Viewer Comments: Pancreatitis - Acute Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pancreatitis:

Pancreatitis - Acute Symptoms

What were your symptoms of acute pancreatitis?

Comment from: Selina, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

My pancreatitis symptoms started suddenly. I got horrible pain in the center of my stomach and radiating around to my back. It felt like hot fingernails clawing me. It was worse than giving birth to all three of my children! I also had a lot of nausea and diarrhea, so I thought it was my irritable bowel. I ended up have a couple if endoscopies in which the doctor couldn't find anything. Finally one day, I had an attack and passed out on the toilet from the pain! Every time I had an attack, I would get blood red from my breast to the tip of my head, and the palms of my hands, and the soles of my feet would burn. I would get short of breath and feel like I was dying! I've even told my family goodbye because I couldn't imagine having that much pain and living through it! Emergency medical technicians came and took me to the hospital and I asked for a different gastroenterologist. Thank goodness I did, because he found I had pancreatitis and that my duct leading into the pancreas was too small and needed to be stretched and a stent put in. I lost 40 lb. in a month and a half! People couldn't believe I recovered so quickly!

Comment from: lazer, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 11

I first got pancreatitis on a business trip. My family always had gastrointestinal (GI) issues so I thought I just had to ride it out, and it ended up so bad I had to go to an emergency room (ER). My symptoms were achy, queasy sensation on top of the gut just under the chest and all the way from left to right, not extremely intense but very bothersome and worrisome, intensifying after eating or drinking anything, even water, very gassy out of both ends with a taste like popcorn that just went bad, a constant desire to urinate or move your bowels even if there is nothing there like as if I had kidney stones, and constant light nausea that will intensify periodically. I am not sure if I was told this in the clinic or read it or both, but heard that some less urgent cases could be solved by dilating the GI tract which could be done by intensively bearing down on the toilet or inducing vomiting, and it has worked personally on a few occasions but not always.

Comment from: Carol, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

It has been a long road, about 25 years of symptoms. Started out as pain and tenderness below sternum area. Said I had chronic gastritis. Had severe constipation. Could only eat small meals and felt full for a very long time. Had severe bloating. Symptoms progressively got worse over the years. Began having horrible nausea, epigrastic and right flank pain after eating. A Hida scan showed gallbladder functioning at only 8% and said probable sphincter of oddie dysfunction. Had gall bladder out Jan 2010.The doc told me this would cure me. One month later still had same symptoms, only more severe. I kept telling my doc, I thought it was my pancreas. My blood sugar might run 60 one hour after eating or it might be 160 three hours after eating. I kept complaining to my doctors. They did CTs, MRIs, MRCP, US, blood work didn't show any increases in pancreatic enzymes and all scans showed up clear. I finally got my doc to refer me to a specialist about having an ERCP done in Louisville. He did an endoscopic US of the pancreas and it showed pancreas divism (birth defect with pancreas having two ducts instead of one ). It also showed five out of nine criteria for chronic pancreatitis. He tried a large dose of Pancreas enzymes which I could not tolerate. He was not in any hurry to do an ERCP because of my deformed pancreas. When I could no longer tolerate the nausea and pain, I went back. I had the ERCP on July 21, 2011.He put a stent in the pancreas and the common bile duct. I was in the hospital for 2 1/2 days and had 5 days of horrible spasm type abdominal pain He said my pancreas is very inflamed. They called today and want to do another ERCP in 3 weeks, not understanding this since they told me the stents would be taken out in two months. One thing to note: when I would eat, it would set off a series of symptoms like my heart pounding and beating fast, chest pressure, abdominal and flank pain and severe headache. These were caused by the pancreatitis stimulating the vagal nerve. The docs really need to listen to what the patient says and not rely so heavily on labs and first line tests. I was misdiagnosed and undiagnosed for so long that my pancreas is probably permanently damaged and will never recover well. Be your own health advocate. Never give up if you feel something is being missed with your health.

Comment from: irene, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 19

I do not drink, I have the occasional (very occasional) glass of wine. My last pancreatitis attack was severe and I had no alcohol for 5 weeks. It was sudden and severe. I am careful what I eat. I developed pain in my abdomen so I cut out food that day, only drinking water. It did not help and the pain got worse. This is the 4th day now, and I am no better. I suspect that tea triggers an onset.

Comment from: womandranktoomuch, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 07

I drink too much. A few years ago I had a painful bout of pancreatitis that put me in the hospital for a few days. After that, I tried to stop drinking, and succeeded for a few months. Now I'm back to square one. I'm not in the hospital yet, just sitting at work in a lot of pain. I'm going to try to drink broth, etc., before going to the hospital. Time to stop drinking for good.

Must Read Articles Related to Pancreatitis

Abdominal Pain (Adults)
Abdominal Pain in Adults Abdominal pain in adults can range from a mild stomach ache to severe pain. Examples of causes of abdominal pain in adults include appendicitis, gallbladder dis...learn more >>
Abdominal Pain in Children
Abdominal Pain in Children Abdominal pain in children can range from trivial to life-threatening. Some possible causes of abdominal pain in children are: infections, food related (food al...learn more >>
Alcoholism Alcohol problems vary in severity from mild to life threatening and affect the individual, the person's family, and society in numerous adverse ways. Despite al...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pancreatitis:

Pancreatitis - Chronic Symptoms

What were your symptoms of chronic pancreatitis?

Pancreatitis - Diet Prevention

Has changing your diet helped your pancreatitis?

Pancreatitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with pancreatitis.