Viewer Comments: Pancreatitis - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pancreatitis:

Pancreatitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with pancreatitis.

...
Comment from: PAB, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: April 01

I suddenly lost 20 pounds in 30 days during a continuous episode of diarrhea. Doctors focused on colon issues for 9 months even though CAT scans showed a damaged pancreas. No diagnosis issued and I became sicker. Doctors became disgusted with me. I don't drink alcohol. Finally, I received help via other doctors with the expensive drug Creon! Allows reasonably normal diet. This drug should be mentioned in the discussions on the website.

Comment from: J Rivera, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: January 12

I have being suffering from pancreatitis since 2010, I remember the pain was constant and increasing. With time the pain was on my back and everywhere. I stayed in the hospital for a week but in a short time I returned to the hospital because pain was uncontrollable, so I got a surgery in my gall bladder because of the stones. Therefore, I have been more than 9 times in the hospital. The only problem when I appear in the hospitals I need more dosage for the pain. Also I experienced several pancreatitis attacks but hospitals are very expensive so the only thing I do is stay at my house drinking lots of water without food until the pancreas rest. And sometimes pain killers are not good enough for the pancreas. The doctors are very surprised how I am still alive without any surgery in the pancreas. The hardest thing is to stop drinking wine or any liquor, sometimes I drink and nothing happens so I feel confident but later I know that I would wake up the tiger that is sleeping (pancreas). Then I am worried about how everything will result after many times.

Comment from: livenlearn80, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 11

On 1/15 drove to the emergency room with a 'punched in the gut' feeling. I thought it was an ulcer, bad gas, or gastritis. I had a stomach ache for about two weeks. Just an ache, no other symptoms, except that it was getting more intense after eating or drinking. I was admitted for about a day with mild acute pancreatitis. I had no alcohol and light meals for a week. Gradually I started drinking again more like before. Six months went by with minor flare-ups. Almost six months to the day, I was crippled on the floor with severe pain, nausea, I was very pale and weak with a weak pulse and low blood pressure, and sweating like crazy. I was taken by ambulance to the hospital, and diagnosed with acute pancreatitis. I stayed in the hospital for 3 days. I never had alcohol since. As selfish as this sounds, I am annoyed that I can't and shouldn't drink anymore, but at the same time, I fully understand why. I'd much rather stay alive and be happy then roll the dice by drinking and suffering from another attack, which would probably be way worse than the last time. When I was in the hospital the last time, my lipase level was up to 13,500 when I was admitted. When I was released, the nurse said to me, 'If you ever feel like drinking again, picture yourself feeling like you just got punched hard in the gut'. To date, I am healthy, eating normally, and not drinking alcohol. It's a change for me, but a good change.

Comment from: 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 17

I always have had pain in the left side of my stomach I have been to doctors about, and they said it was nothing. Then after 2 years of having it on and off, I got it in the stomach and back I went to the hospital; it was pancreatitis. I was released from hospital, then checked up the gallbladder and had it removed, but I still got pain and another 4 bouts of pancreatitis. I have been off alcohol for almost a year, but I am still getting pain and trying to find out what it is. There is a procedure they can do but they don't want to do it as of yet. This pain has caused me a lot of trouble, meaning, being sad and down a lot plus stress and worry.

Comment from: Valerie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 09

I had gallstones and one moved into the bile duct. I went into hospital for a day procedure to have an ERCP (endoscopic retrograde cholangio-pancreatography) but they failed to remove the stone so the doctor put in a stent. However at about 4 pm in the afternoon I had really severe pain, so severe they thought my bowel had been ruptured. I was x-rayed and after that I don't remember anything for 2 days. I was obviously admitted to hospital. I was diagnosed with acute and severe pancreatitis. My lungs filled with fluid and I was very ill and would have been in intensive care but there was no bed. I was given oxygen, antibiotic and fluids. Nausea, pain, sweating, high temperatures and swelling continued and with continual hospital treatment I had one step forward and 2 steps back. I was then transferred to a specialist hospital in Belfast where I was tube-fed down the nose for 7 weeks. I was very ill at times and didn't really want to continue living many times. I would be on antibiotics, fluid drip, morphine pain relief - a high dose of this in the end; sweating and nausea all continued. I had scans every week as there was a collection around my pancreas. I was in hospital a total of 11 weeks and then I started to recover enough to get home. I returned to hospital 6 weeks later and had my gall bladder removed and stones from my bile duct and the stent removed. It is now 2 months since the surgery and I still have very little energy and the consultant says it will be at least 6 months from surgery until I start to feel my normal self. It's very frustrating.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Pancreatitis

Abdominal Pain (Adults)
Abdominal Pain in Adults Abdominal pain in adults can range from a mild stomach ache to severe pain. Examples of causes of abdominal pain in adults include learn more >>
Abdominal Pain in Children
Abdominal Pain in Children Abdominal pain in children can range from trivial to life-threatening. Some possible causes of abdominal pain in children are: infections, food related (food al...learn more >>
Alcoholism
Alcoholism Alcohol problems vary in severity from mild to life threatening and affect the individual, the person's family, and society in numerous adverse ways. Signs of a...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pancreatitis:

Pancreatitis - Chronic Symptoms

What were your symptoms of chronic pancreatitis?

Pancreatitis - Diet Prevention

Has changing your diet helped your pancreatitis?

Pancreatitis - Acute Symptoms

What were your symptoms of acute pancreatitis?