Viewer Comments: Pancreatitis - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pancreatitis:

Pancreatitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with pancreatitis.

Comment from: Lucky in Kentucky, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 06

I had gall stones that moved from my gall bladder to my common bile duct. I collapsed at home in May of 2008 and only remember being admitted to our local hospital. I woke up eight days later at Jewish Medical Center in Louisville. It was diagnosed that I had pancreatitis as a result of the gall stone blockage of the bile duct. The stones were removed, and I was home in 12 days. Within 30 days, I had developed pseudocysts on my pancreas. One of them broke and for the next five months, I was in and out of the hospital. I had drainage tubes placed in my side and back to evacuate the fluid from the remaining cysts. I lost more than 110 pounds. I could not even look at food without feeling like I would throw up. I became dehydrated and malnourished and could not walk without assistance. In September of 2008, the doctors inserted a feeding tube and after a month, I began to gain some weight. At the end of October of 2008, I had the feeding tube removed. I began eating a controlled diet, and by mid-November, I was able to return to work on a part-time basis for the first time in six months. By the end of the year, I had regained about 15 pounds of the weight I had lost and was able to work my normal schedule. In March of 2009, I was healthy enough to have my gall bladder removed, which was the root cause of the pancreatits. In the 11 months since my recovery and return to work and normal life, I have gained another 30 pounds. I take a digestive enzyme daily, but aside from that, I have no lingering effects other than the scars from the tube insertion and gall bladder operation. There were days and weeks during my illness I felt certain I would die or at best never be the same. I am careful of my fat intake and by choice, not necessity or doctors' orders, I no longer drink alcohol. I had great doctors and nurses as well as family and friends that helped me through my illness. Without their skill, friendship and encouragement, I'm not certain I could be relating this story today.

Comment from: Little stuff, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 18

Four years ago I was admitted to the hospital after violent vomiting. I spent 2 months in the hospital and a month in rehabilitation and I had my gall bladder removed. I do not drink alcohol. I am finally back to myself and 3 weeks ago I had a bout with what I thought was food poisoning; another bout a week later after lousy Chinese food and then just felt queasy eating very little. Hospital showed pancreatitis in the CT scan and I am trying to get back to myself with low fat diet, no return to the hospital (yet).

Comment from: tony diaz, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 25

MY pancreatitis started in 2007 they told me I was a drinker. I had quit drinking 20 years before that. Then it became chronic pancreatitis. In 2012 I started vomiting a lot and I lost 56 pounds. I could take nothing through my mouth and my wife took me to the hospital they did a laparoscopy and the pancreas was so big down my stomach, and the duodenum. The doctor cut part of my stomach intestine to make room for my pancreas because it got too big. Now I can barely eat and I have lost a lot of weight and I have a lot of problems with my digestive system.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 22

My stepfather has been in the hospital for 10 weeks suffering from a chronic pancreatitis attack. It started out like indigestion and then acute stomach pain. They have done bloodwork, CTs, MRIs more tests than I can remember. He has more IV bags hooked up to him and now is in ICU as his body continues to retain fluid. He's on oxygen, sleeps most of the time and has aged plenty not to mention the weight loss. For every thing they try he goes one step forward and two back. The cysts attached to his pancreas are draining and getting smaller but where it is draining to is unknown. Today his kidneys have started to shut down. I could hear it in my mom's voice how scared she really is. I truly hope there's a miracle out there that can help him. I feel helpless as all I can do is watch. He has been smoke and alcohol-free for more than 15 years, and this is his first attack. He just spent his 60th birthday in the hospital.

Comment from: pgwodeshed, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 06

At first it felt like a horrible case of indigestion with a gas bubble that would not go away. There was no outright pain, but lots of abdominal tenderness that eventually turned into nausea and vomiting. At one point, my blood sugar shot up to 270, and I was so restless that I was thrashing about on my hospital bed, contrary to instructions to keep my leg still because of the thrombolysis I had had the night before. The dye used in the thrombolysis also led to acute renal failure (contrast nephropathy). A combination of insulin, IV antibiotics, and IV fluids brought the acute pancreatitis under control, but I could not tolerate any food except clear liquids for about three days. I haven't had a recurrence since then (three months later).

Comment from: caring person, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 24

I have had chronic pancreatitis since 1986 and have found that stress is one of the causes, for me. I avoid fatty foods and alcohol. During my six years of being sober, I only had two attacks, one of which hospitalized me for 30 days! No fun! I'm still sober now and choose to live the rest of this beautiful life that way. I would also add to be careful with the medications you take.

Must Read Articles Related to Pancreatitis

Abdominal Pain (Adults)
Abdominal Pain in Adults Abdominal pain in adults can range from a mild stomach ache to severe pain. Examples of causes of abdominal pain in adults include appendicitis, gallbladder dis...learn more >>
Abdominal Pain in Children
Abdominal Pain in Children Abdominal pain in children can range from trivial to life-threatening. Some possible causes of abdominal pain in children are: infections, food related (food al...learn more >>
Alcoholism Alcohol problems vary in severity from mild to life threatening and affect the individual, the person's family, and society in numerous adverse ways. Despite al...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pancreatitis:

Pancreatitis - Chronic Symptoms

What were your symptoms of chronic pancreatitis?

Pancreatitis - Diet Prevention

Has changing your diet helped your pancreatitis?

Pancreatitis - Acute Symptoms

What were your symptoms of acute pancreatitis?