Viewer Comments: Ovarian Cysts - Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Ovarian Cysts:

Ovarian Cysts - Treatments

What was the treatment for your ovarian cancer cysts?

Comment from: Elizabeth, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 15

I was found to have an ovarian cyst on my right ovary many years ago. The doctor treated it for a month with birth control pills hoping it would shrink. It didn't, so I was to have a laparoscopy and remove it. When I came out of surgery, I was cut vertically from my belly button to my pelvis. The doctor said the ovary was far back and hard to reach, and that is why she had to cut me in that way. I had seen the pictures of the cyst, and it was ugly and rather large. But, 'til this day, I still wonder why I couldn't be cut horizontally where my scar wouldn't be seen. It really messed my stomach up and it depresses me. I use to have a flat stomach, now it's always bloated and I have no muscle tone. Of course, I am older now, but I don't think I would've looked this bad. I always look like I'm pregnant! Also, because I was still young, she left part of my ovary intact--the one with the cyst removed which is okay with me.

Comment from: deedles, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

The first time it happened I was 20 years old, it happened after having sex. I went to the ER, doctors could not figure out why I was in horrible pain. They gave me some painkillers and sent me home. I continued to suffer through it at home, with little help from doctors, believing I would eventually die from the unbearable pain and dehydration. I could keep nothing down, and felt so weak. Finally after a few days, I noticed bleeding, and the pain subsided. Later the OB/GYN confirmed it was a ruptured cyst. The second time I was 23, after having sex again. I recognized the pain this time and went straight to ER, firmly insisting to them it was an ovarian cyst. The doctors were a lot more helpful this time. They did a CT scan and found a huge cyst. They successfully surgically removed both along with my right ovary altogether, because the cyst had strangled and killed my ovary. A year later I had a very successful pregnancy with no problems. All you need is one ovary to get pregnant anyway, but I am concerned that I may have severe hormonal imbalances now.

Comment from: D1979, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 16

I had severe abdominal pain with stabbing pains in my stomach during my periods since the age of 16. Also with it diarrhea and vomiting that was so severe I couldn't keep fluids down. I also had frequent polyps in my uterus and kidney which had to be removed. My doctor said they could do nothing for me except send me to the ER to get hydrated. I got several diagnoses including endometriosis and chronic cystitis. They called the cysts brown cysts. I've had two removed and one tied around my. I was told I would've died if I waited another day. I tried many birth control pills until I found one that is right for me. I have been taking it regularly for 3 years and my symptoms have stopped completely.

Comment from: Nicole, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

Every menstrual period, I get ovarian cysts. My mom thinks I'm having sex and that's how I'm getting them and I know that's not true. The pain is unbearable and I miss school. My doctor prescribed birth control to help treat it. The cysts went away, as well as my period. I still had all symptoms of my period, I just didn't bleed. So she took me off my birth control. I am lying in bed right now as I type this with a cyst that has just ruptured.

Comment from: June6Bug24, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I've had cervical cancer, on the inside of my uterus...not the outside of the cervix. I have a partial hysterectomy done and 5 years later was diagnosed with stage 4 pre cancer in my vagina. The doctor had me do a cycle of chemo cream and it was HORRIBLE and painful, but worked. I have had my pre-cancer show up three times in my vagina but not at that level and it has disappeared on its own. It's scary since the vaginal wall is so thin and the cancer, undetected, could spread to the bladder, colon, and pelvic cavity! I don't want a piece of my intestine for a vagina! I've lost uterine organisms...I don't want to lose feeling in my vagina! Now pain in my right side has led a new general practice doctor to do a pelvic ultrasound and they saw cysts on my ovaries so they continue the exam with a vaginal ultrasound. It was not painful, other than the turning of the wand to "get the pictures" the tech was after. She was very nice and did not say a word but I know an abnormal ultra sound at this point, when I have one. The family Dr. said two days later that I have multiple cysts on both ovaries and a very large on my right ovary but they look normal - per the radiologist's comments on the file. So, no other steps would be taken at this time. I'm a little confused. Why would they not want to do a little more to be sure there is no concern? I don't want trouble but don't want to hear in a year or more that someone is sorry, and I'm beyond help.

Comment from: DesperateMomof2, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I've been suffering from ovarian cysts for about 6 years. I'm 28. I had twins 4 years ago, and since their birth, my pain has had a huge increase. I'm not one to cry, or admit that I'm hurting. These cysts keep rupturing and I can't even crawl myself to the bed. I scream in pain. I've gone, a handful of times to the ER, only to lie on a stretcher for at least 6 hours (with an IV painkiller, if I'm lucky.) After I'm finally admitted, they ask me if I'm pregnant. I tell them "no." They do a pregnancy test. I'm not pregnant... So then they take another two hours to schedule an internal ultrasound. They find small traces of fluid that could be from a ruptured cyst. They give me a handful of painkillers, and send me on my way. I'm at the end of the rope. As of now, this condition leaves me debilitated for a good five days out of every month. I'm a single mom, and a strong woman who has to be in severe pain to not get out of bed with twin four-year-olds...

Must Read Articles Related to Ovarian Cysts

Birth Control Hormonal Methods
Birth Control Hormonal Methods "The pill" was introduced in the United States in 1962 and signaled a new era for women and their ability to control their fertility.learn more >>
Birth Control
Birth Control Overview The practice of birth control is as old as human existence. Today, the voluntary control of fertility is of paramount importance to modern society.learn more >>
Cyst (Cysts)
Cyst Cyst (cysts) are abnormal sac-like structures that can occur anywhere in the body. Examples of cysts include: ovarian cysts, sebaceous cyst, ganglion cyst, pilo...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Ovarian Cysts:

Ovarian Cysts - Causes

What was the cause of your ovarian cysts?

Ovarian Cysts - Symptoms

The symptoms of ovarian cysts can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?