Viewer Comments: Pancreatitis - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pancreatitis:

Pancreatitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with pancreatitis.

Comment from: lLillie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I woke up with back pain which went around the front, in the area between my rib cage and top of hip bone and it severely progressed by noon. I went to hospital and blood tests and X-rays were done. According to my family doctor, they showed elevated levels indicating pancreatitis. However the E.R. doctor said I had a pulled muscle from coughing so much with a cold I had for almost seven weeks at the time. It was my third visit to hospital in five weeks. I am a caregiver of a spouse with dementia as well as a patient with pancreatitis.

Comment from: bert, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 15

When I had pancreatitis, I had severe pain in my abdomen. I was also belching excessively and I also had a swollen stomach and intense itching in my back.

Comment from: Chris, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: January 15

January 2010, my father of 83, had acute pancreatitis. He got up in the morning and felt some chest pain. Thinking it was his heart, as he has a dissected aorta, he took a nitro spray. It didn't help. He went to the hospital where they took some blood tests which reviewed that he had pancreatitis. He was admitted that night and they gave him oxygen as he was having difficulty breathing and his abdomen was swollen. His breathing got more difficult during the night and they put him on a respirator and heavily sedated him. In the morning he was not responsive due to sedation. His blood was not taking on the IV and his kidneys were starting to fail. They did a CT scan around 4 in the afternoon which revealed that he had an abscess in his pancreas. At this point, there was very little they could do as his major organs were shutting down. His blood pressure continued to drop. He died around 9:45. The onset and deterioration was very quick (36 hours). Due to his age and health condition, there was very little that could be done. We received realistic prognosis and my father was made comfortable and did not suffer. I found this website helpful for knowledge and to understand and pancreatitis.

Comment from: melanie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 11

I felt as if a hot arrow had been shot through me and then an unbearable burning sensation started. I vomited, swelled up, and felt weak and lightheaded, and my breath got very shallow and rapid. My heart was racing. I collapsed and was sent to ER and admitted, they gave me an IV, morphine, and insulin for 4 days.

Comment from: Female (Patient) Published: January 04

I was diagnosed with acute pancreatitis in September of 2009 and was hospitalized for two weeks for treatment. My symptoms started out as abdominal and "gas" pains in the early morning and by the time I got home from work I was vomiting and knew something was wrong. I went to our local Acute Care clinic and they performed blood tests and did an x-ray of my stomach and intestines where they found that I was constipated and had an infection. The doctor recommended I go to the hospital to undergo a CT scan, with results indicating I had acute pancreatitis.

Comment from: Wog, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 29

Our son had a severe attack last Friday - went in to the hospital and I believe was mistreated in all phases of doctoring. First let me explain he is a recovering alcoholic, belongs to AA and religiously attends meetings. He has not had a drink or any substance abuse for over two years. The doctor who first saw him asked him how his pain was on a scale from 1 to 10 and he said nine and a half and he wasn't kidding. He was in severe pain. I believe the doctor looked at his chart, saw that he was an alcoholic and proceeded on that assumption and thus our son received very poor treatment. They tested his blood and urine sample and the doctor's conclusion was to give him an antacid. THIS WAS UNBELIEVABLE!!! He was in severe pain. They wanted him to stay overnight but because he wasn't getting any help for the pain he went home and ended up going back the next day and was confined for two or three days and I have no idea what was done then. I don't think this was proper treatment.

Comment from: Carrie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

My symptoms worsened over a period of 14 hours, and the pain in my upper abdomen and back were so severe that I had to call the ambulance to take me to the ER. I could barely stand up and walk and could not breathe very well and had pressure in my chest and severe sweating. I was diagnosed with acute pancreatitis and was in the hospital for 3 weeks on antibiotics and IV fluids, no food for the first 6 days. I have had a feeding tube for 8 weeks now but just got the OK to eat simple foods like rice and bananas. The doctors could not find any gallstones in my gall bladder but they said my case was so severe that I have to have my gall bladder out when my pancreas has healed completely to prevent a future attack. I am also a diabetic and have switched to insulin injections to control my blood sugar. I have more energy each day and I hope to have the feeding tube out soon. I have lost 20lbs and hope that with the gall bladder surgery, a low fat diet with no alcohol, exercise, and continued weight loss, I never have another attack again.

Must Read Articles Related to Pancreatitis

Abdominal Pain (Adults)
Abdominal Pain in Adults Abdominal pain in adults can range from a mild stomach ache to severe pain. Examples of causes of abdominal pain in adults include appendicitis, gallbladder dis...learn more >>
Abdominal Pain in Children
Abdominal Pain in Children Abdominal pain in children can range from trivial to life-threatening. Some possible causes of abdominal pain in children are: infections, food related (food al...learn more >>
Alcoholism
Alcoholism Alcohol problems vary in severity from mild to life threatening and affect the individual, the person's family, and society in numerous adverse ways. Despite al...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pancreatitis:

Pancreatitis - Diet Prevention

Has changing your diet helped your pancreatitis?

Pancreatitis - Symptoms

The symptoms of pancreatitis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?