Viewer Comments: Ovarian Cysts - Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Ovarian Cysts:

Ovarian Cysts - Treatments

What was the treatment for your ovarian cysts?

Comment from: Techgirl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I went to the (emergency room) ER for the first time ever this past Saturday with pain that I thought was a kidney stone. After test, it showed I had a cyst on my right ovary. On Monday, I still had lots of pain and my gynecologist sent me back to the ER for re-evaluation. This time a leaking cyst on my right ovary. White blood count was up and running fever off and on. I was sent home with pain medicines and told it would resolve itself. I have to work and I was in the bed for 4 days. Finally I went back to work where I stood on my feet for 9 hours and when I got home I was miserable plus my fever had shot back up. Can't they surgically remove a cyst! I don't get paid if I don't work!

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 23

I'm 58 and 4 months ago I had open surgery to remove a 15 cm cyst and my ovary and tube. It was a piece of cake for the surgery. I don't want to scare anyone but the healing was hard for a week. I was only in the hospital overnight because the doctor said I did excellent. They did some type of shot to numb my insides for pain. I felt great in the hospital walking up and down the hall with my IV machine. Once I got home the pain was awful. I couldn't get on and off the bed with the pain but each day it passed. Less than a week later I was cooking dinner. If you have to have the surgery just do it, you will feel so much better. A few days of pain with well worth getting rid of the awful cyst.

Comment from: cystfree, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 26

I had my first surgery when I was 20. A laparoscopy was performed to remove 14 cysts around both ovaries. Two months later another 10 came back. So I tried birth control pills, which made me gain more weight and imbalance my periods. For six years, I spent a lot of money on doctor's visits, surgeries, medication, etc. Until a friend recommended alternative medicine. So I started taking Cat's Claw 500 mg. It is amazing! After I finished the first bottle, they disappeared completely. Now, I have three children and no complaints since my first pregnancy. Although, I still have my yearly checkups done to keep me updated.

Comment from: diana, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I did Laparotomy almost two years ago because I had very large cysts on both ovaries, they looked like a bee hive cut open, during the surgery I was 11 weeks pregnant. So later the same year I had to do c-section to have my baby. 2 years later I'm pregnant.

Comment from: maribel, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 21

I had big problem with my ovarian cysts in both my left and right ovaries. I am afraid to go for surgery because I have no money to pay my surgery of my ovarian cysts, and other one is my myoma 1.5 cm.

Comment from: Elizabeth, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 07

I found out I have cysts on my left ovary. I have been feeling flu like symptoms diarrhea and tiredness. My left side hurts at times to where I can't sleep on it. I am diabetic, have hypothyroidism and blood pressure, and I take medications for all that. I also have a lot of anxieties and take medication for that and acid reflux. I heard that estrogen and progesterone can help cysts on the ovaries but with my diabetes, blood pressure, and hypothyroidism they tell people not to take HRT (hormone replacement therapy) and I am in menopause. I just want the pain to go away.

Comment from: lois, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I am 25 years old and three years ago I had my appendix removed. Since then I've suffered from sharp pain on my lower right side. I have recently had an internal scan that showed i have a cyst on my right ovary. I am not sure on the size of the cyst as I'm not due to get it removed until four weeks' time.

Comment from: ShellsH, 25-34 (Patient) Published: November 11

I'm 28 years old and have had problems with ovarian cyst since I was 12. I had my first major surgery when I was 12 and had a softball size cyst on my right ovary. The right ovary and cyst had to be removed. When I was 20 I had a cyst removed from my left ovary. When I was 24 I had another cyst removed on my left ovary. With all my surgeries I had to be cut open. Just two weeks ago I had another cyst on my left ovary bad had it removed laparoscopically. They had to remove my ovary also. So now I am 28 with no ovaries and will be going through menopause.

Must Read Articles Related to Ovarian Cysts

Hormonal Methods of Birth Control
Birth Control Hormonal Methods

Hormonal types and of options for b...learn more >>

Birth Control Types (Effectiveness and Side Effects)
Birth Control Overview Many different types of birth control are available. They include:
  • hormonal methods,
  • barrier methods, and
  • behavioral methods.
  • ...
learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Ovarian Cysts:

Ovarian Cysts - Causes

What was the cause of your ovarian cysts?

Ovarian Cysts - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience when you have/had ovarian cyst(s)?

Ovarian Cysts - Experience

Please share your experience with ovarian cysts, for example, the type of cyst, any symptoms, the treatment, and/or any complications.