Viewer Comments: Pancreatitis - Diet Prevention

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pancreatitis:

Pancreatitis - Diet Prevention

Has changing your diet helped your pancreatitis?

Comment from: Jeanine, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 16

I had my gallbladder removed in 1999. No problems until the last six months. I started to get old attacks until finally I was diagnosed with pancreatitis when I went to emergency three weeks ago. I was in the hospital for four days. I was told to give up alcohol even though a casual drinker. Three weeks later and I have been on liver cleansing diet and had big improvements until I tried coffee. It been trial and error with food but noticed better with juices, soups and light non-fat, non-processed food. Lots of vegetables, salads, water and smaller meals/snacks as opposed to two or three large meals per day.

Comment from: angroz, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I have had my gall bladder removed and like some post before me for years I would go to the hospital and while I was there it would go away. I got so bad that I would draw circles where the pain was so I could at least show where it started. After that surgery 1 year later I started having pancreatitis attacks every other week. My doctor told me that if I did not stop drinking I would die. I stopped drinking but kept having attacks and they started removing some of my medications I was taking on a daily basis.

Comment from: Steve, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 18

I don't drink alcohol and try to follow a low fat diet. I absolutely don't eat any fried foods. My gallbladder was removed and low fat is recommended for that too. It took almost a year for my digestion to get back to normal. If I eat a higher fat food I am rewarded with an immediate trip to the bathroom. It has been 14 months and I haven't had any recurrence of my pancreatitis.

Comment from: bobear, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

I have had chronic pancreatitis now for three years now, and I have changed my diet to eating broiled, or baked foods with little or no salt. I have found for some reason that when I eat potatoes or rice when I eat it seems to help a little. I wouldn't recommend eating too many fatty foods like nuts or beans since these seem to inflame your pancreatitis, most of all just pay attention when you eat to how you react to the foods you are eating.

Comment from: LaurenC, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 04

Three months ago I was taken to the emergency room for sever pains in my upper and lower abdomen, all through my back and in my kidneys. I was diagnosed with pancreatitis, and stayed in the ICU for five days. I couldn't eat anything but chicken broth, and I was given strong pain medication every two hours. I was told to cut out alcohol completely because if I had one more drink my doctor said it would kill me. I have changed my diet but still seem to have an attack every couple weeks.

Comment from: Phyl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

In I had surgery in 1998 done on my pancreas where they split my pancreatic duct and grafted it to my small intestines. Over the last few years I have been experiencing pain in that area again. My stools are bright yellow like they were in 1998.

Comment from: nicwinn, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I have felt very sharp pains for years, I'd rush to the hospital and it would go away and I'd turn around and go home. I do drink, but not every day, not even every week. After work one night I was making dinner and had a glass of wine and I felt sharp, sharp pains start, it got worse and worse so I told my husband I'm going to the hospital and went. Not unusual for him not to worry being that I had like three surgeries in two years and I'm only 37. I couldn't even make it though. I pulled into the local police dept. and begged for an ambulance. I waited in agony for three hours. I was in the hospital for 3 days and found out I have pancreatitis, and I've had it for some time. No beer, no wine, limit fat and good luck is what I was told.

Comment from: Jeremy recovered, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 20

I use to eat lots of candy and chocolate. Of course those have a lot of sugar in them. Since the pancreas is what balances insulin and helps prevent diabetes I stopped consuming a lot of sugar. My dad is diabetic and so I'm doomed to get it. I also stick with a greens (spinach salad) diet and eat lots of fish like tilapia, so my attacks are usually less often and less severe. I use to eat high fat and cholesterol foods like bacon. I stopped with food like that as well. I eat smaller more often meals rather than more food and less often. I also eat fresh fruits in the morning for breakfast and a healthy low fat snack in the afternoon like vegetables.

Must Read Articles Related to Pancreatitis

Abdominal Pain (Adults)
Abdominal Pain in Adults Abdominal pain in adults can range from a mild stomach ache to severe pain. Examples of causes of abdominal pain in adults include appendicitis, gallbladder dis...learn more >>
Abdominal Pain in Children
Abdominal Pain in Children Abdominal pain in children can range from trivial to life-threatening. Some possible causes of abdominal pain in children are: infections, food related (food al...learn more >>
Alcoholism
Alcoholism Alcohol problems vary in severity from mild to life threatening and affect the individual, the person's family, and society in numerous adverse ways. Despite al...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pancreatitis:

Pancreatitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with pancreatitis.

Pancreatitis - Symptoms

The symptoms of pancreatitis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?