal pain like I had before the surgery. I went to my doctor who has now ordered ultrasounds and MRI's. It's been 3 days and the pain has lightened up but not gone away. I have no history of ovarian cancer in my family though I do have history of other cancers. Waiting to have tests at this point.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 12

At 17 years old I woke in the middle of the night in sudden horrible pain. After three hours of trying everything to calm it down my parents took me to the emergency room thinking of a ruptured appendix. Every bump in the road hurt! After being examined with a sonogram I was told I had ovarian cysts. I was kept for observation and sent home later. At 18 I had another one. Being in college without health coverage I suffered in the dorm by myself. At 19 I went on birth control. Using control to regulate my always irregular periods I had no more cysts. At 21 I had my son and early on had a small cyst that eventually disappeared. At 24 I had my daughter without any problems. Now at 26 I just had another baby girl 8 weeks ago. I had my first period last week (it lasted 8 days) today as I was cleaning. I felt what I thought was discharge but when I went to clean it I found blood. I thought this was maybe caused by the recent birth. Less then 2 minutes later I was hit with severe pain on my left side. The pain was comparable to contractions but only on one side. It was low and stayed in one spot. I knew the pain, I knew the symptoms I had started. (I felt nauseous the day before but thought it was due to stress going on because we are moving) Putting all the information together - menstrual period last week, I just gave birth, nausea and abdominal pain on one side. It is obvious to me that it is yet again another cyst. I am not on birth control right now so more then likely my system is still out of touch from birth and contributed to the cyst. I have taken regular pain reliever, drinking lots of fluids to help hydrate me. I took my folic acid for my reproductive health. I have heated rice packs on my abdomen and the pain is keeping me from standing up or walking well. Occasionally the pain spikes causing worse pain and back pain. Then it will die down to a constant ache. Again the pain is similar to contractions but is continual! The spikes are awful and I seem to involuntarily curl into fetal position! However after experiencing these before the only concern for me is watching for extreme vomiting and fever. Other wise if the pain is still there by next week I will visit the doctor. I don't know how it is related but I do suffer a lot of issues with my reproductive health. I have an excess of yeast that grows throughout my body causing me 5+ infections a year... I had a difficult pregnancy this past round, preterm labor, bedrest. My periods are always irregular, I have PMDD, and my period cramps are also contraction like. (I've gotten used to contraction pain from it's constant presence in my life) Ovarian and Uterine Cancer is common in my maternal side of the family. I'm not a stranger to pain there so I am not easily alarmed however I do wish medical science would be able to help the woman with these issues other then offer a hysterectomy. Well that's all. Symptoms, mystery, pain, treatment. I hope this all aids some other woman who is experiencing cysts.

Related Reading: folic acid

Comment from: sccarymarie, 19-24 Female Published: October 08

I experienced a slight ache in my side where my overies are. as well as discomfort during sex. The longer i waited to see if it would go away, it got worse. I had a doctor tell me it was in my head and had to visit two other to finally find out i needed an ultrasound. Ask for the ultrasound before anything else.

Comment from: srsisto, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 07

I have had gastrointestinal distress (diarrhea) for several years, then had severe pelvic pain on right side. A pelvic ultrasound showed a small ovarian cyst on right ovary (I am a 72 year-old woman). Two months later another pelvic ultrasound showed growth in the right ovary cyst plus a cyst on left ovary. My doctor says this is not a problem, that they are simple cysts. My maternal grandmother died of ovarian cancer, and my sister is a breast cancer survivor, so the presence of cysts is worrisome for me.

Must Read Articles Related to Ovarian Cysts

Birth Control Hormonal Methods
Birth Control Hormonal Methods "The pill" was introduced in the United States in 1962 and signaled a new era for women and their ability to control their fertility.learn more >>
Birth Control
Birth Control Overview The practice of birth control is as old as human existence. Today, the voluntary control of fertility is of paramount importance to modern society.learn more >>
Cyst (Cysts)
Cyst Cyst (cysts) are abnormal sac-like structures that can occur anywhere in the body. Examples of cysts include: ovarian cysts, sebaceous cyst, ganglion cyst, pilo...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Ovarian Cysts:

Ovarian Cysts - Causes

What was the cause of your ovarian cysts?

Ovarian Cysts - Treatments

What was the treatment for your ovarian cancer cysts?

Find Your Best Self: Discover new ways to live an inspiring life through beauty, diet, and fitness ideas.