Viewer Comments: Ovarian Cysts - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Ovarian Cysts:

Ovarian Cysts - Symptoms

The symptoms of ovarian cysts can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: Pebblesdn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 31

I went to the hospital with mild fever and pain in pelvic region. Tests came back as a bladder infection. After 10 days of antibiotics, the bladder infection had not gone away. I went back to the hospital again and this time they found a 7 cm cyst on left ovary. I had the Da Vinci surgery and had my ovaries removed.

Comment from: lnorris, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I am 19 years old. A couple months ago, I had really heavy bleeding with clots for two weeks straight with bad cramps. I went to the doctor and got an ultrasound. They told me that it was a cyst on my left ovary. They gave me medication that is supposed to reduce the pain. Last time I had my period was the end of August. I haven't gotten my period in two months and sometimes I get sharp pains in my left pelvic area that would sometimes travel to my left and right sides. When I did get the sharp pains, I would have to stand still for 10 seconds until it went away. I sometimes get nauseated, but I'm not sexually active so I know I'm not pregnant. I have a doctor's appointment next week to figure out what could be wrong with me.

Comment from: caliegrl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I have a small cyst on my left ovary. I have not had a periods in four years. I have a past history of endometriosis. I thought once the period stops you don't get any more pain. I am 56 years old.

Comment from: alex, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I was told about two years ago that I have ovarian cysts. I was taken to the hospital one night and was told. I was also told that because of how serious it is, I have a very real possibility of not being able to have children. Last year the pains were getting so bad I missed more than half the school year.

Comment from: Cara, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: December 03

About four months ago I was diagnosed with an ovarian cyst on my right ovary after several visits to the hospital. My period is super irregular. I got my period the first day of school and that was the only time I had it all year, except for a couple weeks ago (which probably wouldn't even count as a period because it lasted one day). The pain is so unbearable lately and it interferes with my life. I have read and researched about everything there is to know about these. My cyst as of my last appointment was four centimeters. I'm going to a gyno tomorrow. I'm hoping that I don't have to get another pelvic done. They hurt worse than the cyst.

Comment from: Angst18, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

I had what I thought was really bad cramps. Within an hour of the onset of the cramping, I was not only in serious abdominal pain, but sweating profusely and shaking. Thinking I was sick, my girlfriend (a nurse, ironically), put me to bed. I knew something was really wrong when I spent the next five hours trying not to breathe too deeply, because if I did, my entire abdominal wall would spasm. Finally, I went to the ER. It turns out that I had an ovarian cyst that had ruptured in such a way that I had severe internal bleeding. By the time I went into surgery I had bled out over one-third of my blood into the upper part of my stomach. It totally sucked, but I was up and working again in just a few days.

Comment from: LizF, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

It all started three years ago almost three years ago. I went into the emergency department for a pain on my left side. Back then the doctor on call wanted an X-ray. He said there was a small sac on my ovary. Now he said to make appointment with my family doc. My family doctor passed it off as a kidney stone, so I went home relieved. About a week ago, I felt something pop on my left side. I went to the hospital again and the doctor said that it sounds like a popped cyst. He suggested that we keep an eye on it. That was it. Yesterday found out that it is a cyst. Now I'm waiting on result to see if it's cancer.

Comment from: ginniepig 123, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

I have ovarian cysts. I had two attacks that were terribly painful. Then I had one that felt like I was dying. I woke up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom suddenly I was sweating profusely literally drenched my clothes were stuck to me. I was nauseated and vomiting. I felt I was going to pass out when my son found me he went and got my husband. I suffered through it. Later that day I went to my primary doctor. He then sent me to my gynecologist I had an ultra sound and they discovered it was a twisted cyst.

Comment from: linda, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 06

I'm 45 years old. At 18, I was told I had endometriosis. I was always getting infections and having pains during intercourse. I had lots of laparoscopic procedures to burn the endometriosis. At 20 my doctor told me to have kids right away if I wanted any.

Must Read Articles Related to Ovarian Cysts

Birth Control Hormonal Methods
Birth Control Hormonal Methods "The pill" was introduced in the United States in 1962 and signaled a new era for women and their ability to control their fertility.learn more >>
Birth Control
Birth Control Overview The practice of birth control is as old as human existence. Today, the voluntary control of fertility is of paramount importance to modern society.learn more >>
Cyst (Cysts)
Cyst Cyst (cysts) are abnormal sac-like structures that can occur anywhere in the body. Examples of cysts include: ovarian cysts, sebaceous cyst, ganglion cyst, pilo...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Ovarian Cysts:

Ovarian Cysts - Treatments

What was the treatment for your ovarian cancer cysts?

Ovarian Cysts - Causes

What was the cause of your ovarian cysts?