Viewer Comments: Pelvic Inflammatory Disease - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID):

Pelvic Inflammatory Disease - Symptoms

Please describe your symptoms of pelvic inflammatory disease.

Comment from: Jane, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I am a nurse of 30+ years I was horrified to be diagnosed with PID at 48yrs old, married for 23 yrs. Horrified because I too thought that PID was only caused by STD. I had fevers extreme left sided pain radiating to my back, constant nausea, and I just felt dreadful. My symptoms came on quite quickly and exacerbated rapidly, it was all due to a perforated appendix swiftly followed by a ruptured ovarian cyst. I just cannot believe how almost all websites I have researched identify STD as the main cause of PID with minimal information regarding other causes. Whatever the cause, it is a dreadful disease to have, manage, and live with.

Comment from: Sudha, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 24

I have severe pelvic inflammation which causes unbearable pain during periods.

Comment from: beatrice malisa, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

I have been ill since 2007 and I have taken several treatment of UTI as recommended, but I never healed since that time. On September 2011 medical check-up showed that I have PID.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

When I have PID, I had abdominal pain; pain in the pelvic region, and bleeding even after my menstrual period.

Comment from: ashanti, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I have pelvic inflammatory disease and my symptoms are a strong smelling discharge, as well as pain in the belly and in my back.

Comment from: Tyyt, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

Abdominal pain, increased vaginal fluid and back pain are symptoms I've had with PID.

Comment from: Eric, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 02

With my PID, I have hip joint pain that shoots down my right leg when trying to stand, and I get fevers at night.

Comment from: AshleyElizabeth, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 10

I was diagnosed with pod at the age 16. I am now 21. I was in extreme pain going back and forth to the doctor. I had a cyst that has ruptured and the doctors didn't know so they kept giving my antibiotics and sending me home. Finally I went back after that and they did a pelvic exam and it was very bad. I was admitted into the hospital right away. I had a very high fever and I was very weak. I thought I was dying. They put IVs in me and started antibiotics I was on the highest dosage they could give me. After 3 days it didn't work and I was told I had to have an emergency surgery and that they were going to remove everything and I was only 16. I went to surgery and they didn't have to take anything they just cleaned the infection out and I now have a big scar. I am now engaged to be married and I was told I would never have kids. This hurts me every day of my life. All I ever wanted was to be a mommy and I can't. Girls, listen to your bodies. PID is a very serious illness.

Comment from: Hepsi, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 20

I have endometriosis and right ovary was removed 6 years ago. About a month ago, I suddenly had pain in the lower right abdomen. When the bladder empties, pain spreads towards the groin and the lower back. It was weird and I never had such a pain. I went to GYN and she examined me said it is PID and put me on a course of antibiotics and after vaginal suppositories. I felt alright, pain had totally gone. After stopping the medication, in 3 days pain is back all over again. Pap smear report suggests cervical inflammation. Doctor had asked me to do urine culture and complete blood picture (CBP). Hope my condition is diagnosed correctly soon.

Comment from: Katelyn, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

Today, I just found out that I have chronic PID. I really haven't had many symptoms, the only one being I have be on my "period" for over a month. I really hope it hasn't traveled to my tubes, and I caught it in time. Me being only 18, I always gets UTI's at least once or twice a year. The last time I was in the hospital (this was before I found out I have PID) I had thought I needed my appendix removed, but they said I had a "Kidney infection" But from what I'm hearing from everyone else's comments, it makes me wonder if it was really miss diagnosed and was really PID. My doctor told me that I have had it for at least 8 months. I am so scared. I hope I don't have this for the rest of my life. I wouldn't want anyone to have this. I've only known I have had it for a day, and I am so stressed out.

Must Read Articles Related to Pelvic Inflammatory Disease

Adhesions (General and After Surgery)
Adhesions, General and After Surgery Adhesions are bands of scar tissue that form over organs. Adhesions can occur in the abdomen, pelvic region, or around the heart. Adhesions generally do not cau...learn more >>
Cervicitis
Cervicitis Cervicitis is an infection of the lower genital tract (inflammation of the cervix). Cervicitis may be caused by STD's or injuries to the cervix. Cervicitis symp...learn more >>
Chlamydia
Chlamydia Chlamydia is a sexual transmitted disease (STD) transmitted when people have sexual relations. Often, there are no symptoms. Chlamydia is caused by the bacteriu...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID):

Pelvic Inflammatory Disease - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your pelvic inflammatory disease?