Viewer Comments: Pancreatitis - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pancreatitis:

Pancreatitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with pancreatitis.

Comment from: Savitri, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

The first time I had severe pain in abdomen and back pain. The treatment also took two days to subside the pain. After 6 days of drip and injectable treatment I was done. Post treatment was a 1 year treatment with pancreoflat medicine and other required medication. CT scan showed no gall stones or related blockages. Now the second time after 3.5 years, I developed pain in my abdomen and reported it in hospital. I was again diagnosed of bulky pancreas and pancreatitis was ruled out. The treatment of clinical symptoms was pancreatitis and after 3 days, I was discharged from hospital with medications.

Comment from: Chipsi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 19

I was diagnosed with pancreatitis in July 2009. I didn't realize what the symptoms were. I had a bad headache for 2 straight weeks and then I started to feel better. But then all of a sudden I started to get pains in the stomach like bad indigestion that wouldn't go away. I was popping Tums like Tic Tacs. Nothing seemed to help and eating made things worse. Finally my husband talked me into going to our doctor. He ran alot of tests. That night I felt so really weak and sick. He had prescribed medication to help but it wasn't helping. I started passing out from the pain. I was so sick the next day, and my husband called the doctor's office that morning. The doctor called back and told me to go straight to the ER. By the time my husband got me there, I passed out getting out of the car. I don't remember much after that but my blood pressure was so low. It was like 65/30. The ER unit told my husband if I had come any later, I would have been dead. I was in the hospital for 5 days and badly dehydrated. The first 3 days I couldn't have anything to eat or drink besides ice chips. The doctor said I had to give the pancreas a rest. I was too sick to eat anyways. I just wanted a drink cause I was so thirsty but I had to make do with just ice chips. The bad thing is that pancreatitis can come back and I am afraid right now because my stomach has started to ache a lot recently.

Comment from: Angelo, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 19

Since I was 8 years old I had severe stomach cramps. In my teens I developed daily nausea in the morning. For 20 years I had nausea and vomiting especialy in the morning. I have now been diagnosed with chronic pancreatitis. The doctors have ruled out alchohol. I have 8 relatives who also have severe forms of pancreatitis. The pain I experience is mainly in the abdominal area, from my ribs down to the intestines in the form of a football, severe cramping on my back. Since 2005 I have been hospitalized 7 times. Each time is a 3 day stay, no food or liquids including water. Only ice chips to moisten my mouth. This in order to let the pancreas rest and recover itself. I also get pain mangagment and anti-bacterial medication when I have a pancreatic episode and go to the ER.

Comment from: Lisa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I believe that my initial symptom was a low grade fever which only lasted 1-2 hrs each time. I also began having acute attacks of pain near the base of my sternum. Later, I developed pain that was so severe that I went to the ER. A few months later, I was diagnosed with gall stones and pancreatitis. I had my gall bladder removed 3 months ago and last Saturday night, the pain started again and was more severe than the previous attacks.

Comment from: John, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 12

If I drink alcohol, I have severe pain and have to go to the emergency room to get relief. I also get pain when I eat greasy fried chicken from restaurants. I am really confused as to what is going on with my body. One doctor said I have pancreatitis, and others said they see no pancreatitis and don't know what's wrong with me. This has been going for seven years and seems to be getting worse.

Comment from: vic90620, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 07

My father has been in the hospital for 5 months with pancreatitis and he still has pain and throws up all the time. He has CAT scans and tests every week and everything comes back normal. He has been on a feeding tube for 5 months and suction for 5 months. None of the doctors can figure out why it is still going they say its a rare case of pancreatitis but they still have no answers or any thing new to try. They also say that he is the first person who has had it this long with little to no improvements.

Must Read Articles Related to Pancreatitis

Abdominal Pain (Adults)
Abdominal Pain in Adults Abdominal pain in adults can range from a mild stomach ache to severe pain. Examples of causes of abdominal pain in adults include appendicitis, gallbladder dis...learn more >>
Abdominal Pain in Children
Abdominal Pain in Children Abdominal pain in children can range from trivial to life-threatening. Some possible causes of abdominal pain in children are: infections, food related (food al...learn more >>
Alcoholism Alcohol problems vary in severity from mild to life threatening and affect the individual, the person's family, and society in numerous adverse ways. Despite al...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pancreatitis:

Pancreatitis - Chronic Symptoms

What were your symptoms of chronic pancreatitis?

Pancreatitis - Diet Prevention

Has changing your diet helped your pancreatitis?

Pancreatitis - Acute Symptoms

What were your symptoms of acute pancreatitis?