Viewer Comments: Pancreatitis - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pancreatitis:

Pancreatitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with pancreatitis.

Comment from: bond, 19-24 Male Published: December 07

I had a pancreatic attack two months ago. I was admitted to the Intensive Care Unit (ICU). I had severe pain in my abdomen and in my back. I was in the hospital for 20 days and I was treated with antibiotics.

Comment from: olivia, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I have had upper abdominal tenderness since May 2009. I also have very bad heartburn and when I went to my family doctor, who found that my amylase and lipase levels were sky high and sent me immediately to get a CT scan. They didn't find any major swelling but they did see some fluid around my gall bladder which suggested that there had been some inflammation. My doctor's thought that I just passed a gall stone and that I would be fine. Later on in the summer I went to the ER because the discomfort was still there and my blood levels were still high. I was admitted diagnosed with pancreatitis even though my pancreas looked normal--with my elevated amylase, lipase and pain they kept me in the hospital. I had my gallbladder removed even though the HIDA scan came back normal. It wasn't my gallbladder-I am still having the discomfort, bloating, tenderness & bad heartburn. It's been weighing on me mentally as well, I can't concentrate in school (I'm 21) and I just feel stressed out a lot. I have an appointment with a pancreatic specialist in a couple weeks and I'm hoping he'll find a diagnosis. I don't want to live with this anymore and I don't want to be that 15% of pancreatitis patients who go undiagnosed. The whole thing is extremely frustrating.

Comment from: mom, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 19

My daughter complained of abdominal pain for a couple of weeks. The doctor requested blood work and an ultrasound but before it was done, she was in so much pain that we got her to urgent care on a Sunday. They did blood work but could not do a ultrasound as they did not have one. So, they sent her home with an appt to have one done the next day. Well the next day, she could not get out of bed, so I called an ambulance. She spent 5 days in hospital on antibiotics, morphine and Percocet. The blood work suggested pancreatitis. She is a teenager and does tend to drink at parties. She is slim to begin with. She was doing better after hospital but got worse. We finally got her back to the doctor who advised her of the low-fat diet, but I can see she needs to go on a liquid diet again. It's been hard on her. She has quit drinking and smoking and she's losing her job because she hasn't the energy to work, but she has a sweet boyfriend. Thank you for your time and attention to this. Love, Mom

Comment from: 55-64 Male Published: November 18

My husband collapsed with severe pain whilst on holiday. 12 weeks later, he developed acute pancreatitis caused by a gallstone. He had surgery to remove two-thirds of his pancreas and lost his battle in the end. He died shortly thereafter. With the 12 weeks he aged 20 years. He lost five stone in weight and had become a very confused and frightened man.

Comment from: Non-Fat Diet, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I had pain and a feeling of tightness stretching across my lower abdomen which got worse over a period of three weeks until it was hard to sit up and get out of bed in the morning. The area around my kidneys was also sore. Poops were always light-colored and sometimes somewhat yellow. I changed my diet, giving up most fatty items and eating way more salads and veggies, and stopped using the estrogen replacement patch, because there seems to be a connection with that and pancreatitis with some people. The non-fat diet, giving up the patch, and giving up all alcohol seem to have done the trick.

Comment from: Savitri, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

The first time I had severe pain in abdomen and back pain. The treatment also took two days to subside the pain. After 6 days of drip and injectable treatment I was done. Post treatment was a 1 year treatment with pancreoflat medicine and other required medication. CT scan showed no gall stones or related blockages. Now the second time after 3.5 years, I developed pain in my abdomen and reported it in hospital. I was again diagnosed of bulky pancreas and pancreatitis was ruled out. The treatment of clinical symptoms was pancreatitis and after 3 days, I was discharged from hospital with medications.

Comment from: Chipsi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 19

I was diagnosed with pancreatitis in July 2009. I didn't realize what the symptoms were. I had a bad headache for 2 straight weeks and then I started to feel better. But then all of a sudden I started to get pains in the stomach like bad indigestion that wouldn't go away. I was popping Tums like Tic Tacs. Nothing seemed to help and eating made things worse. Finally my husband talked me into going to our doctor. He ran alot of tests. That night I felt so really weak and sick. He had prescribed medication to help but it wasn't helping. I started passing out from the pain. I was so sick the next day, and my husband called the doctor's office that morning. The doctor called back and told me to go straight to the ER. By the time my husband got me there, I passed out getting out of the car. I don't remember much after that but my blood pressure was so low. It was like 65/30. The ER unit told my husband if I had come any later, I would have been dead. I was in the hospital for 5 days and badly dehydrated. The first 3 days I couldn't have anything to eat or drink besides ice chips. The doctor said I had to give the pancreas a rest. I was too sick to eat anyways. I just wanted a drink cause I was so thirsty but I had to make do with just ice chips. The bad thing is that pancreatitis can come back and I am afraid right now because my stomach has started to ache a lot recently.

Must Read Articles Related to Pancreatitis

Abdominal Pain (Adults)
Abdominal Pain in Adults Abdominal pain in adults can range from a mild stomach ache to severe pain. Examples of causes of abdominal pain in adults include appendicitis, gallbladder dis...learn more >>
Abdominal Pain in Children
Abdominal Pain in Children Abdominal pain in children can range from trivial to life-threatening. Some possible causes of abdominal pain in children are: infections, food related (food al...learn more >>
Alcoholism
Alcoholism Alcohol problems vary in severity from mild to life threatening and affect the individual, the person's family, and society in numerous adverse ways. Despite al...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pancreatitis:

Pancreatitis - Diet Prevention

Has changing your diet helped your pancreatitis?

Pancreatitis - Symptoms

The symptoms of pancreatitis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?