Viewer Comments: Pancreatitis - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pancreatitis:

Pancreatitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with pancreatitis.

Comment from: melanie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 11

I felt as if a hot arrow had been shot through me and then an unbearable burning sensation started. I vomited, swelled up, and felt weak and lightheaded, and my breath got very shallow and rapid. My heart was racing. I collapsed and was sent to ER and admitted, they gave me an IV, morphine, and insulin for 4 days.

Comment from: Female (Patient) Published: January 04

I was diagnosed with acute pancreatitis in September of 2009 and was hospitalized for two weeks for treatment. My symptoms started out as abdominal and "gas" pains in the early morning and by the time I got home from work I was vomiting and knew something was wrong. I went to our local Acute Care clinic and they performed blood tests and did an x-ray of my stomach and intestines where they found that I was constipated and had an infection. The doctor recommended I go to the hospital to undergo a CT scan, with results indicating I had acute pancreatitis.

Comment from: Wog, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 29

Our son had a severe attack last Friday - went in to the hospital and I believe was mistreated in all phases of doctoring. First let me explain he is a recovering alcoholic, belongs to AA and religiously attends meetings. He has not had a drink or any substance abuse for over two years. The doctor who first saw him asked him how his pain was on a scale from 1 to 10 and he said nine and a half and he wasn't kidding. He was in severe pain. I believe the doctor looked at his chart, saw that he was an alcoholic and proceeded on that assumption and thus our son received very poor treatment. They tested his blood and urine sample and the doctor's conclusion was to give him an antacid. THIS WAS UNBELIEVABLE!!! He was in severe pain. They wanted him to stay overnight but because he wasn't getting any help for the pain he went home and ended up going back the next day and was confined for two or three days and I have no idea what was done then. I don't think this was proper treatment.

Comment from: Carrie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

My symptoms worsened over a period of 14 hours, and the pain in my upper abdomen and back were so severe that I had to call the ambulance to take me to the ER. I could barely stand up and walk and could not breathe very well and had pressure in my chest and severe sweating. I was diagnosed with acute pancreatitis and was in the hospital for 3 weeks on antibiotics and IV fluids, no food for the first 6 days. I have had a feeding tube for 8 weeks now but just got the OK to eat simple foods like rice and bananas. The doctors could not find any gallstones in my gall bladder but they said my case was so severe that I have to have my gall bladder out when my pancreas has healed completely to prevent a future attack. I am also a diabetic and have switched to insulin injections to control my blood sugar. I have more energy each day and I hope to have the feeding tube out soon. I have lost 20lbs and hope that with the gall bladder surgery, a low fat diet with no alcohol, exercise, and continued weight loss, I never have another attack again.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 29

I have had chronic pancreatitis. I had one attack four years ago and since then, I have had pretty constant pain. I have also had fevers. I have also taken plenty of medications for the pain. It is hard to stay optimistic, especially if the pain lasts for more than two days.

Comment from: bond, 19-24 Male Published: December 07

I had a pancreatic attack two months ago. I was admitted to the Intensive Care Unit (ICU). I had severe pain in my abdomen and in my back. I was in the hospital for 20 days and I was treated with antibiotics.

Comment from: olivia, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I have had upper abdominal tenderness since May 2009. I also have very bad heartburn and when I went to my family doctor, who found that my amylase and lipase levels were sky high and sent me immediately to get a CT scan. They didn't find any major swelling but they did see some fluid around my gall bladder which suggested that there had been some inflammation. My doctor's thought that I just passed a gall stone and that I would be fine. Later on in the summer I went to the ER because the discomfort was still there and my blood levels were still high. I was admitted diagnosed with pancreatitis even though my pancreas looked normal--with my elevated amylase, lipase and pain they kept me in the hospital. I had my gallbladder removed even though the HIDA scan came back normal. It wasn't my gallbladder-I am still having the discomfort, bloating, tenderness & bad heartburn. It's been weighing on me mentally as well, I can't concentrate in school (I'm 21) and I just feel stressed out a lot. I have an appointment with a pancreatic specialist in a couple weeks and I'm hoping he'll find a diagnosis. I don't want to live with this anymore and I don't want to be that 15% of pancreatitis patients who go undiagnosed. The whole thing is extremely frustrating.

Must Read Articles Related to Pancreatitis

Abdominal Pain (Adults)
Abdominal Pain in Adults Abdominal pain in adults can range from a mild stomach ache to severe pain. Examples of causes of abdominal pain in adults include learn more >>
Abdominal Pain in Children
Abdominal Pain in Children Abdominal pain in children can range from trivial to life-threatening. Some possible causes of abdominal pain in children are: infections, food related (food al...learn more >>
Alcoholism
Alcoholism Alcohol problems vary in severity from mild to life threatening and affect the individual, the person's family, and society in numerous adverse ways. Despite al...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pancreatitis:

Pancreatitis - Diet Prevention

Has changing your diet helped your pancreatitis?

Pancreatitis - Acute Symptoms

What were your symptoms of acute pancreatitis?

Pancreatitis - Chronic Symptoms

What were your symptoms of chronic pancreatitis?