Viewer Comments: Pancreatitis - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pancreatitis:

Pancreatitis - Symptoms

The symptoms of pancreatitis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: Carol, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

It has been a long road, about 25 years of symptoms. Started out as pain and tenderness below sternum area. Said I had chronic gastritis. Had severe constipation. Could only eat small meals and felt full for a very long time. Had severe bloating. Symptoms progressively got worse over the years. Began having horrible nausea, epigrastic and right flank pain after eating. A Hida scan showed gallbladder functioning at only 8% and said probable sphincter of oddie dysfunction. Had gall bladder out Jan 2010.The doc told me this would cure me. One month later still had same symptoms, only more severe. I kept telling my doc, I thought it was my pancreas. My blood sugar might run 60 one hour after eating or it might be 160 three hours after eating. I kept complaining to my doctors. They did CTs, MRIs, MRCP, US, blood work didn't show any increases in pancreatic enzymes and all scans showed up clear. I finally got my doc to refer me to a specialist about having an ERCP done in Louisville. He did an endoscopic US of the pancreas and it showed pancreas divism (birth defect with pancreas having two ducts instead of one ). It also showed five out of nine criteria for chronic pancreatitis. He tried a large dose of Pancreas enzymes which I could not tolerate. He was not in any hurry to do an ERCP because of my deformed pancreas. When I could no longer tolerate the nausea and pain, I went back. I had the ERCP on July 21, 2011.He put a stent in the pancreas and the common bile duct. I was in the hospital for 2 1/2 days and had 5 days of horrible spasm type abdominal pain He said my pancreas is very inflamed. They called today and want to do another ERCP in 3 weeks, not understanding this since they told me the stents would be taken out in two months. One thing to note: when I would eat, it would set off a series of symptoms like my heart pounding and beating fast, chest pressure, abdominal and flank pain and severe headache. These were caused by the pancreatitis stimulating the vagal nerve. The docs really need to listen to what the patient says and not rely so heavily on labs and first line tests. I was misdiagnosed and undiagnosed for so long that my pancreas is probably permanently damaged and will never recover well. Be your own health advocate. Never give up if you feel something is being missed with your health.

Comment from: Brooke, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 24

I woke up feeling as if I inhaled 20 gallons of air. I was so bloated. I had pain across my stomach and under my rib cage. I went to the hospital about 5 hours later. By the time I got there the pain had increased so much I could hardly walk, my pancreatic enzymes were 450 and by the following night 5000. After 8 days I came home and because I was a drinker craved candy as I did not know the booze I drank every day was full of sugar and my body craved it.

Comment from: Amber, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

Diarrhea, headaches, hiccups, pain in abdomen, back, shoulder, chest, nausea, internal bleeding, fever, dizziness, fatigue, irritability, confusion, skin rash, difficulty breathing, anxiety, inability to eat, malabsorption, elevated lipase levels, gallbladder ejection fraction of 14%, and internal abdominal scar tissue

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

Started with an ache in my upper right back that I thought was related to exercise. I had a slightly fattier than normal breakfast including one strip of bacon. Afterwards I felt like there was something wrong with the food and the bacon seemed to be "stuck" in my stomach. That evening and the next day I had abdominal tenderness just under my center rib cage and over to the right side. No pain on the left side at all. I did not have nausea but had no interest in food so did not eat anything. I went into the hospital for 5 days and lost 10lbs.

Comment from: Satish, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 31

I have been suffering since 2006 till date have regular attacks of a pain in my stomach and was diagnosed with pancreatitis. The frequency of attack is once in two months now and was a bit higher previously. The cause for the pain couldn't. E ruled out. I observed that having too spicy food irritates my pancreas and also stopped talking fatty foods as well. The pain starts at times with slow and mild increase and sometimes as a severe pain all of a sudden. I have stopped even visiting docs as they couldn't rule out the root cause and have been suffering since ages. The pain lasts up to five days and decreases slowly by radiating to the back. It normally takes one week for me to recover and be normal.

Must Read Articles Related to Pancreatitis

Abdominal Pain (Adults)
Abdominal Pain in Adults Abdominal pain in adults can range from a mild stomach ache to severe pain. Examples of causes of abdominal pain in adults include appendicitis, gallbladder dis...learn more >>
Abdominal Pain in Children
Abdominal Pain in Children Abdominal pain in children can range from trivial to life-threatening. Some possible causes of abdominal pain in children are: infections, food related (food al...learn more >>
Alcoholism
Alcoholism Alcohol problems vary in severity from mild to life threatening and affect the individual, the person's family, and society in numerous adverse ways. Despite al...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pancreatitis:

Pancreatitis - Diet Prevention

Has changing your diet helped your pancreatitis?

Pancreatitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with pancreatitis.