Viewer Comments: Palpitations - Effective Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Palpitations:

Palpitations - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your palpitations?

Comment from: Jen, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 25

I started having palpitations this year and I'm 26 yrs old, sometimes it makes me feel I would die soon, two Sundays ago while I was in church because I belong to the choir group, everything became blur all of a sudden and I could feel myself falling down until the lady beside me held me still and my vision came back gradually, during that short period of obscured vision, I felt a chill from my head to my brain, down my feet, and till now the memory of it scares me. When the palpitation initially started, i was prescribed with propranolol 1x daily, but prior to that Sunday incidence I hadn't taken the drug for about a week as i didn't want to live on drugs, now i take the drug every 2 days.

Comment from: Baton Rouge, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 26

Wow. It is a blessing to know I am not the only one going through this. Guys, you all don't know how much I pray and ask God to let me live and be here for my kids. I started having heart palpitations when I was 24 or 25 and I am now 38. I use to go a whole year and maybe have 2 a year. Now, I have them monthly and lately it has been weekly. I use to go to the ER and get Adenosine through IV. I got tired of that. My cardiologist prescribed Metoprolol ER and once I get palpitations, after 15 or 30 minutes. I take one Metoprolor ER and it helps. Again, I don't like being dependent on medicine, but what can you do? I have been blessed not to have pain, dizziness, etc. but blood pressure drops drastically. I think the Metoprolol does that. Every article has given me encouragement. THANK YOU for SHARING!!!!!!!

Comment from: adrie, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I am 23 years old, and three years ago, I started with my palpitations. It was really bad! My heart would race fast, and I'd get really dizzy and pass out. I was in the hospital for two weeks, and they did every test you can think of. I was the youngest one on the cardiac floor and the youngest to have an angiogram performed. It finally went away. They gave me Lopressor to slow down my heart rate. It worked a little. Well that was three years ago, and I've been having palpitations again. Sometimes it feels as if it skips a beat; sometimes it feels as if my heart is working hard to make a beat. I hate this, and it's scary! They never told me what was wrong. So now, here I am, wondering why its back and hoping it doesn't get to the point it was when I was passing out.

Comment from: unt80, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I have had palpitations since I was 14. I am now 28. It used to not be very bad, but I have noticed lately that they are getting much worse. I can actually feel it about a second before it starts. I am not overweight, don't smoke or drink. Mine is much, much worse when I am tired or when I am lying down. Rarely do I have a problem when I am actually moving.

Comment from: Chez, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 05

I have had double heart beats every day for over a year. I had an ECG where they could be seen and the doctor started me on 40mg propranolol three times a day.

Comment from: mommie4, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

I had two babies within 15 months of each other and was in my 40s. Three months after my last child was born, the palpitations started. I have had many tests and no true diagnosis as to why. One doctor says it's hormonal, but my baby is almost four and I am still having them.

Comment from: Beverlybeeb, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

I am on Toprol XL 25mg daily for palpitations and Cozaar 50mg for hypertension. Monday I had an injection in my knee of cortisone. The palpitations came back the day after the injection. I was finished walking on my treadmill for 30 minutes and they began and haven't gone away yet.

Comment from: Worsening Symptoms, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

My palpitations started 15 +/- years ago around age 50. I have had very little (to no) caffeine since then and drink minimal amounts of alcohol occasionally. I have been size 8 to 10 and have always exercised. The palpitations have been controlled with medication until the last month. For myself, I believe the entire cause is stress. That is reaffirmed by the comment by the person who was prescribed diazepam and has felt so much better and by the person who lies in the floor and takes deep breaths to relax.

Comment from: Chris, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 01

I'm like several others on here. I started experiencing palpitations when I was about 16. I am now 36 and I have been having them roughly once a week for the last 20 years. Initially they only lasted for about 30 seconds, but for the last 10 years or so they have lasted up to several hours. I never experienced fainting or pain, but it is a very "disturbing" experience. Usually my heart rate jumps to around 200 beats per minute and remains regular, but then it will slow down and beat irregularly until it converts back to normal.

Must Read Articles Related to Palpitations

Anxiety
Anxiety Anxiety is a feeling of apprehension, fear, or worry. Some fears and worries are justified, such as worry about a loved one. Anxiety may occur without a cause, ...learn more >>
Atrial Fibrillation (A Fib)
Atrial Fibrillation Atrial fibrillation (A fib) describes a rapid, irregular heart rhythm. The irregular rhythm, or arrhythmia, results from abnormal electrical impulses in the hea...learn more >>
Atrial Flutter
Atrial Flutter Atrial flutter is an abnormality in the beating of the heart. Such abnormalities, whether in rhythm of heartbeat or speed of heartbeat, are known as arrhythmias...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Palpitations:

Palpitations - Causes

What is the cause of your palpitations?

Palpitations - Experience

Please describe your experience with palpitations.