Viewer Comments: Ovarian Cysts - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Ovarian Cysts:

Ovarian Cysts - Causes

What was the cause of your ovarian cysts?

Comment from: Mom, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 14

I had a few cysts, actually three in a row. I would have had an appendectomy if I hadn't insisted to verify for the cyst. Imagine! I ended up with ovarian torsion, which required immediate emergency surgery.

Comment from: AH, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 10

I am 43 and had my right ovary removed nine years ago after the second rupture of a cyst next to my artery. The first time I almost bled to death and the second time my doctor removed the ovary. The doctor said I shouldn't have further problems. Now I get cysts on the left ovary every month and taking birth control does not help. This has been going on for years and I'm really tired of the pain running my life. My current doctor doesn't seem to have any answers.

Comment from: shweta, 35-44 (Caregiver) Published: May 31

I had a sudden loss of weight. I lost about eight kgs in two months was cause of development of ovarian cysts in my case!

Comment from: Chibuzor, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 11

Hello, my ovarian cyst started right from when I was 17 years old. Now that I am 28 years old, I still fele pain below my abdomen. The pain increased recently and it left me with no choice than to go for a scan. The first scan said it was hemorrhagic cyst and the doctor suggested a surgery. I wasn't convinced so I went for another scan and it said I have a cyst. It got me so scared that I went to see my doctor after, showing him the results.

Comment from: Hopeful, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I have had an ovarian cyst since I was 17 and I am now 25. I had pain in my left side where my ovary is & I also was having very painful menstrual cramps. I went to my gyno and she sent me out for ultrasounds (invasive and non-invasive), blood tests, manual exams. She said it was being caused because I wasn't producing enough hormones that help with the menstrual cycle. The cyst was large, however, was a fluid-filled cyst that only flared up right before my cycle. She placed me on birth control which helped control it, however, I asked what my options were if I wanted to go off the pill. She said surgery wouldn't be the first option because I am petite and that could cause scar tissue which leads to infertility. I did not have any birth control side effects until recently (after being on the same birth control for years) which have been severe migraines. I went back to my gyno who switched birth controls and it's helped, however, I think about what I will do when I want to get pregnant. My gyno told me most cysts resolve on their own and only last several months. My cyst has lasted years, however, I am told only to really worry if the cyst is solid. Make sure you ask your gyno what options you have and go from there & do not avoid getting the ultrasounds.

Comment from: tm1242, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I developed cysts on my left ovary after my robotic hysterectomy. It was only 10 weeks after my surgery. My doctor told me they looked fined during my surgery, so I was a little confused that they started to give me problems so soon after.

Comment from: nadra71, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 25

My daughter is 19 years old, and was diagnosed with ovarian cysts two years ago, after multiple trips to the ER and her doctor. She has a history of irregular periods, and the BC pills that she was prescribed helped her at first. Unfortunately, the hormones in the pills triggered a condition called pseudo tumor cerebri (excess fluid on her brain that acted much like a tumor would), which in turn caused something called papillodema (swelling of her optic nerve caused by the pressure of the pseudotumor). Here is the problem: besides getting the swelling down, she can no longer take BC pills, or any kind of birth control. The hormones are what exacerbate her issues, and if she continued to use them, she would go blind. Unfortunately her cysts are back with a vengeance, and we are at a loss as to what to do. In addition, the pain does not respond to OTC pain relief medications.

Comment from: solymar4, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 12

I'm 34. I went to the hospital because I was having a lot of pain in my lower belly. The doctors there told me that I have ovarian cysts that burst. I'm so scared.

Must Read Articles Related to Ovarian Cysts

Birth Control Hormonal Methods
Birth Control Hormonal Methods "The pill" was introduced in the United States in 1962 and signaled a new era for women and their ability to control their fertility.learn more >>
Birth Control
Birth Control Overview The practice of birth control is as old as human existence. Today, the voluntary control of fertility is of paramount importance to modern society.learn more >>
Cyst (Cysts)
Cyst Cyst (cysts) are abnormal sac-like structures that can occur anywhere in the body. Examples of cysts include: ovarian cysts, sebaceous cyst, ganglion cyst, pilo...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Ovarian Cysts:

Ovarian Cysts - Treatments

What was the treatment for your ovarian cancer cysts?

Ovarian Cysts - Symptoms

The symptoms of ovarian cysts can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?