Viewer Comments: Pancreatitis - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pancreatitis:

Pancreatitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with pancreatitis.

Comment from: Angelo, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 19

Since I was 8 years old I had severe stomach cramps. In my teens I developed daily nausea in the morning. For 20 years I had nausea and vomiting especialy in the morning. I have now been diagnosed with chronic pancreatitis. The doctors have ruled out alchohol. I have 8 relatives who also have severe forms of pancreatitis. The pain I experience is mainly in the abdominal area, from my ribs down to the intestines in the form of a football, severe cramping on my back. Since 2005 I have been hospitalized 7 times. Each time is a 3 day stay, no food or liquids including water. Only ice chips to moisten my mouth. This in order to let the pancreas rest and recover itself. I also get pain mangagment and anti-bacterial medication when I have a pancreatic episode and go to the ER.

Comment from: Lisa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I believe that my initial symptom was a low grade fever which only lasted 1-2 hrs each time. I also began having acute attacks of pain near the base of my sternum. Later, I developed pain that was so severe that I went to the ER. A few months later, I was diagnosed with gall stones and pancreatitis. I had my gall bladder removed 3 months ago and last Saturday night, the pain started again and was more severe than the previous attacks.

Comment from: John, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 12

If I drink alcohol, I have severe pain and have to go to the emergency room to get relief. I also get pain when I eat greasy fried chicken from restaurants. I am really confused as to what is going on with my body. One doctor said I have pancreatitis, and others said they see no pancreatitis and don't know what's wrong with me. This has been going for seven years and seems to be getting worse.

Comment from: vic90620, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 07

My father has been in the hospital for 5 months with pancreatitis and he still has pain and throws up all the time. He has CAT scans and tests every week and everything comes back normal. He has been on a feeding tube for 5 months and suction for 5 months. None of the doctors can figure out why it is still going they say its a rare case of pancreatitis but they still have no answers or any thing new to try. They also say that he is the first person who has had it this long with little to no improvements.

Comment from: Vanessa, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I had Acute pancreatitis, but doctors still don't know really why I got it. I started feeling a horrible back and abdominal pain about 2 months I was admitted in a hopsital. I thought it was gastro or something and I continued drinking aclohol sometimes and eating bad food. One day I was in Brazil working and had horrible pain for like 3 days on a row. My urine was red and my skin was yellow. I had a huge belly, I was very sensitive to everything and kept vomiting. I was admitted in the hospital for "hepatitis" and after they did all the exams to me, they realized it was my pancreas. I spent 3 weeks in the hospital, not eating anything, got loads of morphine for the pain and had surgery. Two years later, I'm fine now, but I have not paid attention to my diet and started to feel some pain again. I'm going to start a diet now, and avoid alcohol 100%.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 06

I have had pancreatitis about five times over the past six years. I find when I drink and smoke (four or five drinks over one day's time and about five to 10 cigarettes), which is not my normal intake, I may develop pancreatic pain in the upper abdomen. I take Cipro, which stops the pain almost immediately. I do not have gallstones, and have had my gall bladder and bile ducts tested, which were normal. I still don't know why this happens since I am not an alcohol abuser. I may average a glass of wine daily with more on special occasions, such as a party or wedding. I think the answer is to limit alcohol intake when I am gambling or on vacation. It usually occurs when I am just returning from Vegas.

Comment from: duck, 45-54 Female Published: November 13

Very bad first few times - lifestyle has not changed but no longer in pain - has my pancreas died?

Must Read Articles Related to Pancreatitis

Abdominal Pain (Adults)
Abdominal Pain in Adults Abdominal pain in adults can range from a mild stomach ache to severe pain. Examples of causes of abdominal pain in adults include appendicitis, gallbladder dis...learn more >>
Abdominal Pain in Children
Abdominal Pain in Children Abdominal pain in children can range from trivial to life-threatening. Some possible causes of abdominal pain in children are: infections, food related (food al...learn more >>
Alcoholism
Alcoholism Alcohol problems vary in severity from mild to life threatening and affect the individual, the person's family, and society in numerous adverse ways. Despite al...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pancreatitis:

Pancreatitis - Diet Prevention

Has changing your diet helped your pancreatitis?

Pancreatitis - Symptoms

The symptoms of pancreatitis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?