Viewer Comments: Paronychia (Nail Infection) - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Paronychia (Nail Infection):

Paronychia (Nail Infection) - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your paronychia (nail infection)?

Comment from: Pyronichia, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: May 19

I had acute paronychia on my last finger of my hand. The pus had spread inside the nail. So the doctor took out my nail. After 1 month the paronychia was seen on middle finger, I myself took out pus using a sterilized blade. Now since 2 days I have swollen last finger whose nail was taken, redness, and pain has increased.

Comment from: Karen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

Due to an altered gait after foot surgery, I get recurrent paronychia in my big toe which hurts a lot and often develops pus. This is what works for me every time; gently pull the infected tissue away from the nail to release pus, wash out with a heavy stream of tap water. I use the garden hose. Then pack gently between the nail and the infected skin a little bit of cotton wool which has been soaked in straight tea tree oil. This keeps the space open and able to drain any further rubbish out. Also tea tree is highly anti-fungal as well as antibacterial. Overnight this always improves things a lot and it is sometimes almost healed after a second treatment.

Comment from: Mechanic Farmer, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 29

Well, my paronychia started after chipping and painting hog feeders. The right thumb has a tender area along the edge of the nail in the direction of the other fingers. The skin is separated from the nail; has a small pocket. It has been about three months now. My doctor instructed me to soak morning and evening in warm white distilled vinegar each day. I am doing 5 minutes each day. I was using 3 percent hydrogen peroxide to soak the finger also for five minutes. The infection is not getting worse but not healing. I use my hand and thumb every day for the technician work that I do. The nail is felt to be pressing the skin when a task calls for contact to the area. I try to grip without pressing the skin at the location towards the other fingers so it can heal. Difficult! I was trying Mercuroclear for a week. I quit as there was no improvement. I am looking to use liquid garlic extract next. I will try the warm 50/50 mixture of distilled water (we have a well) and antibacterial soap for 15 minutes each day before the garlic extract and see if that gives better improvement. I wear nitrile gloves to keep out dirt during work in my garden and at the job. I want to avoid the oral antibiotic, clindamycin, which may have a low risk side effect of possible liver injury.

Comment from: lola, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

My doctor gave me 4 weeks of antibiotics and soaking, but my paronychia didn't get better. So then he tried 2 weeks of bacterial medications, which didn't work and also gave me a rash. Then he referred me to a hand doctor, who gave me antifungal medications topical and oral, 3 weeks on this and it is slowly getting better. Half my nail fell off with more that looks like it will, but it doesn't hurt like it did. I have 3 weeks of medicines left then hopefully it will be all cleared up, except for no nail. I advise anyone not to wait to see doctor over what seems to be superficial.

Comment from: Mrs B., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I am going through chemotherapy and I just noticed my ring finger turning red first on the side and spreading up to the middle and sore to touch. I soaked it with equal parts of white vinegar and water and I scraped banana peel and applied around it with the use of Band-Aid. Now it is starting to dry and I have less pain. I went to show it to my doctor the following day and he advised me to put triple antibiotic if my paronychia got worse. He asked me what I put, and I said I tried to use my emergency home remedy and it helps.

Comment from: lastlooks, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I found great relief for my paronychia with tea tree oil. Pain went away after I soaked it.

Comment from: Sneakyshopper, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 04

I have had swelling around my left index finger tip/nail area for almost a year. It has traveled around the fingertip to the side of my fingertip, to under one side of the nail, red and painful, but never any pus that can be seen. It is mostly red and very painful. Soaking in warm Epsom salt really helps, but I have to do it daily. I am on antibiotics now and the paronychia is seeming to go. I haven't used my finger for a long time; so frustrated.

Comment from: anonymous, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 30

My paronychia got to the painful point, and I began soaking my nails in warm water. Pain has mostly gone away although they are still red and swollen. So either my finger died or it is slowly getting better on its own. Will continue soaking.

Must Read Articles Related to Paronychia (Nail Infection)

Abscess
Abscess An abscess is has several causes and can appear o...learn more >>
Cuts or Lacerations
Cuts or Lacerations Cuts and lacerations are both terms that apply to a tear in the skin, though a learn more >>
Finger Infection
Finger Infection Finger infections can be caused by a variety of bacteria and viruses. Types of finger infections include paronychia, felon, herpetic whitlow, cellulitis, infect...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Paronychia (Nail Infection):

Paronychia (Nail Infection) - Symptoms and Signs

Please describe your paronychia symptoms and signs.