Viewer Comments: Paronychia (Nail Infection) - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Paronychia (Nail Infection):

Paronychia (Nail Infection) - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your paronychia (nail infection)?

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 07

Treat symptoms promptly. Soaking in warm salted water is a very good idea. I ended up needing antibiotics to knock out the infection.

Comment from: jim, Male (Patient) Published: March 23

I have been to my regular doctor 5 times for my paronychia nail infection, with no success.

Comment from: tomjoy5, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

Soaking in warm salt water at the first sign of redness seems to help.

Comment from: mmgideon01, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 20

I have had repeated bouts of paronychia over the past few years. I've lost fingernails, and have had to have nails removed twice. I suspected that I might be diabetic, since type 2 diabetes runs in my family. One doctor did a fasting blood sugar on me, which turned out okay. He didn't do an A1c, though. This past March, an A1c was done as part of my annual labwork, and I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I am hoping that since I'm now on oral diabetes medication, the paronychia won't continue to happen as often.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I sought medical treatment when the nail bed became swollen and the underside of the thumb was throbbing. Doctor put me on antibiotics and said to come back if condition worsened. Within 2 days my entire thumb was swollen, hot and red and was throbbing constantly. There was also a large pus pocket forming at the base of my nail. The doctor lanced it, squeezed out the pus and put a wick in the infected pocket. I was then put on oral antibiotics and given a shot of antibiotics. My thumb is fine although my thumb nail is slightly deformed. Don't wait to get this treated. It all happened very quickly.

Must Read Articles Related to Paronychia (Nail Infection)

Abscess
Abscess An abscess is has several causes and can appear on many parts of the body, such as the dental, vaginal, and rectal areas. In general, home remedies or cures are...learn more >>
Cuts or Lacerations
Cuts or Lacerations Cuts and lacerations are both terms that apply to a tear in the skin, though a laceration implies a more jagged tear. These terms do not include abrasions where...learn more >>
Finger Infection
Finger Infection Finger infections can be caused by a variety of bacteria and viruses. Types of finger infections include paronychia, felon, herpetic whitlow, cellulitis, infect...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Paronychia (Nail Infection):

Paronychia (Nail Infection) - Symptoms and Signs

Please describe your paronychia symptoms and signs.