Viewer Comments: Palpitations - Effective Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Palpitations:

Palpitations - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your palpitations?

Comment from: Chris, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 01

I'm like several others on here. I started experiencing palpitations when I was about 16. I am now 36 and I have been having them roughly once a week for the last 20 years. Initially they only lasted for about 30 seconds, but for the last 10 years or so they have lasted up to several hours. I never experienced fainting or pain, but it is a very "disturbing" experience. Usually my heart rate jumps to around 200 beats per minute and remains regular, but then it will slow down and beat irregularly until it converts back to normal.

Comment from: sandy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I started having palpitations when I was 12 and am now 50. I also started my period and was put on thyroid medication that year. I was only on thyroid for a year, but I was also given Lanoxin for the palpitations because that's what my dad was on. (My dad has had this since age 32). Several years later I realized that the Lanoxin had no effect and I stopped taking it. I typically have episodes several times per year. They have occurred 3x in one week or once in 6 months. The rate is often 230+ beats per min. At first there seemed to be no precipitating factors but after a few years of recording it I noticed they sometimes would happen when I would bend over toward the floor while standing or when I would roll over in bed. I have always been able to stop them by lying down on the floor and taking a couple of deep breaths and they would stop suddenly - until recently. Now I have had 2 episodes when I could not get them to stop and after an hour I slowly went back to regular rhythm. Last week I was near my doctor's office when I could not get the palpitations to stop and I got there in time for an EKG. For the first time in 40 years, I have documentation

Related Reading: thyroid

Comment from: Verena, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

Valsalva maneuver & metoprolol, trying not to overdo the caffeine.

Comment from: Fred, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 10

I have had palpitations for the past 20 years and I just had to put up with it as nothing seemed to work. Last year, my doctor put me on diazepam tablets. It was the best thing to ever happen to me. I haven't had a single day of palpitations when I used to get them every day.

Comment from: Reggie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 30

I have of late had palpitations and last night and three nights ago laying in bed my heart was racing for no apparent reason. I am premenopausal and recently had hot flashes. My blood pressure has been high lately and this entire ordeal is freaking me out.

Comment from: Cader, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 06

My first episode of palpitation started 16 years ago. As advised by the Doctor, ECG and ECHO cardiac was done and found to be normal. When I inquired from the Doctor asking the underline reasons, he advised to reduce Tea and Coffee. Since then I had only very few episodes that was due to very heavy meals and increase caffeine intake.

Must Read Articles Related to Palpitations

Anxiety
Anxiety Anxiety is a feeling of apprehension, fear, or worry. Some fears and worries are justified, such as worry about a loved one. Anxiety may occur without a cause, ...learn more >>
Atrial Fibrillation (A Fib)
Atrial Fibrillation Atrial fibrillation (A fib) describes a rapid, irregular heart rhythm. The irregular rhythm, or arrhythmia, results from abnormal electrical impulses in the hea...learn more >>
Atrial Flutter
Atrial Flutter Atrial flutter is an abnormality in the beating of the heart. Such abnormalities, whether in rhythm of heartbeat or speed of heartbeat, are known as arrhythmias...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Palpitations:

Palpitations - Causes

What is the cause of your palpitations?

Palpitations - Experience

Please describe your experience with palpitations.