Viewer Comments: Ovarian Cysts - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Ovarian Cysts:

Ovarian Cysts - Symptoms

The symptoms of ovarian cysts can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: caliegrl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I have a small cyst on my left ovary. I have not had a periods in four years. I have a past history of endometriosis. I thought once the period stops you don't get any more pain. I am 56 years old.

Comment from: alex, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I was told about two years ago that I have ovarian cysts. I was taken to the hospital one night and was told. I was also told that because of how serious it is, I have a very real possibility of not being able to have children. Last year the pains were getting so bad I missed more than half the school year.

Comment from: Cara, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: December 03

About four months ago I was diagnosed with an ovarian cyst on my right ovary after several visits to the hospital. My period is super irregular. I got my period the first day of school and that was the only time I had it all year, except for a couple weeks ago (which probably wouldn't even count as a period because it lasted one day). The pain is so unbearable lately and it interferes with my life. I have read and researched about everything there is to know about these. My cyst as of my last appointment was four centimeters. I'm going to a gyno tomorrow. I'm hoping that I don't have to get another pelvic done. They hurt worse than the cyst.

Comment from: Angst18, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

I had what I thought was really bad cramps. Within an hour of the onset of the cramping, I was not only in serious abdominal pain, but sweating profusely and shaking. Thinking I was sick, my girlfriend (a nurse, ironically), put me to bed. I knew something was really wrong when I spent the next five hours trying not to breathe too deeply, because if I did, my entire abdominal wall would spasm. Finally, I went to the ER. It turns out that I had an ovarian cyst that had ruptured in such a way that I had severe internal bleeding. By the time I went into surgery I had bled out over one-third of my blood into the upper part of my stomach. It totally sucked, but I was up and working again in just a few days.

Comment from: LizF, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

It all started three years ago almost three years ago. I went into the emergency department for a pain on my left side. Back then the doctor on call wanted an X-ray. He said there was a small sac on my ovary. Now he said to make appointment with my family doc. My family doctor passed it off as a kidney stone, so I went home relieved. About a week ago, I felt something pop on my left side. I went to the hospital again and the doctor said that it sounds like a popped cyst. He suggested that we keep an eye on it. That was it. Yesterday found out that it is a cyst. Now I'm waiting on result to see if it's cancer.

Comment from: ginniepig 123, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

I have ovarian cysts. I had two attacks that were terribly painful. Then I had one that felt like I was dying. I woke up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom suddenly I was sweating profusely literally drenched my clothes were stuck to me. I was nauseated and vomiting. I felt I was going to pass out when my son found me he went and got my husband. I suffered through it. Later that day I went to my primary doctor. He then sent me to my gynecologist I had an ultra sound and they discovered it was a twisted cyst.

Comment from: linda, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 06

I'm 45 years old. At 18, I was told I had endometriosis. I was always getting infections and having pains during intercourse. I had lots of laparoscopic procedures to burn the endometriosis. At 20 my doctor told me to have kids right away if I wanted any.

Comment from: ddenise21, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

I have been seeing my doctor every six months to monitor my ovarian cysts. I was prescribed birth control to retard the rate cysts were growing. I didn't have any symptoms at first but as of lately I have been having pelvic pain that feels like it is literally in my bone.

Comment from: Lourdes, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 21

I went for a follow-up ultrasound for ovarian cysts with my gyno as I was diagnosed in the ER. I was advised one had ruptured. I was in pain. At the follow-up, the ultrasound tech advised that the cyst is no longer there. I was told that it disappered. I wonder how accurate this is.

Must Read Articles Related to Ovarian Cysts

Birth Control Hormonal Methods
Birth Control Hormonal Methods "The pill" was introduced in the United States in 1962 and signaled a new era for women and their ability to control their fertility.learn more >>
Birth Control
Birth Control Overview The practice of birth control is as old as human existence. Today, the voluntary control of fertility is of paramount importance to modern society.learn more >>
Cyst (Cysts)
Cyst Cyst (cysts) are abnormal sac-like structures that can occur anywhere in the body. Examples of cysts include: ovarian cysts, sebaceous cyst, ganglion cyst, pilo...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Ovarian Cysts:

Ovarian Cysts - Causes

What was the cause of your ovarian cysts?

Ovarian Cysts - Treatments

What was the treatment for your ovarian cancer cysts?