Viewer Comments: Pancreatitis - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pancreatitis:

Pancreatitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with pancreatitis.

The cause of my pancreatitis is still under investigation. I almost never drink, and both a CT scan and MRI showed no gallstones in the duct (my gall bladder was laparoscopically removed in January). I had previously had several esophageal spasms severe enough to take me to the emergency room. These spasms had been relieved and prevented by dicyclomine, an anticholinergic. This time I had a very tight feeling in my abdomen that wouldn't go away, and that awakened me. My internist had prescribed Donnatal as an alternative to dicyclomine, and I thought the Donnatal was what made me begin to vomit violently and keep retching even when my stomach was emptied. I was taken by ambulance to the hospital and admitted same day. I spent 4 days there and am still on antibiotics (Flagyl & Cipro) to prevent the inflammation from developing into an infection. I am scheduled to see a gastroenterologist for follow-up.

Comment from: Gonz, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 29

Pancreatitis was the worst and most excruciating pain I have ever gone through.

Comment from: Kate, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I had severe abdominal pain. It was agony, really. I was literally begging for help in A&E. I had to wait a few hours then blood tests showed pancreatitis. As soon as they knew what it was, I was given pain relief straight away but I thought I was dying while I was waiting.

Comment from: Auntie D, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 20

I have had chronic pancreatitis for seven years. The first year I had to have a very large cyst removed and since then I have gone downhill. About every four to six months I have to have ERCP's (endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatographies) to put in stents in the ducts every six weeks. I have been in chronic pain the whole seven years. I'm having my pancreas removed next year and I can't wait.

Comment from: Joan, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

I was admitted to the hospital with pancreatitis. They did a procedure down my throat and removed a stone. They put in a stent and when they removed the stent a few weeks later, they also removed another stone.

Comment from: Amreesh, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 24

I had this problem. My doctor told me not to drink alcohol. By avoiding alcohol I recovered from pancreatitis, but when I drank again, it came back.

Comment from: Ann, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I have had pancreatitis now for almost two years. I have no gall bladder problems. If I eat anything, in 10 minutes, the gas begins I can't figure out how it can start so fast. I have very frequent bouts of abdominal pain and I have seen multiple doctors in multiple states and I still have no relief. I now know what it is but no help with the pain. I spend a lot of time in bed in a fetal position to help with pain and drink nothing but water and I don't eat when I have pain. I am diabetic now with stage III kidney disease. When it first started, I lost 55 lbs in one month.

Comment from: Schu, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 24

I've had gallbladder removal surgery after experiencing terrible pain. I now have symptoms of pancreatitis that disable me for days at a time.

Comment from: molly, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

I had my gallbladder removed in 2000 and my digestive system has never been the same. I am lactose intolerant and have IBS. Around 2010, I started drinking really heavily due to the loss of my brother-in-law and then my ex-husband. I drank every day from the moment I woke up until I went to sleep. My liver was the first to go and next was my pancreas. I was hospitalized 10 times in 12 months. I almost died the last three times. I have pain every day of my life. I am worried now because I am more prone to pancreatic cancer.

Comment from: lLillie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I woke up with back pain which went around the front, in the area between my rib cage and top of hip bone and it severely progressed by noon. I went to hospital and blood tests and X-rays were done. According to my family doctor, they showed elevated levels indicating pancreatitis. However the E.R. doctor said I had a pulled muscle from coughing so much with a cold I had for almost seven weeks at the time. It was my third visit to hospital in five weeks. I am a caregiver of a spouse with dementia as well as a patient with pancreatitis.

Must Read Articles Related to Pancreatitis

Abdominal Pain (Adults)
Abdominal Pain in Adults Abdominal pain in adults can range from a mild stomach ache to severe pain. Examples of causes of abdominal pain in adults include learn more >>
Abdominal Pain in Children
Abdominal Pain in Children Abdominal pain in children can range from trivial to life-threatening. Some possible causes of abdominal pain in children are: infections, food related (food al...learn more >>
Alcoholism
Alcoholism Alcohol problems vary in severity from mild to life threatening and affect the individual, the person's family, and society in numerous adverse ways. Signs of a...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pancreatitis:

Pancreatitis - Diet Prevention

Has changing your diet helped your pancreatitis?

Pancreatitis - Acute Symptoms

What were your symptoms of acute pancreatitis?

Pancreatitis - Chronic Symptoms

What were your symptoms of chronic pancreatitis?