Viewer Comments: Ovarian Cysts - Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Ovarian Cysts:

Ovarian Cysts - Treatments

What was the treatment for your ovarian cancer cysts?

Comment from: June6Bug24, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I've had cervical cancer, on the inside of my uterus...not the outside of the cervix. I have a partial hysterectomy done and 5 years later was diagnosed with stage 4 pre cancer in my vagina. The doctor had me do a cycle of chemo cream and it was HORRIBLE and painful, but worked. I have had my pre-cancer show up three times in my vagina but not at that level and it has disappeared on its own. It's scary since the vaginal wall is so thin and the cancer, undetected, could spread to the bladder, colon, and pelvic cavity! I don't want a piece of my intestine for a vagina! I've lost uterine organisms...I don't want to lose feeling in my vagina! Now pain in my right side has led a new general practice doctor to do a pelvic ultrasound and they saw cysts on my ovaries so they continue the exam with a vaginal ultrasound. It was not painful, other than the turning of the wand to "get the pictures" the tech was after. She was very nice and did not say a word but I know an abnormal ultra sound at this point, when I have one. The family Dr. said two days later that I have multiple cysts on both ovaries and a very large on my right ovary but they look normal - per the radiologist's comments on the file. So, no other steps would be taken at this time. I'm a little confused. Why would they not want to do a little more to be sure there is no concern? I don't want trouble but don't want to hear in a year or more that someone is sorry, and I'm beyond help.

Comment from: DesperateMomof2, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I've been suffering from ovarian cysts for about 6 years. I'm 28. I had twins 4 years ago, and since their birth, my pain has had a huge increase. I'm not one to cry, or admit that I'm hurting. These cysts keep rupturing and I can't even crawl myself to the bed. I scream in pain. I've gone, a handful of times to the ER, only to lie on a stretcher for at least 6 hours (with an IV painkiller, if I'm lucky.) After I'm finally admitted, they ask me if I'm pregnant. I tell them "no." They do a pregnancy test. I'm not pregnant... So then they take another two hours to schedule an internal ultrasound. They find small traces of fluid that could be from a ruptured cyst. They give me a handful of painkillers, and send me on my way. I'm at the end of the rope. As of now, this condition leaves me debilitated for a good five days out of every month. I'm a single mom, and a strong woman who has to be in severe pain to not get out of bed with twin four-year-olds...

Comment from: kitten, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I am going in for a second surgery on my ovaries from having cysts. A year ago they took a couple big ones off my right ovary. Mind you I had a hysterectomy about 10 years ago, I signed for a total hysterectomy and woke up with still 2 ovaries . Since the surgery last year I have been in the same drop- you-to-the-floor pain, now I go in next month to have them both ovaries removed finally. I'm still not liking the idea of doctors taking parts out of me, but if it finally works like it should, maybe I'll enjoy life a lot more without the pain. Sex is unbearable... I'm only 48! Thank you for all your great information!

Comment from: Nafe, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 05

I was recently diagnosed with ovarian cysts although it apparently had been present for a while without my notice; I had the odd lower pelvic pain/leg cramp once in a while which I attributed to fatigue and ulcer pains. The first doctor told me straight up he was going to remove it with surgery but I went for a second opinion after talking to a few friends and the second doctor just put me on Primolut N today. Hopefully this will shrink it to the minimum. He says that surgery is no guarantee that it won't reoccur, so why should I do surgery now? I rather like the option of trying to cut the cysts down to size with medication in the first instance before surgery, if at all.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

Thus far, I have only had a diagnosis of a benign ovarian cyst after an ultrasound. I'm not confident that a picture can tell a doc if it is cancerous or not. My symptoms such as nausea and vomiting are continuing. No pain thankfully. I might go for a second opinion.

Comment from: BeeBee, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 30

I am going on 43 years old. I have my uterus removed due to fibroid tumors and some ovarian cysts. I was on the fence about removing my ovaries and the doctor informed me that no cysts were on my ovaries the day of the operation. Nine months after the hysterectomy, I had pain and CT scans and ultra sounds, rushed to ER, ovarian cysts. For the past four years, I have suffered from this pain. The hard part is not knowing when they will erupt, often while I am driving long distance to work. I am now contemplating removing my cysts because I am very active and the pain is so severe; it is cramping my lifestyle. If I am not able to exercise, sit forward, wear high heels and enjoy making love to my husband, and then I am not living. I already have two teen sons and I want to enjoy my life with them and not be in pain.

Comment from: Lena, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 09

Well I am 28 and I have cysts on my ovaries. My ob told me to take birth control for it but it's not helping me and I don't go to the ER anymore because all they tell me that they would do for me is give me pain meds and send me home so I called my ob and told her that I am still having pain from it and I am going in on the 14th of this month to see what she tells me so pray for me.

Must Read Articles Related to Ovarian Cysts

Birth Control Hormonal Methods
Birth Control Hormonal Methods "The pill" was introduced in the United States in 1962 and signaled a new era for women and their ability to control their fertility.learn more >>
Birth Control
Birth Control Overview The practice of birth control is as old as human existence. Today, the voluntary control of fertility is of paramount importance to modern society.learn more >>
Cyst (Cysts)
Cyst Cyst (cysts) are abnormal sac-like structures that can occur anywhere in the body. Examples of cysts include: ovarian cysts, sebaceous cyst, ganglion cyst, pilo...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Ovarian Cysts:

Ovarian Cysts - Causes

What was the cause of your ovarian cysts?

Ovarian Cysts - Symptoms

The symptoms of ovarian cysts can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?