Viewer Comments: Ovarian Cysts - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Ovarian Cysts:

Ovarian Cysts - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience when you have/had ovarian cyst(s)?

...
Comment from: cachuda, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 07

I am in my mid 40s and for months I knew something was off down there but couldn't pinpoint it. Perhaps it is just peri-menopause. Something started to feel out of place with pelvic/vaginal pressure. As time went by, I developed some weird off and on all over leg pains and heat sensations in legs, and had unexplained back ache for a while. Then later felt like a water balloon was in my pelvis and had cramping especially after repeatedly bending over. I thought it was prolapse but pelvic exam did not confirm this. I was a runner for years and now have too many pains all over hips, legs, and low back to run at all anymore; and muscles pulling all over in weird ways in lower body. I suppose this could have something to do with hormonal imbalances or arthritis as coincident to ovarian cyst(s).

Comment from: jacqueline, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 30

I have been having extreme pelvic pain since I was 17. I could always tell when I ovulated. I was sent to specialists and gynecologists all my life. I would curl up in a ball for days from pain. I would have ultrasounds. They would say it was just an ovarian cyst. Today at 52 I still feel like I am giving birth. It hurts awfully. I feel like my cervix is being ripped in half. It hurts to urinate, hurts to have bowel movement, sex is out of the question. I have severe pain in my back, down my thighs, fevers and bone chilling tremors. I can't wait for the wonderful experience of menopause, which hopefully doesn't last 35 years.

Comment from: DawnB, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 22

I'm 31 and about 7 or 8 weeks ago I started having back pain. Then it moved into my front lower pelvic area and then once again moved this time into my right hip so bad I couldn't lift my leg without horrible pain and had trouble sleeping. Then the pain started to spread into my leg. Very tight and crampy! In addition to the pain I had major bloating, the appearance of 6 or 7 months pregnancy, fatigue, hot flashes, and random headaches. After putting up with this for 5 weeks I finally caved in and went to urgent care. She did a full pelvic exam, Pap and urine test (negative). She could feel that something was going on with my right ovary. So she sent me for an ultra sound. The ultra sound showed something on my right ovary, two different technicians thought it was a 6 week old fetus! But I had a negative pregnancy test last week. Thirty minutes after my appointment my obstetrician/gynecologist called me and told me to rush to the emergency room right away for emergency surgery! After 7 hours in the waiting room they call me back and tell me the blood pregnancy test was also negative. So it must just me a hemorrhagic corpus luteum cyst. No surgery go home and call your obstetrician/gynecologist first thing in the morning for a follow up. She doesn't want to see me for 2 weeks! Eight weeks later I'm still exhausted and my leg (buttocks and hip) cramps are debilitating at times. And my hormones are out of control (I cried for 10 hours after the nurse made me feel crazy for trying to get an earlier appointment)! I have a hard time buying their diagnosis. But I haven't even got to talk to anyone about why or what this is and when or how I will feel better. Everyone said to talk to my obstetrician/gynecologist and she is seriously making me wait two weeks! So I had to self-diagnose by googling!

Comment from: molly101, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 21

I have been diagnosed with endometriosis since 23 years old, which I believe I suffered with while I was a teenager. After 3 surgeries (last one being a hysterectomy), I am left with one ovary on the left side and was told that I had a 1 inch cyst on it. That was 7 weeks ago. I am in constant pain and my doctor tells me one time that it is a hemorrhagic cyst and then says it is a functional cyst. She cannot get her story straight. This is the same doctor that gave me my hysterectomy 9 weeks ago. I am going for a second opinion. I have been in pain since the surgery. I am now having other pains in places that I would not wish anyone to have pain. I am tired of cysts and tired of pain altogether. I am still young (late 30s). I seem to have swapped out one pain for another.

Comment from: jasper, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 01

I am 21 years old and I was diagnosed with bilateral ovarian cysts. The one on the right was about 9 cm big and the one on the left was basically like two tennis balls growing onto each other with a diameter of 7.7 cm. This caused me so much pain over the years and my medical practitioners were telling that it was kidneys that was inflamed due to infection but I wasn't even sexually active at the time. It was only when I was 21 and joined my medical aid scheme I got so sick at work, and I had terrible pains on the right side of my abdomen. I went and saw a doctor, she couldn't understand what was wrong so she sent me to a have a scan done and there I discover my cysts. I was hysterical but knew I had to get rid of them as they had caused me pain for so many years. I then took up the courage to see a gynecologist and showed her results from my sonar. She was so shocked that a young lady my age could have cysts that big and recommended that I have to have my cysts surgically removed. I was frightened but I had to. I went through with the surgery and it was a success. I had a C section to remove my massive cysts but all went well. I was in hospital for three days and the pain I experienced was worth it because I now live my life pain free. All I now wonder is how long it will take me to conceive. My gynecologist told me that I will be able to have 6 kids but I haven't even had luck so far with 1. I wonder if I am stressing for nothing.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Ovarian Cysts

Hormonal Methods of Birth Control
Birth Control Hormonal Methods

Hormonal types and of options for b...learn more >>

Birth Control Types (Effectiveness and Side Effects)
Birth Control Overview Many different types of birth control are available. They include:
  • hormonal methods,
  • barrier methods, and
  • behavioral methods.
  • ...
learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Ovarian Cysts:

Ovarian Cysts - Causes

What was the cause of your ovarian cysts?

Ovarian Cysts - Experience

Please share your experience with ovarian cysts, for example, the type of cyst, any symptoms, the treatment, and/or any complications.

Ovarian Cysts - Treatments

What was the treatment for your ovarian cysts?