Viewer Comments: Panic Attacks - Effective Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Panic Attacks:

Panic Attacks - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your panic attacks?

Comment from: michael, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 22

I had my first panic attack in about a year ago. I take Xanax 3 times a day.

Comment from: Lorna., 35-44 Female Published: November 12

I am a 43 year old single mum. I had my first panic attack 3 days ago. I was driving when it started. I felt weird and my breathing was erratic. I got home and the symptoms got worse. I was shaking badly and finding it very hard to breathe. I did use a bag, but it got worse. It was a terrifying experience as my two children were present. A neighbour took me to the doctor. I thought I was dying. It lasted about an hour. I looked up this site to be better informed in case of future attacks.

Comment from: Alan, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 28

I have suffered anxiety and frequent panic attacks for years steadily getting more severe and frequent. Two years ago I was prescribed fluoxetine (Prozac) 20 mg. I just take one every day and I haven't had a panic attack since seriously.

Comment from: chmbrs, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 30

I suffered extreme attacks and researched what I could do when suffering an attack that affected my breathing rapidly out of control. The greatest achievement came from finding that singing was rhythmic and helped control the intake and exhale in a way that would slowly get me thru the attacks better than any medication possible could. So now what do I sing? Try jingle bells and you will find yourself having to breath just to get the next verse out!

Published: March 08

My son has suffered with a drug addiction for years and now finally walked on his own to a drug rehab program. After the worst is over, they had him leave. He does go to meetings but now he is going through panic attacks, and can't leave his home.

Comment from: Irina, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

Around the time when my mom got diagnosed with the colon cancer I started experiencing a lot of anxiety. I couldn't understand it at all in the beginning. I felt tightness in my neck and the back of my head, sweaty hands and feet, feeling like not being in the world but somewhere else. The doctor has prescribed Xanax and anti-depressants. I refused to go on antidepressants and instead started working out a lot and doing yoga five times a week. The symptoms had gone slowly away. Unfortunately, recently I had a full blown panic attack out of the blue. I felt dizzy, trouble breathing, disoriented, numbness in my hands and feet, urgency to urinate and those awful body shakes that started in my legs and have traveled all the way to my face. The worst of it all I felt very scared and like I couldn't control my body. My heart goes out to all the people who have had experienced these kind of symptoms. What helps me during my panic attack is taking my Xanax immediately, take deep breaths, concentrating only on breathing in and out, trying to block every other thought from my head and maintaining a healthy diet and exercise.

Comment from: tvetitoe, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I used to have panic attacks when I was in my 20's. Tunnels and bridges were unknown to me. The stress of trying to get home on time and the rude and unexpected driving habits of the big city drivers started it. It went away after a time, but now I'm 51 and they are back and worse than ever. It's not just when I drive anymore. I have to close my eyes all the time when my husband drives. I see a curve in the road, and think he's going too fast, and my heart goes cold. I'm afraid to drive anywhere in traffic and the simple thought of it makes it hard to breath and my hands go numb.

Comment from: (Patient) Published: July 14

I take Ativan for panic attacks. It works quickly for me.

Comment from: always me, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I have struggled with panic attacks for 17 years. The first couple were bad but I started on Effexor and learned how to control my breathing and way of thought. I still have to take Ativan when I can't control my thoughts, but am getting better everyday. I take time just for myself and look in the mirror and tell myself today is a good day and you can and will go out into the world today and have a wonderful time and just remember to breathe.

Must Read Articles Related to Panic Attacks

Anxiety
Anxiety Anxiety is a feeling of apprehension, fear, or worry. Some fears and worries are justified, such as worry about a loved one. Anxiety may occur without a cause, ...learn more >>
Hyperventilation
Hyperventilation Hyperventilation syndrome is a condition where a person hyperventilates for an unknown cause. Symptoms of hyperventilation syndrome include bloating, burping, p...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Panic Attacks:

Panic Attack - Symptoms

What are your panic attack symptoms?