Viewer Comments: Panic Attack - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Panic Attacks:

Panic Attack - Symptoms

What are your panic attack symptoms?

Comment from: 35-44 Female Published: June 28

When I get panic attacks, I get pins and needles all over my body and I feel like I can't breathe.

Comment from: wayne, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 09

With my panic attacks, I get a feeling of numbness in my hands arms and face with a really lightheaded, faint feeling. My ears pop and I feel as though I can't hear. I also get a rapid, strange heart beat and the feeling that I am dying or that there is impending doom.

Comment from: tabbi, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 25

I feel very lightheaded, my legs and arms feel like Jello, and I have to go to the bathroom 3-5 times during a panic attack. I often feel like I'm going to pass out, crying.

Comment from: Rosie, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 16

My husband has PTSD due to Vietnam. The V.A. has been testing his heart due to times of extreme sweating and shaking and shortness of breath. I am by no means a Dr. but since they have found nothing so far, I feel this may be panic attacks. He seems to do this worse if he is away from me. I can't get away from him and he won't go anywhere without me. I am so confused.

Comment from: jeff, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 02

I've had panic attacks for years. It felt like a crushing weight on my chest, and the feeling of being out of control. I would suffer for hours or even days from one bout to another. The slightest provocation could easily cause a long chain of panic attacks. Not long ago, the tightness in my chest has moved upward into my throat. I still have trouble eating. I eat "half size" bites, and I still choke frequently. Lying down makes things worse. I nearly panicked one time as I couldn't breathe for nearly a minute, while I was choking during meal time. I scrambled about until I could find a drink of water to help clear the blockage. I live with chronic tightness in my chest and maybe tightness around my heart. Yes, it is a bit scary, especially since I live alone.

Comment from: Jay, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 22

I am a 37 year old male and I suffer from panic attacks. I never really understood what they were until I began to research about them. I remember when I was younger being scared and having the acid from my stomach come back into my mouth. I would also get nervous very easy and often had sweaty hands. About 2 years ago I began experiencing severe attacks. These always happen at night, never during the day. I will first wake up because of shortness of breath or chest pains. This is then followed by an upset stomach and shaking. In my last episode my entire body went numb and tingly including my face. Once I am able to calm down, my body still tingles for hours afterwards. The numbness I used to think was because I wasn't breathing properly and I wasn't getting the oxygen. I now know that's impossible since my breathing is so rapid and deep that I might be breathing too much. I try very hard to stop them and stay calm, but it's not easy. I have had some attacks following some stress...maybe a day or two later and the odd one immediately after experiencing stress. I find myself avoiding those situations in which cause me problems.

Comment from: philly215, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

When I have a panic attack, my heart rate is fast and my body trembles.

Comment from: Mike, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 08

When I have panic attacks, sometimes they are preceded by a scenario thought of being put into or trapped in a confined place. If I cannot distract this thought or ease out by realizing that this is stress, I'll begin to sense my clothing against my skin. I then begin feeling hot from the inside out. I loosen my clothes and walk around. I have not felt like being alone, but will let someone know, even a stranger, that I'm uncomfortable and to please stay close by. I'm in very good health, just very stressed by work.

Comment from: mumzy, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 25

My daughter is 15, she has had a lot of health issues since she was 6. She is under the care of gosh for gut problems and for multiple food allergies. This has left her with some psychological problems which she receives counseling for. The new thing of late is she has been put on 20mg of amitriptyline, to help with pain and depression. But she has been experiencing regular and worsening panic attack symptoms, ie tight chest; sweats; hard to breath; I was wondering if it's the medication or her mental health worsening.

Comment from: just me, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

With my first severe panic attack I couldn't breathe, was afraid to go outside, felt like puking, lost all my energy as soon as I got close to a door, (that took me 2 months to come out of), just about fainted and had a high heart rate. I was in the hospital for 5 hours.

Must Read Articles Related to Panic Attacks

Anxiety
Anxiety Anxiety is a feeling of apprehension, fear, or worry. Some fears and worries are justified, such as worry about a loved one. Anxiety may occur without a cause, ...learn more >>
Hyperventilation
Hyperventilation Hyperventilation syndrome is a condition where a person hyperventilates for an unknown cause. Symptoms of hyperventilation syndrome include bloating, burping, p...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Panic Attacks:

Panic Attacks - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your panic attacks?