Viewer Comments: Ovarian Cysts - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Ovarian Cysts:

Ovarian Cysts - Symptoms

The symptoms of ovarian cysts can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: Mz.G.Wilson, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 01

I had a sharp pain in my ovary area, irregular bleeding and pain during intercourse, so I went to the hospital and that's what it was…

Comment from: pain no more, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 01

For three menstrual cycles, I have experienced low abdominal pelvic pain. I started calendaring my episodes and found that there is definite pain and discomfort, including bloating, that commences on the first day of ovulation. It seems that my ovulation has become more uncomfortable than my actual menstrual periods. I have undergone many examinations and have confirmed that I have a cyst on each ovary. One measures 2 cm. I definitely experience pain after a bowel movement or occasionally after urination and have had low grade fever on two occasions. My doctor has prescribed a low dose birth control pill to stop ovulation. I hope this will stop the problems this pain has caused. Only time will tell. Next month, I will follow up with my OB GYN, at which time an ultrasound will be performed in order to see if the cysts have continued to grow.

Comment from: mac, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I went to the doctor and they found a cyst on my ovary. I get them all the time but this one is shaped differently and hard. Future tests to come. I went to the doctor because I was having a lot of symptoms. Pelvic pain, migranes, extreme fatique and hairloss.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I had ovarian cysts on both of my ovaries. Back in 2005 I had surgery, but until today I still have the pain on both of my ovaries. Also because of the cysts, I have lots of problems with my period. Some times I can go 10 months without a period. I have tried to get pregnant for the last 5 years, but it has not been possible, still looking for answers, gone to 3 doctors and can't do much aboutit. My symptoms are no periods and pelvic pain, sometimes severe especially if I have intercourse, and facial hair.

Comment from: mrs1657, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 26

My experience started with 2 or 3 small cysts on my right ovary. I had already had my uterus removed due to a fibroid tumor so when the cyst popped up I really didn't want another surgery even though they were painful. My doctor gave me an injection of Depo-Provera to see if they would shrink which did work. Then a few months later I got another cyst 6 cm in size that doubled to 12 cm in less than a week. The doctor stated they would keep coming back so it would be best to have the right ovary removed. I had that done laparoscopically, but the doctor left a very small piece of ovary because it was close to my ureter and she didn't want risk nicking it. At the time I was grateful, but that "one-in-a-million" chance has resulted in another cyst growing off that teeny tiny piece of ovary. So now they want to open me back up to make sure they get the whole thing but I'm not wanting the surgery especially if there's a chance of nicking my ureter.

Comment from: overy cyst, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 26

My wife is having a cyst and the doctors have planned on a laparoscopy, but when they took her to the theater they have found some other matter wrong with the fallopian tube and they said they removed the cysts as well, but still we are not successful having children and when we contacted another doctor he said that my wife has a cyst. Now he said that this is in her left side and no need to worry about it. My wife complains every time she gets her periods there is a severe pain in her right side of the stomach. The only thing that we are still worrying about is not being able to have children.

Comment from: Pat, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I have cysts on the left and right sides of my ovaries. I like to walk outside and often go to the gym, but sometimes when I finish working out or walking, I have pain in my lower stomach.

Comment from: fancyface, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I'm 27 and been having multiple cysts in both of my ovaries for 10 years. They come and go and I'm still in a lot of pain. Vicodin is not helping and it's bothersome when I walk. My last doctor told me if I wanted to I can have my right ovary removed but it was my decision. No further testing was done so I'm just so confused as to what other testings i need to do and if surgery is necessary.

Must Read Articles Related to Ovarian Cysts

Birth Control Hormonal Methods
Birth Control Hormonal Methods "The pill" was introduced in the United States in 1962 and signaled a new era for women and their ability to control their fertility.learn more >>
Birth Control
Birth Control Overview The practice of birth control is as old as human existence. Today, the voluntary control of fertility is of paramount importance to modern society.learn more >>
Cyst (Cysts)
Cyst Cyst (cysts) are abnormal sac-like structures that can occur anywhere in the body. Examples of cysts include: ovarian cysts, sebaceous cyst, ganglion cyst, pilo...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Ovarian Cysts:

Ovarian Cysts - Causes

What was the cause of your ovarian cysts?

Ovarian Cysts - Treatments

What was the treatment for your ovarian cancer cysts?