Viewer Comments: Pelvic Inflammatory Disease - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID):

Pelvic Inflammatory Disease - Symptoms

Please describe your symptoms of pelvic inflammatory disease.

Comment from: s, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 07

I've been having the worst stomach pains for about a week and a half. Each day they get worse to the point that I can't stand up straight or breathe right. I went to the gynecologist and was told it must be a bowel problem based on the area of my stomach that hurt. I ended up going to the emergency room but left with no answers. The next day I went back to the ER with stabbing/piercing pain in my stomach. After a CT scan, they tell me I have PID. I was given an IV antibiotic and another one in pill form for 10 days. I have never felt pain like this in my life! I hope the pain subsides soon. I wouldn't wish this on anybody.

Comment from: judy, 45-54 Female Published: May 03

I was diagnosed with pelvic inflammatory disease. I had lower abdominal pain, fever, severe weakness and headache. I was in the hospital for two days recently. They thought I had a ruptured cyst on my ovary. I'm now taking medications, but I don't feel any better.

Comment from: Angie, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 09

I am 22 years old. I was diagnosed with PID just last night after being extremely ill for a week and half. I have a history of interstitial cystitis and polycystic ovarian syndrome so when I started getting pelvic pain again I thought it was no big deal. My doctor ordered a pelvic ultrasound but everything came back normal so we just left it alone. That has been about two half weeks ago. Unfortunately, I started running a fever and then I got chills really bad. I developed nausea and loss of appetite, and headaches. Two days ago I was on my way to school and almost passed out. I called 911 and they took me to the emergency room. I have a cardiac history so instead of investigating why I felt so poorly the ER doctor assumed it was a flare up of my heart problem and sent me home without ordering hardly any tests. Last night the chills got horrible and so did the abdominal pain so I went back to the ER and the doctor ran several tests before concluding that he felt it was PID. I am now on two antibiotics but unfortunately they have caused me to start vomiting. As soon as my OB/GYN's office opens in the morning I am going to call and make an appointment. I hope I have not done damage to my reproductive organs but I have had chronic pelvic pain for years so I wonder if I have been misdiagnosed for a period of time now.

Comment from: knowledgeableone, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

Wow! PID is the worst feeling ever. I got mine from a brand name IUD and ever since I got my IUD taken out, I get PID every time I go into the doctors. To me, having PID is like always being sick to the point where the medications don't help and won't work.

Comment from: Janice, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 22

After my period, I would get an abnormal discharge, sometimes with traces of blood. Then it could turn yellow. The cramps were so unbearable that I had to go see a doctor who later told me I had PID. I was put on medication, and after a few days, I got better. I got my next period and there was no reoccurrence of the cramps after the period. My only worry is that I hope it did not damage my reproductive system because I want to have children some day.

Comment from: lisa, 19-24 (Patient) Published: October 19

I had just gave birth to my son, he was about a week old my mom told me it was just my uterus going back in its normal shape. The pain was way worse than child birth, after a week I went to the hospital they did exploratory surgery said it was pid. That was worst pain ever hospital stay was 2 weeks.

Comment from: M . K., 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I am a 28 years old female from india. I had fever, stomach ache, back ache, nausea, loss of appetite since last 8-10 days My doctor suggested ultrasound of abdomen and pelvis. I was diagnosed suffering from pelvic inflammatory disease. The disease is treatable according to the doctor.

Comment from: AndiTTCwithOneTube, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 29

I'm 19, and I have chronic PID. They diagnosed me when I was 14, and I have had recurrent episodes ever since. They can't find anything to help me. I have already had Hydrosalpinx in my left fallopian tube. They removed it April 20th, 2010. Now PID is attacking my other fallopian tube. I was in the ER twice yesterday. Ultrasound to see if it has affected my right side is appointed for tomorrow. It's an awful disease and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Must Read Articles Related to Pelvic Inflammatory Disease

Adhesions (General and After Surgery)
Adhesions, General and After Surgery Adhesions are bands of scar tissue that form over organs. Adhesions can occur in the abdomen, pelvic region, or around the heart. Adhesions generally do not cau...learn more >>
Cervicitis
Cervicitis Cervicitis is an infection of the lower genital tract (inflammation of the cervix). Cervicitis may be caused by STD's or injuries to the cervix. Cervicitis symp...learn more >>
Chlamydia
Chlamydia Chlamydia is a sexual transmitted disease (STD) transmitted when people have sexual relations. Often, there are no symptoms. Chlamydia is caused by the bacteriu...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID):

Pelvic Inflammatory Disease - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your pelvic inflammatory disease?