Viewer Comments: Pelvic Inflammatory Disease - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID):

Pelvic Inflammatory Disease - Symptoms

Please describe your symptoms of pelvic inflammatory disease.

Comment from: Dare, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 03

I am a 58 year old grandmother, who has been having the symptoms of PID. I am just now getting over several months of severe lower abdominal pain, cramps and low grade fever. I have a history of cysts on my female organs, including a cyst that ruptured and made me believe I was dying. My daughter is now going through a much deeper case of this disease. She is consumed with cysts that have become infected and she had hospital care for days. She is on antibiotics for four weeks now. A hysterectomy is coming, I am afraid. What really makes our situation strange is my 8 year old granddaughter has the same pains and fever and was seen by a doctor today. She could possibly have the same thing.

Comment from: hayley3, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

Mine was severe and I developed reactive arthritis after and I have found very little information about that so it has been a fight for years to get a diagnosis even though my sacroiliac started bothering me a month after being released from the hospital. I did have a baby after two or three surgeries to fix the tubes. But my lower back pain has been hell all these years and doctors are clueless as to what a bad case of PID can do.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 21

I had severe pain on my right lower pelvis area and my husband took me to the ER. Come to find out I had diverticulitis with a perforation. I spent a week in the hospital in antibiotics and pain meds. Another week of oral antibiotics and then after a week without them I had a rebound of the pain. Back on antibiotics, but still had pain. Surgeon referred me to a GYN and now I'm diagnosed with PID. In my research online, diverticulitis can cause PID. I really wish the basic web sites that explain PID would mention this. Granted it is rare (especially at my age of 42) but it's also misleading to have the sites put STD's as pretty much the only reason for PID. This won't allow me to put the web sites where I found this information but I did a search under tubo-ovarian abscess which is what happened because of the perforation. I've been off work for 5 weeks now and the doctors still don't know if they are going to do surgery. This is very frustrating!

Comment from: amanda_baybeee, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I am 20 years old and have a 2 year old son. About a week ago I began getting really bad pains that felt like my uterus was cramping (like it did after childbirth). I honestly thought I was having a miscarriage but didn't even know I was prego. I have an IUD (Mirena) and was like there's no way I'm prego. Finally the pain became unbearable and my boyfriend took me to the ER. They diagnosed me with a UTI (which I'm prone to anyways- nothing new for me to hear) but as they ran my labs, they found I have PID. As soon as they said that I broke down crying because I didn't know what it was or how it happened. My boyfriend wants a kid of his own so for me it was devastating that I might not be able to have anymore. But they gave me a shot (haven't heard anyone else talk about getting a shot, so now I'm curious) and put me on an antibiotic. Hopefully I get better soon. It's been 2 days and I'm still in pain, but it doesn't feel as bad today.

Comment from: brittanypowell, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I was recently told I have PID and I'm only 17 and it scared me and my boyfriend because I thought I was pregnant because I had nausea, decrease in appetite, and minor lower stomach pain one night. the next morning I woke up crying cause I was in so much pain I could hardly move I ended up falling on my way to the restroom cause I felt like I was going to vomit, but got to dizzy before I got there I had to call 911 to get me to the hospital where I found out I have two cysts on my ovaries and I have PID and I might not be able to have kids which is depressing to me and my boyfriend, but we are still trying to find a way to get around the pain and we are still talking to the doctor for help.

Comment from: Gemini, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I am 38 and have been diagnosed with PID two days ago after about a month of vague symptoms that included low grade fever, extreme fatigue, lower back pain that spread to legs on occasions, and lower abdominal pain. My fear is that I have had PID for much longer than a month, as I had had some of these symptoms over the course of the last two years. I was given two antibiotics to take over 14 days, hopefully this will clear it altogether. I am now worried about potential damage to organs caused by this condition. It may be worth mentioning that several GPs completely misdiagnosed me, and I was persistent enough to eventually find one that would listen and actually put some thought into the whole case. One of the wrong diagnosis included "irritable bowel syndrome"! The full onset of PID can - from my experience - make you feel beyond miserable. I have been listless, unwell, exhausted and sleepy all along. Can't wait for the antibiotics to kick in! I am still waiting for the results of a full scan to STDs, but presumably it is clear as my partner's came back clear. Earlier this year a bacteria (Ureaplasma urealyticum) was found in my vagina, and I wonder whether the onset of PID has to do with this particular bacteria.

Must Read Articles Related to Pelvic Inflammatory Disease

Adhesions (General and After Surgery)
Adhesions, General and After Surgery Adhesions are bands of scar tissue that form over organs. Adhesions can occur in the abdomen, pelvic region, or around the heart. Adhesions generally do not cau...learn more >>
Cervicitis
Cervicitis Cervicitis is an infection of the lower genital tract (inflammation of the cervix). Cervicitis may be caused by STD's or injuries to the cervix. Cervicitis symp...learn more >>
Chlamydia
Chlamydia Chlamydia is a sexual transmitted disease (STD) transmitted when people have sexual relations. Often, there are no symptoms. Chlamydia is caused by the bacteriu...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID):

Pelvic Inflammatory Disease - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your pelvic inflammatory disease?