Viewer Comments: Pancreatitis - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pancreatitis:

Pancreatitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with pancreatitis.

Comment from: Auntie D, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 20

I have had chronic pancreatitis for seven years. The first year I had to have a very large cyst removed and since then I have gone downhill. About every four to six months I have to have ERCP's (endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatographies) to put in stents in the ducts every six weeks. I have been in chronic pain the whole seven years. I'm having my pancreas removed next year and I can't wait.

Comment from: Joan, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

I was admitted to the hospital with pancreatitis. They did a procedure down my throat and removed a stone. They put in a stent and when they removed the stent a few weeks later, they also removed another stone.

Comment from: Amreesh, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 24

I had this problem. My doctor told me not to drink alcohol. By avoiding alcohol I recovered from pancreatitis, but when I drank again, it came back.

Comment from: Ann, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I have had pancreatitis now for almost two years. I have no gall bladder problems. If I eat anything, in 10 minutes, the gas begins I can't figure out how it can start so fast. I have very frequent bouts of abdominal pain and I have seen multiple doctors in multiple states and I still have no relief. I now know what it is but no help with the pain. I spend a lot of time in bed in a fetal position to help with pain and drink nothing but water and I don't eat when I have pain. I am diabetic now with stage III kidney disease. When it first started, I lost 55 lbs in one month.

Comment from: Schu, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 24

I've had gallbladder removal surgery after experiencing terrible pain. I now have symptoms of pancreatitis that disable me for days at a time.

Comment from: molly, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

I had my gallbladder removed in 2000 and my digestive system has never been the same. I am lactose intolerant and have IBS. Around 2010, I started drinking really heavily due to the loss of my brother-in-law and then my ex-husband. I drank every day from the moment I woke up until I went to sleep. My liver was the first to go and next was my pancreas. I was hospitalized 10 times in 12 months. I almost died the last three times. I have pain every day of my life. I am worried now because I am more prone to pancreatic cancer.

Comment from: lLillie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I woke up with back pain which went around the front, in the area between my rib cage and top of hip bone and it severely progressed by noon. I went to hospital and blood tests and X-rays were done. According to my family doctor, they showed elevated levels indicating pancreatitis. However the E.R. doctor said I had a pulled muscle from coughing so much with a cold I had for almost seven weeks at the time. It was my third visit to hospital in five weeks. I am a caregiver of a spouse with dementia as well as a patient with pancreatitis.

Comment from: bert, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 15

When I had pancreatitis, I had severe pain in my abdomen. I was also belching excessively and I also had a swollen stomach and intense itching in my back.

Comment from: Chris, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: January 15

January 2010, my father of 83, had acute pancreatitis. He got up in the morning and felt some chest pain. Thinking it was his heart, as he has a dissected aorta, he took a nitro spray. It didn't help. He went to the hospital where they took some blood tests which reviewed that he had pancreatitis. He was admitted that night and they gave him oxygen as he was having difficulty breathing and his abdomen was swollen. His breathing got more difficult during the night and they put him on a respirator and heavily sedated him. In the morning he was not responsive due to sedation. His blood was not taking on the IV and his kidneys were starting to fail. They did a CT scan around 4 in the afternoon which revealed that he had an abscess in his pancreas. At this point, there was very little they could do as his major organs were shutting down. His blood pressure continued to drop. He died around 9:45. The onset and deterioration was very quick (36 hours). Due to his age and health condition, there was very little that could be done. We received realistic prognosis and my father was made comfortable and did not suffer. I found this website helpful for knowledge and to understand and pancreatitis.

Must Read Articles Related to Pancreatitis

Abdominal Pain (Adults)
Abdominal Pain in Adults Abdominal pain in adults can range from a mild stomach ache to severe pain. Examples of causes of abdominal pain in adults include learn more >>
Abdominal Pain in Children
Abdominal Pain in Children Abdominal pain in children can range from trivial to life-threatening. Some possible causes of abdominal pain in children are: infections, food related (food al...learn more >>
Alcoholism
Alcoholism Alcohol problems vary in severity from mild to life threatening and affect the individual, the person's family, and society in numerous adverse ways. Despite al...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pancreatitis:

Pancreatitis - Diet Prevention

Has changing your diet helped your pancreatitis?

Pancreatitis - Acute Symptoms

What were your symptoms of acute pancreatitis?

Pancreatitis - Chronic Symptoms

What were your symptoms of chronic pancreatitis?