Viewer Comments: Pancreatitis - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pancreatitis:

Pancreatitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with pancreatitis.

...
Comment from: pgwodeshed, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 06

At first it felt like a horrible case of indigestion with a gas bubble that would not go away. There was no outright pain, but lots of abdominal tenderness that eventually turned into nausea and vomiting. At one point, my blood sugar shot up to 270, and I was so restless that I was thrashing about on my hospital bed, contrary to instructions to keep my leg still because of the thrombolysis I had had the night before. The dye used in the thrombolysis also led to acute renal failure (contrast nephropathy). A combination of insulin, IV antibiotics, and IV fluids brought the acute pancreatitis under control, but I could not tolerate any food except clear liquids for about three days. I haven't had a recurrence since then (three months later).

Comment from: caring person, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 24

I have had chronic pancreatitis since 1986 and have found that stress is one of the causes, for me. I avoid fatty foods and alcohol. During my six years of being sober, I only had two attacks, one of which hospitalized me for 30 days! No fun! I'm still sober now and choose to live the rest of this beautiful life that way. I would also add to be careful with the medications you take.

I had increasing back pain for a few days and general malaise. I thought it was a kidney infection. I called my primary doctor and asked if he could see me or call me in antibiotics, but he told me to go to the ER. My co-workers thought it was silly to go for a kidney infection, but I had vomited once and the pain was getting a little more intense. I told the nurse I felt silly for being there, that I thought it was a UTI and that I had pain in my back on the left side and vomiting. They did a urine test and gave me some fluids and mild pain meds. Two hours later I was in extreme pain, could not stop vomiting and they came back and told me I had pancreatitis, and they were admitting me. As it turns out, I had sphincter of Oddi dysfunction causing the pancreatitis.

The cause of my pancreatitis is still under investigation. I almost never drink, and both a CT scan and MRI showed no gallstones in the duct (my gall bladder was laparoscopically removed in January). I had previously had several esophageal spasms severe enough to take me to the emergency room. These spasms had been relieved and prevented by dicyclomine, an anticholinergic. This time I had a very tight feeling in my abdomen that wouldn't go away, and that awakened me. My internist had prescribed Donnatal as an alternative to dicyclomine, and I thought the Donnatal was what made me begin to vomit violently and keep retching even when my stomach was emptied. I was taken by ambulance to the hospital and admitted same day. I spent 4 days there and am still on antibiotics (Flagyl & Cipro) to prevent the inflammation from developing into an infection. I am scheduled to see a gastroenterologist for follow-up.

Comment from: Ann, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I have had pancreatitis now for almost two years. I have no gall bladder problems. If I eat anything, in 10 minutes, the gas begins I can't figure out how it can start so fast. I have very frequent bouts of abdominal pain and I have seen multiple doctors in multiple states and I still have no relief. I now know what it is but no help with the pain. I spend a lot of time in bed in a fetal position to help with pain and drink nothing but water and I don't eat when I have pain. I am diabetic now with stage III kidney disease. When it first started, I lost 55 lbs in one month.

Comment from: Schu, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 24

I've had gallbladder removal surgery after experiencing terrible pain. I now have symptoms of pancreatitis that disable me for days at a time.

Comment from: molly, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

I had my gallbladder removed in 2000 and my digestive system has never been the same. I am lactose intolerant and have IBS. Around 2010, I started drinking really heavily due to the loss of my brother-in-law and then my ex-husband. I drank every day from the moment I woke up until I went to sleep. My liver was the first to go and next was my pancreas. I was hospitalized 10 times in 12 months. I almost died the last three times. I have pain every day of my life. I am worried now because I am more prone to pancreatic cancer.

Comment from: lLillie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I woke up with back pain which went around the front, in the area between my rib cage and top of hip bone and it severely progressed by noon. I went to hospital and blood tests and X-rays were done. According to my family doctor, they showed elevated levels indicating pancreatitis. However the E.R. doctor said I had a pulled muscle from coughing so much with a cold I had for almost seven weeks at the time. It was my third visit to hospital in five weeks. I am a caregiver of a spouse with dementia as well as a patient with pancreatitis.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Pancreatitis

Abdominal Pain (Adults)
Abdominal Pain in Adults Abdominal pain in adults can range from a mild stomach ache to severe pain. Examples of causes of abdominal pain in adults include appendicitis, gallbladder dis...learn more >>
Abdominal Pain in Children
Abdominal Pain in Children Abdominal pain in children can range from trivial to life-threatening. Some possible causes of abdominal pain in children are: infections, food related (food al...learn more >>
Alcoholism
Alcoholism Alcohol problems vary in severity from mild to life threatening and affect the individual, the person's family, and society in numerous adverse ways. Despite al...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pancreatitis:

Pancreatitis - Diet Prevention

Has changing your diet helped your pancreatitis?

Pancreatitis - Symptoms

The symptoms of pancreatitis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?