Viewer Comments: Pancreatitis - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pancreatitis:

Pancreatitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with pancreatitis.

Comment from: livenlearn80, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 11

On 1/15 drove to the emergency room with a 'punched in the gut' feeling. I thought it was an ulcer, bad gas, or gastritis. I had a stomach ache for about two weeks. Just an ache, no other symptoms, except that it was getting more intense after eating or drinking. I was admitted for about a day with mild acute pancreatitis. I had no alcohol and light meals for a week. Gradually I started drinking again more like before. Six months went by with minor flare-ups. Almost six months to the day, I was crippled on the floor with severe pain, nausea, I was very pale and weak with a weak pulse and low blood pressure, and sweating like crazy. I was taken by ambulance to the hospital, and diagnosed with acute pancreatitis. I stayed in the hospital for 3 days. I never had alcohol since. As selfish as this sounds, I am annoyed that I can't and shouldn't drink anymore, but at the same time, I fully understand why. I'd much rather stay alive and be happy then roll the dice by drinking and suffering from another attack, which would probably be way worse than the last time. When I was in the hospital the last time, my lipase level was up to 13,500 when I was admitted. When I was released, the nurse said to me, 'If you ever feel like drinking again, picture yourself feeling like you just got punched hard in the gut'. To date, I am healthy, eating normally, and not drinking alcohol. It's a change for me, but a good change.

Comment from: 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 17

I always have had pain in the left side of my stomach I have been to doctors about, and they said it was nothing. Then after 2 years of having it on and off, I got it in the stomach and back I went to the hospital; it was pancreatitis. I was released from hospital, then checked up the gallbladder and had it removed, but I still got pain and another 4 bouts of pancreatitis. I have been off alcohol for almost a year, but I am still getting pain and trying to find out what it is. There is a procedure they can do but they don't want to do it as of yet. This pain has caused me a lot of trouble, meaning, being sad and down a lot plus stress and worry.

Comment from: Valerie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 09

I had gallstones and one moved into the bile duct. I went into hospital for a day procedure to have an ERCP (endoscopic retrograde cholangio-pancreatography) but they failed to remove the stone so the doctor put in a stent. However at about 4 pm in the afternoon I had really severe pain, so severe they thought my bowel had been ruptured. I was x-rayed and after that I don't remember anything for 2 days. I was obviously admitted to hospital. I was diagnosed with acute and severe pancreatitis. My lungs filled with fluid and I was very ill and would have been in intensive care but there was no bed. I was given oxygen, antibiotic and fluids. Nausea, pain, sweating, high temperatures and swelling continued and with continual hospital treatment I had one step forward and 2 steps back. I was then transferred to a specialist hospital in Belfast where I was tube-fed down the nose for 7 weeks. I was very ill at times and didn't really want to continue living many times. I would be on antibiotics, fluid drip, morphine pain relief - a high dose of this in the end; sweating and nausea all continued. I had scans every week as there was a collection around my pancreas. I was in hospital a total of 11 weeks and then I started to recover enough to get home. I returned to hospital 6 weeks later and had my gall bladder removed and stones from my bile duct and the stent removed. It is now 2 months since the surgery and I still have very little energy and the consultant says it will be at least 6 months from surgery until I start to feel my normal self. It's very frustrating.

Comment from: Tony, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 23

Had classic symptoms of Pancreatitis Oct/06. My GI specialist admitted me for acute. Severe pain continued with gold colored diarrhea (stains the toilet). Told I had chronic pancreatitis (CP) and prescribed Creon 25 and narcotic for pain. Later prescribed Cholestyramine... secondary benefit is bile reduction. My doctor states that not much can be done. I eat smaller meals and map out washrooms if I need to go out. I used to be a heavy drinker 27 years ago but abstained since. Thought it might of been caused by massive amounts of anti biotics (H-Pylori kits) during a 2 year period but GI specialist did not agree. My motto is, "we can accept the good times... why not then the difficult ones."

Comment from: survivor, 45-54 Female Published: October 09

I had my gall bladder removed in Sept. 2006. Within 2 weeks after that, I began to have the same symptoms as before the gall bladder was removed. I spoke to my surgeon who ordered an ultrasound which was normal showing no stones. The symptoms disappeared for about 2 years. Then I began to have the symptoms again. I spoke again to my surgeon who ordered another ultrasound which was normal and also had a gastroscopy done which was also normal. He then suggested I see my family physician to have my heart checked out since my pain was high in the abdomen just below my breasts in the middle area. My symptoms again disappeared for about six months. On April 28, 2009 I arrived at work and began again having symptoms of the pressure and pain. I spoke to the surgeon again who works in the same facility as I do and he sent me for some blood work. Immediately after having the blood work completed I became quite weak and felt nauseous and had some jaundice. When the surgeon saw me, he immediately admitted me to the hospital assuming I had passed a gall stone. The following day, I had a CT scan done which showed severe pancreatitis. I was kept in hospital for one week. I continued to be very sick with diarrhea, vomiting and unable to look at food much less eat it. I had another CT scan which showed a 15cm pseudocyst. I then had stents put in via scope to drain the cyst. After two weeks, I still could not eat and still had vomiting. Another scan was done which now showed an abscess. I had another scope in order to insert larger stents to drain the abscess. I remained in hospital for about two weeks this time and could do nothing but sleep. I was still not eating much other than liquids. I was finally discharged and I tried to return to work which was the wrong thing to do. I was so tired and had no energy at all. I then decided to take extended time from work to try and recover. I had some blood work completed which showed my sugar was 23.1. I was immediately admitted back to hospital and have been on insulin ever since. I had no idea that inflammation of the pancreas could be so debilitating. I returned to work full time on August 31, 2009 and now feel fantastic. I have lost a total of 70 pounds (which really needed to go) and am maintaining the weight loss. I feel better now that before the pancreatitis. I truly felt that I was going to die. My only fear is that it may recur. Not sure I could ever go through that again.

Must Read Articles Related to Pancreatitis

Abdominal Pain (Adults)
Abdominal Pain in Adults Abdominal pain in adults can range from a mild stomach ache to severe pain. Examples of causes of abdominal pain in adults include appendicitis, gallbladder dis...learn more >>
Abdominal Pain in Children
Abdominal Pain in Children Abdominal pain in children can range from trivial to life-threatening. Some possible causes of abdominal pain in children are: infections, food related (food al...learn more >>
Alcoholism Alcohol problems vary in severity from mild to life threatening and affect the individual, the person's family, and society in numerous adverse ways. Despite al...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pancreatitis:

Pancreatitis - Chronic Symptoms

What were your symptoms of chronic pancreatitis?

Pancreatitis - Diet Prevention

Has changing your diet helped your pancreatitis?

Pancreatitis - Acute Symptoms

What were your symptoms of acute pancreatitis?