Viewer Comments: Pancreatitis - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pancreatitis:

Pancreatitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with pancreatitis.

Comment from: Carrie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

My symptoms worsened over a period of 14 hours, and the pain in my upper abdomen and back were so severe that I had to call the ambulance to take me to the ER. I could barely stand up and walk and could not breathe very well and had pressure in my chest and severe sweating. I was diagnosed with acute pancreatitis and was in the hospital for 3 weeks on antibiotics and IV fluids, no food for the first 6 days. I have had a feeding tube for 8 weeks now but just got the OK to eat simple foods like rice and bananas. The doctors could not find any gallstones in my gall bladder but they said my case was so severe that I have to have my gall bladder out when my pancreas has healed completely to prevent a future attack. I am also a diabetic and have switched to insulin injections to control my blood sugar. I have more energy each day and I hope to have the feeding tube out soon. I have lost 20lbs and hope that with the gall bladder surgery, a low fat diet with no alcohol, exercise, and continued weight loss, I never have another attack again.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 29

I have had chronic pancreatitis. I had one attack four years ago and since then, I have had pretty constant pain. I have also had fevers. I have also taken plenty of medications for the pain. It is hard to stay optimistic, especially if the pain lasts for more than two days.

Comment from: bond, 19-24 Male Published: December 07

I had a pancreatic attack two months ago. I was admitted to the Intensive Care Unit (ICU). I had severe pain in my abdomen and in my back. I was in the hospital for 20 days and I was treated with antibiotics.

Comment from: olivia, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I have had upper abdominal tenderness since May 2009. I also have very bad heartburn and when I went to my family doctor, who found that my amylase and lipase levels were sky high and sent me immediately to get a CT scan. They didn't find any major swelling but they did see some fluid around my gall bladder which suggested that there had been some inflammation. My doctor's thought that I just passed a gall stone and that I would be fine. Later on in the summer I went to the ER because the discomfort was still there and my blood levels were still high. I was admitted diagnosed with pancreatitis even though my pancreas looked normal--with my elevated amylase, lipase and pain they kept me in the hospital. I had my gallbladder removed even though the HIDA scan came back normal. It wasn't my gallbladder-I am still having the discomfort, bloating, tenderness & bad heartburn. It's been weighing on me mentally as well, I can't concentrate in school (I'm 21) and I just feel stressed out a lot. I have an appointment with a pancreatic specialist in a couple weeks and I'm hoping he'll find a diagnosis. I don't want to live with this anymore and I don't want to be that 15% of pancreatitis patients who go undiagnosed. The whole thing is extremely frustrating.

Comment from: mom, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 19

My daughter complained of abdominal pain for a couple of weeks. The doctor requested blood work and an ultrasound but before it was done, she was in so much pain that we got her to urgent care on a Sunday. They did blood work but could not do a ultrasound as they did not have one. So, they sent her home with an appt to have one done the next day. Well the next day, she could not get out of bed, so I called an ambulance. She spent 5 days in hospital on antibiotics, morphine and Percocet. The blood work suggested pancreatitis. She is a teenager and does tend to drink at parties. She is slim to begin with. She was doing better after hospital but got worse. We finally got her back to the doctor who advised her of the low-fat diet, but I can see she needs to go on a liquid diet again. It's been hard on her. She has quit drinking and smoking and she's losing her job because she hasn't the energy to work, but she has a sweet boyfriend. Thank you for your time and attention to this. Love, Mom

Comment from: 55-64 Male Published: November 18

My husband collapsed with severe pain whilst on holiday. 12 weeks later, he developed acute pancreatitis caused by a gallstone. He had surgery to remove two-thirds of his pancreas and lost his battle in the end. He died shortly thereafter. With the 12 weeks he aged 20 years. He lost five stone in weight and had become a very confused and frightened man.

Comment from: Non-Fat Diet, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I had pain and a feeling of tightness stretching across my lower abdomen which got worse over a period of three weeks until it was hard to sit up and get out of bed in the morning. The area around my kidneys was also sore. Poops were always light-colored and sometimes somewhat yellow. I changed my diet, giving up most fatty items and eating way more salads and veggies, and stopped using the estrogen replacement patch, because there seems to be a connection with that and pancreatitis with some people. The non-fat diet, giving up the patch, and giving up all alcohol seem to have done the trick.

Must Read Articles Related to Pancreatitis

Abdominal Pain (Adults)
Abdominal Pain in Adults Abdominal pain in adults can range from a mild stomach ache to severe pain. Examples of causes of abdominal pain in adults include appendicitis, gallbladder dis...learn more >>
Abdominal Pain in Children
Abdominal Pain in Children Abdominal pain in children can range from trivial to life-threatening. Some possible causes of abdominal pain in children are: infections, food related (food al...learn more >>
Alcoholism Alcohol problems vary in severity from mild to life threatening and affect the individual, the person's family, and society in numerous adverse ways. Despite al...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pancreatitis:

Pancreatitis - Chronic Symptoms

What were your symptoms of chronic pancreatitis?

Pancreatitis - Diet Prevention

Has changing your diet helped your pancreatitis?

Pancreatitis - Acute Symptoms

What were your symptoms of acute pancreatitis?