Viewer Comments: Panic Attack - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Panic Attacks:

Panic Attack - Symptoms

What are your panic attack symptoms?

I have been suffering from panic attacks since 2002 and they have been intense for the last 3 years. I had one around Christmas in 09 and I was dancing and a few minutes later I thought I was going to die. I couldn't breathe it was the most horrifying experience that I have ever had. I believe my attacks started because I lost some loved ones, had an abusive relationship, became promiscuous, and was molested and raped as a child. Today I still have them but I am able to talk myself through them by telling myself I will be okay and so far it has worked but what bothers me is when I have them I am asleep and awakening by one it takes me a few minutes but I manage to calm myself. I am able to talk to others about my condition and its has been helpful, but I really need to talk to a licensed professional so that I can learn better coping skills then eliminate the negative self doubt and replace with positive affirmations that will last a lifetime. I hope that my ideas and concerns will help others to see that it's ok to talk about subjects you normally wouldn't and entrust in friends and family to help you through.

Comment from: Pinky, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 23

I started severe panic attacks at my past job. My boss was a bully, and my co-workers teased me about my Tourette's syndrome. I felt like I was having a heart attack. My heart was palpitating. I felt like there was a belt around my chest and someone was tightening it so I could not breathe. My hand and arm were shaking. I left work one day and just cried in my car for a while before I even tried to drive home. I then cried the whole way home. I went to see my doctor and he said it was not worth it to work there. They had already cut my hours to part-time and taken away my insurance benefits. I rested for several months, though I'm still having attacks whenever I thought about the job. I also am plagued with nightmares. I tried to work another job and only lasted 6 days before having a breakdown. The manager at the new job said that I am unemployable!

Comment from: MACKENZIES MOM, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 19

I've suffered from panic attacks for 10 years now. Thankfully, they aren't so bad now, but during a panic attack, I would get dizzy, short of breath and have a sense of losing control. I would also have a choking sensation and a headache afterward. Panic attacks are no fun and I feel sorry for anyone who suffers from them.

Comment from: Hank77, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 27

Hello, my name is Henry and I suffer from panic disorder. It's the worst feeling in the world. I have been having them now for four years now and I am still okay, but controlling the fear is the hard part, not to mention all the crazy sensations your body has when it goes into panic mode. I really say to all my friends who suffer: We are going to be okay. There is hope for us, even though it's easier said than done.

Comment from: Nikki 5, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I just had my first panic attack. I couldn't breathe. My chest was heavy and I had hot flashes. I didn't want to be confined. I was taken to the hospital. My chest still hurts and my toes and fingers are tingly.

Comment from: Zombie_Bunii, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 07

My panic attacks have not been going on for very long, but they are very strong, and worry my friends and my parents. I am bipolar, so I am happy one minute, then the next I feel like I'm under water or that the walls are closing in and I can't breathe. I think my depression and panic attacks are caused because I have had a lot of bad relationships. I've been bullied and my best friend recently died.

Comment from: Isolated, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 23

I have been diagnosed with chronic anxiety and panic disorder. I currently take an anti-depressant Effexor and I have Ativan for emergencies. I refused medications for a long time but when I had to pull over to the side of the road because I thought I was going to choke because I could not swallow.

Comment from: Rebecka, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: November 29

The first thing I feel is that I begin to lose control of myself. Then my heart flutters and races and I get scared so my stomach hurts. After that, my chest closes up and I need to escape. I desperately want someone, anyone to come save me from myself.

Must Read Articles Related to Panic Attacks

Anxiety
Anxiety Anxiety is a feeling of apprehension, fear, or worry. Some fears and worries are justified, such as worry about a loved one. Anxiety may occur without a cause, ...learn more >>
Hyperventilation
Hyperventilation Hyperventilation syndrome is a condition where a person hyperventilates for an unknown cause. Symptoms of hyperventilation syndrome include bloating, burping, p...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Panic Attacks:

Panic Attacks - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your panic attacks?