Viewer Comments: Paronychia (Nail Infection) - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Paronychia (Nail Infection):

Paronychia (Nail Infection) - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your paronychia (nail infection)?

Comment from: Yafux, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 20

My sister-in-law just drained the pus and put antibiotic cream on her nail infection. We shall see.

Comment from: ddrJsm, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 04

My podiatrist said I had an abscess in my big toe, he told me to put Neosporin on the nail infection, with a Band-Aid, and to repeat for a few days. He checks and trims my nails every 10 weeks.

Comment from: rosalind, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 22

I have had a paronychia for several weeks now. My doctor has given me two lots of antibiotics, but nothing has helped. Another doctor told me to soak it in hot soapy water and then apply magnesium sulphate. Nothing gets rid of it. I am fed up.

Comment from: frank, Male (Patient) Published: April 30

While emptying dishwasher, a fork tine went under my thumbnail and the entry area is sore and red. It's painful to touch. It happened two weeks ago

Comment from: Lavi, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 14

I was told I have paronychia by urgent care. They said it wasn't too bad. I have swelling with constant pain. I just started antibiotics and hoping it helps. It's a little better, but still swollen and kind of hard and mostly hurts only when pressure is applied when I need to do certain things.

Comment from: Rhonda, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 29

I just went yesterday to a nearby surgeon and had to have my right thumbnail removed. I have been taking antibiotics and antifungal meds. When he removed the nail there was a bad abscess under the nail. Don't put any close bandages on it if this happens to you. The bandages will stick and I had to soak most of the day my thumb in water and peroxide. It really hurt and bled when the bandage came off. The infection was really bad. Don't wait see a surgeon immediately if this happens to you. I don't have a right thumbnail unless it slowly grows back. The abscess popped when the nail came off and the doctor is sending the nail and fluid to the lab for tests.

Comment from: Melinda, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

This was the worst constant pain I have ever experienced. I went to a family doctor who told me I had cellulitis and gave me an antibiotic. Later that day the throbbing and swelling got worse so I headed to the emergency room they told me it was paronychia. They opened it up and drained it. The pain of that was awful but the relief was well worth it. Definitely don't mess around with this do something immediately.

Comment from: OG, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 04

Incision and drainage helped tremendously. Immediate relief from pain and swelling.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 16

I've had this in my toe nail. My doctor told me to soak it in warm, sudsy water with antibacterial detergent. She also gave me an antibiotic.

Comment from: gigi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 07

I went to the emergency room yesterday after reading this article. I am glad I did. It was Labor Day so I couldn't see my doctor. The doctor immediately diagnosed it as Paronychia. She lanced it and prescribed an anti-biotic. She also told me to soak it twice a day in warm water. It's much better. Like another reviewer said, don't wait.

Comment from: nurse, 35-44 (Patient) Published: July 18

My doctor lanced it and squeezed the pus out. Now I'm on antibiotics and I'm told not to submerge it.

Comment from: Kate, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

Soaking the finger in salty water didn't work. My practitioner took a sterilized needle and put it under the edge of the skin. This released the pus and it was immediate relief.

Must Read Articles Related to Paronychia (Nail Infection)

Abscess
Abscess An abscess is has several causes and can appear o...learn more >>
Cuts or Lacerations
Cuts or Lacerations Cuts and lacerations are both terms that apply to a tear in the skin, though a laceration implies a more jagged tear. These terms do not include abrasions where...learn more >>
Finger Infection
Finger Infection Finger infections can be caused by a variety of bacteria and viruses. Types of finger infections include paronychia, felon, herpetic whitlow, cellulitis, infect...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Paronychia (Nail Infection):

Paronychia (Nail Infection) - Symptoms and Signs

Please describe your paronychia symptoms and signs.