Viewer Comments: Pancreatitis - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pancreatitis:

Pancreatitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with pancreatitis.

...
Comment from: Tony, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 23

Had classic symptoms of Pancreatitis Oct/06. My GI specialist admitted me for acute. Severe pain continued with gold colored diarrhea (stains the toilet). Told I had chronic pancreatitis (CP) and prescribed Creon 25 and narcotic for pain. Later prescribed Cholestyramine... secondary benefit is bile reduction. My doctor states that not much can be done. I eat smaller meals and map out washrooms if I need to go out. I used to be a heavy drinker 27 years ago but abstained since. Thought it might of been caused by massive amounts of anti biotics (H-Pylori kits) during a 2 year period but GI specialist did not agree. My motto is, "we can accept the good times... why not then the difficult ones."

Comment from: survivor, 45-54 Female Published: October 09

I had my gall bladder removed in Sept. 2006. Within 2 weeks after that, I began to have the same symptoms as before the gall bladder was removed. I spoke to my surgeon who ordered an ultrasound which was normal showing no stones. The symptoms disappeared for about 2 years. Then I began to have the symptoms again. I spoke again to my surgeon who ordered another ultrasound which was normal and also had a gastroscopy done which was also normal. He then suggested I see my family physician to have my heart checked out since my pain was high in the abdomen just below my breasts in the middle area. My symptoms again disappeared for about six months. On April 28, 2009 I arrived at work and began again having symptoms of the pressure and pain. I spoke to the surgeon again who works in the same facility as I do and he sent me for some blood work. Immediately after having the blood work completed I became quite weak and felt nauseous and had some jaundice. When the surgeon saw me, he immediately admitted me to the hospital assuming I had passed a gall stone. The following day, I had a CT scan done which showed severe pancreatitis. I was kept in hospital for one week. I continued to be very sick with diarrhea, vomiting and unable to look at food much less eat it. I had another CT scan which showed a 15cm pseudocyst. I then had stents put in via scope to drain the cyst. After two weeks, I still could not eat and still had vomiting. Another scan was done which now showed an abscess. I had another scope in order to insert larger stents to drain the abscess. I remained in hospital for about two weeks this time and could do nothing but sleep. I was still not eating much other than liquids. I was finally discharged and I tried to return to work which was the wrong thing to do. I was so tired and had no energy at all. I then decided to take extended time from work to try and recover. I had some blood work completed which showed my sugar was 23.1. I was immediately admitted back to hospital and have been on insulin ever since. I had no idea that inflammation of the pancreas could be so debilitating. I returned to work full time on August 31, 2009 and now feel fantastic. I have lost a total of 70 pounds (which really needed to go) and am maintaining the weight loss. I feel better now that before the pancreatitis. I truly felt that I was going to die. My only fear is that it may recur. Not sure I could ever go through that again.

Comment from: Lucky in Kentucky, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 06

I had gall stones that moved from my gall bladder to my common bile duct. I collapsed at home in May of 2008 and only remember being admitted to our local hospital. I woke up eight days later at Jewish Medical Center in Louisville. It was diagnosed that I had pancreatitis as a result of the gall stone blockage of the bile duct. The stones were removed, and I was home in 12 days. Within 30 days, I had developed pseudocysts on my pancreas. One of them broke and for the next five months, I was in and out of the hospital. I had drainage tubes placed in my side and back to evacuate the fluid from the remaining cysts. I lost more than 110 pounds. I could not even look at food without feeling like I would throw up. I became dehydrated and malnourished and could not walk without assistance. In September of 2008, the doctors inserted a feeding tube and after a month, I began to gain some weight. At the end of October of 2008, I had the feeding tube removed. I began eating a controlled diet, and by mid-November, I was able to return to work on a part-time basis for the first time in six months. By the end of the year, I had regained about 15 pounds of the weight I had lost and was able to work my normal schedule. In March of 2009, I was healthy enough to have my gall bladder removed, which was the root cause of the pancreatits. In the 11 months since my recovery and return to work and normal life, I have gained another 30 pounds. I take a digestive enzyme daily, but aside from that, I have no lingering effects other than the scars from the tube insertion and gall bladder operation. There were days and weeks during my illness I felt certain I would die or at best never be the same. I am careful of my fat intake and by choice, not necessity or doctors' orders, I no longer drink alcohol. I had great doctors and nurses as well as family and friends that helped me through my illness. Without their skill, friendship and encouragement, I'm not certain I could be relating this story today.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 22

My stepfather has been in the hospital for 10 weeks suffering from a chronic pancreatitis attack. It started out like indigestion and then acute stomach pain. They have done bloodwork, CTs, MRIs more tests than I can remember. He has more IV bags hooked up to him and now is in ICU as his body continues to retain fluid. He's on oxygen, sleeps most of the time and has aged plenty not to mention the weight loss. For every thing they try he goes one step forward and two back. The cysts attached to his pancreas are draining and getting smaller but where it is draining to is unknown. Today his kidneys have started to shut down. I could hear it in my mom's voice how scared she really is. I truly hope there's a miracle out there that can help him. I feel helpless as all I can do is watch. He has been smoke and alcohol-free for more than 15 years, and this is his first attack. He just spent his 60th birthday in the hospital.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Pancreatitis

Abdominal Pain (Adults)
Abdominal Pain in Adults Abdominal pain in adults can range from a mild stomach ache to severe pain. Examples of causes of abdominal pain in adults include appendicitis, gallbladder dis...learn more >>
Abdominal Pain in Children
Abdominal Pain in Children Abdominal pain in children can range from trivial to life-threatening. Some possible causes of abdominal pain in children are: infections, food related (food al...learn more >>
Alcoholism
Alcoholism Alcohol problems vary in severity from mild to life threatening and affect the individual, the person's family, and society in numerous adverse ways. Despite al...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pancreatitis:

Pancreatitis - Diet Prevention

Has changing your diet helped your pancreatitis?

Pancreatitis - Symptoms

The symptoms of pancreatitis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?