Viewer Comments: Palpitations - Effective Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Palpitations:

Palpitations - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your palpitations?

Comment from: Randie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

I am 61 years young. Three months ago, palpitations started. I really thought I was heading towards heart surgery or something. I went to the doctor thinking it was a consequence of my hysterectomy 9 months ago. Not so. I was out on a heart monitor and diagnosis was nasal myocardia or something like that. I was told it was not life threatening. I went to a cardiologist. He put me on .25 mg of metoprolol. It's the third day on medication today and no more palpitations. So relieved and happy about doctor hitting it on the nail. I sure hope eventually, I can cut back or eliminate medicine. I'm undergoing a heart ultrasound tomorrow to rule out major issues.

Comment from: Delith, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 28

I am 68 and I have had palpitations since age 28. They have made my life miserable at times and no medication has helped. Beta blockers drop my blood pressure too low and make me feel exhausted. I have tried many drugs over the years.

Comment from: Jen, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 25

I started having palpitations this year and I'm 26 yrs old, sometimes it makes me feel I would die soon, two Sundays ago while I was in church because I belong to the choir group, everything became blur all of a sudden and I could feel myself falling down until the lady beside me held me still and my vision came back gradually, during that short period of obscured vision, I felt a chill from my head to my brain, down my feet, and till now the memory of it scares me. When the palpitation initially started, i was prescribed with propranolol 1x daily, but prior to that Sunday incidence I hadn't taken the drug for about a week as i didn't want to live on drugs, now i take the drug every 2 days.

Comment from: Baton Rouge, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 26

Wow. It is a blessing to know I am not the only one going through this. Guys, you all don't know how much I pray and ask God to let me live and be here for my kids. I started having heart palpitations when I was 24 or 25 and I am now 38. I use to go a whole year and maybe have 2 a year. Now, I have them monthly and lately it has been weekly. I use to go to the ER and get Adenosine through IV. I got tired of that. My cardiologist prescribed Metoprolol ER and once I get palpitations, after 15 or 30 minutes. I take one Metoprolor ER and it helps. Again, I don't like being dependent on medicine, but what can you do? I have been blessed not to have pain, dizziness, etc. but blood pressure drops drastically. I think the Metoprolol does that. Every article has given me encouragement. THANK YOU for SHARING!!!!!!!

Comment from: adrie, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I am 23 years old, and three years ago, I started with my palpitations. It was really bad! My heart would race fast, and I'd get really dizzy and pass out. I was in the hospital for two weeks, and they did every test you can think of. I was the youngest one on the cardiac floor and the youngest to have an angiogram performed. It finally went away. They gave me Lopressor to slow down my heart rate. It worked a little. Well that was three years ago, and I've been having palpitations again. Sometimes it feels as if it skips a beat; sometimes it feels as if my heart is working hard to make a beat. I hate this, and it's scary! They never told me what was wrong. So now, here I am, wondering why its back and hoping it doesn't get to the point it was when I was passing out.

Comment from: unt80, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I have had palpitations since I was 14. I am now 28. It used to not be very bad, but I have noticed lately that they are getting much worse. I can actually feel it about a second before it starts. I am not overweight, don't smoke or drink. Mine is much, much worse when I am tired or when I am lying down. Rarely do I have a problem when I am actually moving.

Comment from: Joe, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 28

I started with palpitations once in a while last year. They would happen when watching an exciting ballgame, or during some type of worry. An ECG found nothing. Last week, for a back injury, I was prescribed Ibuprofen. A couple of days later the palpitations came in bunches. I did not immediately think it was related. When they hit me at night, I could not sleep. I've had insomnia for five days. That's when I stopped the medication. I saw my doctor, and besides prescribing an alternate medication, he will shortly do more to help me with the palpitations.

Comment from: Chez, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 05

I have had double heart beats every day for over a year. I had an ECG where they could be seen and the doctor started me on 40mg propranolol three times a day.

Must Read Articles Related to Palpitations

Anxiety
Anxiety Anxiety as a medical condition is characterized b...learn more >>
Atrial Fibrillation (AFib)
Atrial Fibrillation Atrial fibrillation (AFib) describes a rapid, irregular heart rhythm. The irregular rhythm, or arrhythmia, results from abnormal electrical impulses in the hear...learn more >>
Atrial Flutter
Atrial Flutter Atrial flutter is a type of arrythmia, that is, an irregularity in the beating of the heart. Atrial flutter is caused by as misfiring of electrical nerve impuls...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Palpitations:

Palpitations - Causes

What is the cause of your palpitations?

Palpitations - Experience

Please describe your experience with palpitations.

Atrial Fibrillation Slideshow