Viewer Comments: Panic Attacks - Effective Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Panic Attacks:

Panic Attacks - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your panic attacks?

Comment from: (Patient) Published: July 14

I take Ativan for panic attacks. It works quickly for me.

Comment from: always me, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I have struggled with panic attacks for 17 years. The first couple were bad but I started on Effexor and learned how to control my breathing and way of thought. I still have to take Ativan when I can't control my thoughts, but am getting better everyday. I take time just for myself and look in the mirror and tell myself today is a good day and you can and will go out into the world today and have a wonderful time and just remember to breathe.

Comment from: somePanic, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: October 04

My Panic Attacks started at age 18. I was driving to class and, when over a slight hill, the left side of my body went numb, vision went dark, and felt like I wasn't breathing. Now, my throat and face will almost always go numb, my hands tremble, and my pulse accelerates. The sensation, for me, has always been a huge amount of adrenaline when I do not want nor need it. After seeing several doctors and given a clean bill of health, I was prescribed Ativan to get over the initial symptoms. When the symptoms persisted, medication increased. Soon, I was on Zyprexa, Klonopin, Ativan, and Adderal. I no longer had symptoms with benzodiazepines; however, the amount I needed to combat the panic was substantial enough that I couldn't focus. My limited success comes from living by a relatively strict schedule, avoiding alcohol, and controlling my breathing. Hyperventilating always caused the worst symptoms for me. For someone else, I would recommend avoiding benzodiazepines and attempt to focus during panic attack. The trick to navigating it is to not develop phobias where they didn't exist before.

Comment from: LindaNZ, 65-74 (Patient) Published: August 04

I suffered panic disorder with daily panic attacks for over 20 years. I thought I had heart disease and took many heart meds with very negative results. My doctor tried Prozac and it proved very effective and gave me my life back. There have been no side effects that I am aware of other than a very healthy appetite. I am so very thankful for Prozac. Before taking Prozac, I reached a stage where I could not function at all. Agoraphobia kept me from driving and I dreaded any situation where I was in public. I now take a generic form of Prozac with the same good results.

Comment from: Elizabeth, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I have panic disorder and I have been in long-term therapy. I also take medicines for my case. Support of a loved one is necessary and help from a psychiatrist is also necessary. Support groups also help. I had to adopt the attitude that I will not accept this, and now I am now able to lead a normal life.

Comment from: brit1988, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I have had panic attacks for the past 4 years. About a year ago they stopped and they came back about a month ago. I almost lost my job because of them. I hate having panic attacks and I get so mad at myself for letting them happen but I can't control them. My son is 3 and he watches me have them and I'm scared that he will grow up and have them. I'm supposed to be seeing a therapist in about a week so I really hope that it helps me.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 15

I suffered from panic attacks for more than five years but I have not had one now for more than three years. Why they came and why they left are a mystery. I did go through cognitive behavioral therapy to learn to interrupt the cycle and that did help me manage the attacks. If you have them, have hope. They can go away completely like they did for me.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 05

My partner gets panic attacks, and when I get close enough to him I apply pressure to the centre of the nape of his neck (near the base of his skull). I don't know if it's a nerve or just his own sensitive spot, but it helps him a little as he tries to get his breathing under control.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 04

I started having panic attacks about 30 years ago in my 20's. I believe they are from the child abuse and domestic violence I experienced. I have had long periods of time (years) without any panic attacks. When I have a major life experience happen in my life, the panic attacks return. The treatments that have helped me are years and years of talk therapy, journaling, medication when necessary, learning ways to make my body relax, and calming down.

Must Read Articles Related to Panic Attacks

Hyperventilation Hyperventilation syndrome is a condition where a person hyperventilates for an unknown cause. Symptoms of hyperventilation syndrome include bloating, burping, p...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Panic Attacks:

Panic Attack - Symptoms

What are your panic attack symptoms?