Viewer Comments: Pancreatitis - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pancreatitis:

Pancreatitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with pancreatitis.

Comment from: tony diaz, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 25

MY pancreatitis started in 2007 they told me I was a drinker. I had quit drinking 20 years before that. Then it became chronic pancreatitis. In 2012 I started vomiting a lot and I lost 56 pounds. I could take nothing through my mouth and my wife took me to the hospital they did a laparoscopy and the pancreas was so big down my stomach, and the duodenum. The doctor cut part of my stomach intestine to make room for my pancreas because it got too big. Now I can barely eat and I have lost a lot of weight and I have a lot of problems with my digestive system.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 22

My stepfather has been in the hospital for 10 weeks suffering from a chronic pancreatitis attack. It started out like indigestion and then acute stomach pain. They have done bloodwork, CTs, MRIs more tests than I can remember. He has more IV bags hooked up to him and now is in ICU as his body continues to retain fluid. He's on oxygen, sleeps most of the time and has aged plenty not to mention the weight loss. For every thing they try he goes one step forward and two back. The cysts attached to his pancreas are draining and getting smaller but where it is draining to is unknown. Today his kidneys have started to shut down. I could hear it in my mom's voice how scared she really is. I truly hope there's a miracle out there that can help him. I feel helpless as all I can do is watch. He has been smoke and alcohol-free for more than 15 years, and this is his first attack. He just spent his 60th birthday in the hospital.

Comment from: pgwodeshed, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 06

At first it felt like a horrible case of indigestion with a gas bubble that would not go away. There was no outright pain, but lots of abdominal tenderness that eventually turned into nausea and vomiting. At one point, my blood sugar shot up to 270, and I was so restless that I was thrashing about on my hospital bed, contrary to instructions to keep my leg still because of the thrombolysis I had had the night before. The dye used in the thrombolysis also led to acute renal failure (contrast nephropathy). A combination of insulin, IV antibiotics, and IV fluids brought the acute pancreatitis under control, but I could not tolerate any food except clear liquids for about three days. I haven't had a recurrence since then (three months later).

Comment from: caring person, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 24

I have had chronic pancreatitis since 1986 and have found that stress is one of the causes, for me. I avoid fatty foods and alcohol. During my six years of being sober, I only had two attacks, one of which hospitalized me for 30 days! No fun! I'm still sober now and choose to live the rest of this beautiful life that way. I would also add to be careful with the medications you take.

I had increasing back pain for a few days and general malaise. I thought it was a kidney infection. I called my primary doctor and asked if he could see me or call me in antibiotics, but he told me to go to the ER. My co-workers thought it was silly to go for a kidney infection, but I had vomited once and the pain was getting a little more intense. I told the nurse I felt silly for being there, that I thought it was a UTI and that I had pain in my back on the left side and vomiting. They did a urine test and gave me some fluids and mild pain meds. Two hours later I was in extreme pain, could not stop vomiting and they came back and told me I had pancreatitis, and they were admitting me. As it turns out, I had sphincter of Oddi dysfunction causing the pancreatitis.

The cause of my pancreatitis is still under investigation. I almost never drink, and both a CT scan and MRI showed no gallstones in the duct (my gall bladder was laparoscopically removed in January). I had previously had several esophageal spasms severe enough to take me to the emergency room. These spasms had been relieved and prevented by dicyclomine, an anticholinergic. This time I had a very tight feeling in my abdomen that wouldn't go away, and that awakened me. My internist had prescribed Donnatal as an alternative to dicyclomine, and I thought the Donnatal was what made me begin to vomit violently and keep retching even when my stomach was emptied. I was taken by ambulance to the hospital and admitted same day. I spent 4 days there and am still on antibiotics (Flagyl & Cipro) to prevent the inflammation from developing into an infection. I am scheduled to see a gastroenterologist for follow-up.

Comment from: Gonz, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 29

Pancreatitis was the worst and most excruciating pain I have ever gone through.

Comment from: Kate, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I had severe abdominal pain. It was agony, really. I was literally begging for help in A&E. I had to wait a few hours then blood tests showed pancreatitis. As soon as they knew what it was, I was given pain relief straight away but I thought I was dying while I was waiting.

Must Read Articles Related to Pancreatitis

Abdominal Pain (Adults)
Abdominal Pain in Adults Abdominal pain in adults can range from a mild stomach ache to severe pain. Examples of causes of abdominal pain in adults include learn more >>
Abdominal Pain in Children
Abdominal Pain in Children Abdominal pain in children can range from trivial to life-threatening. Some possible causes of abdominal pain in children are: infections, food related (food al...learn more >>
Alcoholism
Alcoholism Alcohol problems vary in severity from mild to life threatening and affect the individual, the person's family, and society in numerous adverse ways. Despite al...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pancreatitis:

Pancreatitis - Diet Prevention

Has changing your diet helped your pancreatitis?

Pancreatitis - Acute Symptoms

What were your symptoms of acute pancreatitis?

Pancreatitis - Chronic Symptoms

What were your symptoms of chronic pancreatitis?