Viewer Comments: Panic Attacks - Effective Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Panic Attacks:

Panic Attacks - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your panic attacks?

Comment from: Gillowens1, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I have suffered panic attacks since 1986 and have never been able to find the cause of them. I checked with all family members and not one member has ever suffered from them. My attacks began late at night whilst in bed reading. I suddenly felt I could not breathe. This episode was followed by a pins and needles sensation all over my body and including my face, and I also felt numbness to the tongue. This caused me to fear for my life and I did not know what to do. My husband tried to calm me down, which took almost thirty minutes. After almost 2 years of different treatment I was both physically and mentally exhausted to the point I would have welcomed death as I felt I could not go on like this, then one night while visiting my sister I suffered a real bad attack and she sent for a doctor. This was a turning point and after attending therapy for almost 2 years and on long term medication, my attacks where brought under control.

Comment from: ashmatz, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I just started having panic attacks a little over a year ago and I am still adjusting to them. The mere thought of going into work will set them off so I HAVE to take Xanax every morning before I even leave my house so I don't have one on the way to work. If I don't take my Xanax every day I become very emotionally depressed and feel like my heart is racing. I'm afraid I am getting addicted to it but I can't go off of it without getting panic attacks.

Comment from: thatvoodoothatido, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

Three years ago I began suffering from panic attacks with no known cause. I was treated with every medication known to modern medicine with no relief. Anyway, I finally spoke with my PCP about it, as opposed to my therapist, and she ran my labs. All was well with the exception of my Vitamin D level. It was a 2. A long story short, within one day, I was cured! 150,000 units of Vitamin D weekly and I'm cured!

Comment from: j, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I started having panic attacks about 4 years ago. I took up yoga and practiced the 7/11 breathing technique, and saw a steady decrease in both the attacks and general anxiety. Although I still have periods of increased anxiety, the yoga and breathing mean that I can return to [relative!]calmness.

Comment from: guest, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

Panic attacks are very frightening. One thing I noted is that cool air helps during an attack. No idea why but it just does. Also when I was a kid I had a lot of stress and I struggled with sleep which I think is another side effect from panic attacks so I'd often sleep with a fan which once again calmed my nerves.

Must Read Articles Related to Panic Attacks

Anxiety
Anxiety Anxiety is a feeling of apprehension, fear, or worry. Some fears and worries are justified, such as worry about a loved one. Anxiety may occur without a cause, ...learn more >>
Hyperventilation
Hyperventilation Hyperventilation syndrome is a condition where a person hyperventilates for an unknown cause. Symptoms of hyperventilation syndrome include bloating, burping, p...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Panic Attacks:

Panic Attack - Symptoms

What are your panic attack symptoms?