Viewer Comments: Paronychia (Nail Infection) - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Paronychia (Nail Infection):

Paronychia (Nail Infection) - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your paronychia (nail infection)?

Comment from: Melinda, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

This was the worst constant pain I have ever experienced. I went to a family doctor who told me I had cellulitis and gave me an antibiotic. Later that day the throbbing and swelling got worse so I headed to the emergency room they told me it was paronychia. They opened it up and drained it. The pain of that was awful but the relief was well worth it. Definitely don't mess around with this do something immediately.

Comment from: OG, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 04

Incision and drainage helped tremendously. Immediate relief from pain and swelling.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 16

I've had this in my toe nail. My doctor told me to soak it in warm, sudsy water with antibacterial detergent. She also gave me an antibiotic.

Comment from: gigi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 07

I went to the emergency room yesterday after reading this article. I am glad I did. It was Labor Day so I couldn't see my doctor. The doctor immediately diagnosed it as Paronychia. She lanced it and prescribed an anti-biotic. She also told me to soak it twice a day in warm water. It's much better. Like another reviewer said, don't wait.

Comment from: nurse, 35-44 (Patient) Published: July 18

My doctor lanced it and squeezed the pus out. Now I'm on antibiotics and I'm told not to submerge it.

Comment from: Kate, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

Soaking the finger in salty water didn't work. My practitioner took a sterilized needle and put it under the edge of the skin. This released the pus and it was immediate relief.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 07

Treat symptoms promptly. Soaking in warm salted water is a very good idea. I ended up needing antibiotics to knock out the infection.

Comment from: jim, Male (Patient) Published: March 23

I have been to my regular doctor 5 times for my paronychia nail infection, with no success.

Comment from: tomjoy5, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

Soaking in warm salt water at the first sign of redness seems to help.

Comment from: mmgideon01, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 20

I have had repeated bouts of paronychia over the past few years. I've lost fingernails, and have had to have nails removed twice. I suspected that I might be diabetic, since type 2 diabetes runs in my family. One doctor did a fasting blood sugar on me, which turned out okay. He didn't do an A1c, though. This past March, an A1c was done as part of my annual labwork, and I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I am hoping that since I'm now on oral diabetes medication, the paronychia won't continue to happen as often.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I sought medical treatment when the nail bed became swollen and the underside of the thumb was throbbing. Doctor put me on antibiotics and said to come back if condition worsened. Within 2 days my entire thumb was swollen, hot and red and was throbbing constantly. There was also a large pus pocket forming at the base of my nail. The doctor lanced it, squeezed out the pus and put a wick in the infected pocket. I was then put on oral antibiotics and given a shot of antibiotics. My thumb is fine although my thumb nail is slightly deformed. Don't wait to get this treated. It all happened very quickly.